Sidney Update: Test results

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SidneysMom, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Hi everyone.

So the vet called to confirm Sidney's diabetes diagnosis. His fructosamine test was in the 500 range. :-/ So the vet said he's had it a while. And he didn't have symptoms of peeing and drinking like crazy, so I feel like a crappy cat mom for not recognizing his extra hunger might have been the diabetes. I didn't see typical symptoms so I didn't think much about it being a problem.

Now, I wait for Monday. He has an appointment at 11:20am where we learn how to give insulin and he gets his first shot. I admit, the waiting portion has me stressed. Especially knowing how long he's had this. I'm using the opportunity to gather a supply list (A few people have helped me with that on another thread, thank you!) and make a few purchases.

I guess I'm officially a part of the community now, as is Sidney.

The vet said we will start him out on the lowest dose and work upward if necessary. He will be getting Caninsulin. I still can't believe this.

I'm trying to take the attitude that I am lucky to have been given the diagnosis of something that is SO treatable, and look at it as a blessing. I admit, I've done some crying, though.
    Last night was the FIRST night I've seen him pee more than usual. He peed three times in five and a half hours. I know he also has a UTI, but he peed a huge amount after getting back from the vet and regular amounts after. Since I'm home all day, I'd notice him peeing more, but that was the first ever time.
    Sigh. I'm not ready for this!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up about not noticing sooner. It's not like you expect your cat to be diabetic, and hunger alone might not jump out quickly as an obvious symptom. You'll do fine! You are off to a good start being here.

When you talk about supplies, I assume you mean for home glucose testing and maybe low carb wet food? Those are both important.

You may want to ask the vet about going with a longer lasting insulin. Levemir and Lantus would be the best options and ProZinc is also good. Caninsulin is better for dogs. It is not as long lasting and can cause quicker, harsher drops. It is used on cats, but if you can get one of the others instead, you will likely have better results.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Definitely don't feel like a crappy cat mom. My girl's diagnosis was weird; she got sick and didn't eat nearly three full days so she lost over half her weight in that time. When she started eating again and wanting SO MUCH I just...thought it was because she lost all the weight? In fact the only reason I took her in was because she has green diarrhea for several weeks - definitely not a typical diabetes symptom. So don't feel bad. And I did the same thing as you - instant relief because it was treatable, and then lots of crying after when realization really set in. We're all here for you and can completely relate!

My advice for you is to start SLOW. Don't spend every waking moment on this website, it will frustrate and stress you out. There is too much to learn all at once. One thing at a time. :)

I agree with FurBabiesMama, I know your vet has prescribed Caninsulin but most cats do poorly on the insulin and on top of that it's more work for YOU...because it does not last long enough and drops them swiftly and almost dangerously, the food and insulin routine takes much more time out of your day and you have to watch more closely. Consider Levemir or Lantus if you can stick to the 12-hour cycle well. If you need wiggle room (like if you leave early/come home late on a regular basis-type deal due to your own schedule) chose ProZinc.

I would take this opportunity to switch Sidney to low-carb food BEFORE starting insulin. You're in a great spot to do this actually as it will definitely lower the need for insulin. :)

4. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Well, this makes me concerned. I am getting him his first dose of insulin at the vet and I'm sure they don't have Lantus. They said they only have CanInsulin. I'm not opposed to giving him Lantus but I'm not sure I can get that by his second dose. And I'd already have the needles and stuff from the vet that I need for the Caninsulin.
    This is so overhwhelming.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Lantus, and Levemir, are available OTC at Canadian pharmacies. Ask your vet if they are on board with using Lantus, then you can buy it before hand. Get a five pack of cartridges, best value for money. You will also need u-100 syringes. Get the BD Ultrafine II, purple and yellow box.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It is overwhelming at first, but try to breathe and take it one thing at a time. Can you go ahead and get a glucose meter this weekend and start testing? Have you already switched to low-carb wet food?

If you have not used the supplies you already got from the vet, surely they will let you return them and get your money back.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I just posted similar information in your other thread.

Many of us miss early signs. You didn't really have any signs to miss. At this point it's spilled milk. You've done a great job of seeking out information and moving forward.

One thought regarding the upcoming vet visit. You will need to dose insulin every 12-hours You may not want to give a shot at the vet's office since it could put your shot schedule at a very awkward time. Vet's sometimes forget the practicalities that you probably don't want to be giving Sidney a shot at noon and midnight! You might want to give some thought as to what is a good time to give insulin relative to your lifestyle.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.