Signs of DKA, moderate ketones - Is this ER level?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rachel (Huey and Hershey), Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel (Huey and Hershey)

Rachel (Huey and Hershey) New Member

Hi all,

We found out 5 days ago that our cat probably has a cancerous tumor. A few days after the vet visit, he started eating significantly less and peeing outside the litter box. Today, he only at a few licks of wet food and a tiny bit of tuna. I tested for ketones (only the 2nd time I've done this) and they are in the moderate range. We went ahead and gave him his insulin. He is definitely more lethargic and seems quite sick, though he is walking around a fairly alert. We though it was the cancer, but maybe it's DKA knowing his ketones level now.

Is this something we take him to the ER vet immediately? Or wait until morning and take him to our vet?

Thanks,
    Rachel

2. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Rachel, the basic recipe for developing DKA is an insufficient supply of insulin + inappetance + infection or other systemic stresses

when testing with Ketostix, trace readings are cause for concern. Ketones can build up quickly, and if he hasn't been eating and if you are actually getting moderate ketones on a urine test strip, I'd be taking him to emergency. One good sign that he has already developed DKA is to smell his breath, if it smells like nail polish remover or fruit, that's a tell-tale sign of DKA.

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Anything over "trace" ketones is an emergency. I'd get him in tonight.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Rachel (Huey and Hershey)

Rachel (Huey and Hershey) New Member

Thank you both for the responses. We ended up taking him in and he's spending the night at the hospital to get fluids and regulate his BG. His ketones were high, but fortunately he was not in acidosis yet.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Please keep us updated

This would be helpful
    Would you like to set up your signature
    Go all the way up top to you name tap on it and a drop box will appear , you will see the word signature, tap that and just add all your information about Huey and hit save.

Take a look at my signature all about Tyler all signatures are at the end of everyone's posts in gray

Add info we need to help you:
    • Caregiver & kitty's name
    • DX: Date
    • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
    • Name of your meter
    • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
    • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
    • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
    • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
    • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

We can have @Bandit's Mom Bhoima who can set up our spreadsheet for you so we can help you with dosing. She will send you a private message where it says inbox up top.
    I'm so sorry about the tumor are they positive it's cancer?
    What did they do to confirm it. What are they suggesting you do about it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.