Slept more than normal last night, anything to worry about?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Whitney and Jonas, Jun 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

Hi again everyone... I’m so sorry to keep on with my worrisome posts but I can’t get myself to stop freaking out over every little thing Jonas does or doesn’t do. I haven’t been sleeping much because of my worrying so when I do wake up, I go check on him. Usually he is awake at least a few times during the night, but last night every time I woke up, he was asleep.

Is there much of a difference between sleepy and lethargic and when do I need to worry? When I have woken him up, he seems alert and purrs loudly, and twice he’s hopped down from the recliner to jump onto the sofa where he gets his tests and treats after I’ve woken him. I also saw him grooming himself a few times, and he definitely peed during the night too.

I just woke up for the day and he was asleep, but stirred when I did and he’s up and about now

Am I worrying over nothing? The ketones/DKA fear really has me in its grasp and I’m overanalyzing everything he does/doesn’t do.

Thank you all so much again. I’m grateful for all of you for putting up with me. He had no reds yesterday at all so I hope we’re moving in the right direction.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I do suspect you are worrying more than you need to! One thing that you can do to help ease the worry is test for ketones. (If you already are doing so, put a note in the comments section of your SS.) Given that the numbers are still in the higher range, testing for ketones is a good preventative measure. When we're concerned about lethargy, it's because cats become lethargic if they have ketones. You can find Ketostix at any pharmacy and all you need to do is test your kitty's urine.

Your kitty may be sleeping more because you keep waking him up! Frankly, I'd pay money to not have my cats wake me at 5:00 AM! (My civic got used to getting up at shot time and even with Gabby gone, he still thinks 5 AM is when I need to be feeding him.)

Are you transitioning Jonas off of the dry food? That will help his numbers.

3. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

I hope you’re right! :( I have anxiety disorders so I know that compounds everything and I tend to obsess. I ordered a ketone meter that will hopefully be here early next week; I haven’t tried sticks because he doesn’t even like when someone looks at him when he goes to the restroom or if another kitty is around. I’m just worried I’m going to drive myself insane until then. I keep reading about DKA symptoms over and over again and then obsessively watching him for them.

We are beginning to transition him away from dry :) his party mix has been reduced to just a couple of pieces a day with more purebites chicken and shrimp in it’s place. I’m also working on finding a new low carb chicken kibble for when he wants to munch on that, but we don’t give him dry food at his meals. He had the FF cod, sole, and shrimp pate this morning with a bit of purebites crumbs on top and ate fantastically :)

thank you so much for your response. I feel bad being so spazzy but I can’t get my brain to shut off and stop fearing the worst. I really hope his meter will arrive Monday possibly. I got a more expedited shipping for it.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You really don't want to feeding any dry food if it's at all avoidable. Most of the dry foods are high in carbs. They are full of unnecessary ingredients (e.g., barley, cranberries), and are low in moisture. Cat's have a very limited thirst drive and as a species, get their water from eating live prey (or canned food). There's not sufficient moisture in dry food to be good for your cat's kidneys.

You have some alternatives if your cat wants a more solid/crunchier food. Stella & Chewy's makes freeze dried raw food that's low in carbs. ZiwiPeak also has an air dried raw food that is more like a jerky treat. If you're concerned about leaving canned food out so Jonas can graze, many people use a timed feeder. Some of the feeders have space for an ice pack.

One want to make sure Jonas is feeling OK is to play with him. A sick cat will ignore your effort to play. Also, while this may not be the case with Jonas, most sick cats will hide.

Whitney and Jonas likes this.
  5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

You are stronger than you know. We are here for you. :bighug:
    jeanne

6. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

We're going to slowly try to get to the point of no dry, or the littlest amount possible. We have 7 kitties so it's a little tricky unfortunately :( But it's at least never given to Jonas as a primary meal so I hope that's a step in the right direction. I will absolutely look into Stella and Chewy's, and ZiwiPeak - I have never heard of either of those before. I definitely want to always have something down as it gives me peace of mind, so that will be an avenue to explore. Thank you so much for that Sienne <3 I worry so much that I have let him down for so long because his vet never explained things so thoroughly. I love our vet and we've used him since I was a teen, but I'm getting the impression that many vets aren't as knowledgeable about feline diabetes as they could be. I'm sure a lot of it comes from firsthand experience, too <3 I'm really glad I found these forums, I just wish it had been sooner.

So far this morning he's ate breakfast very well, had a great-looking poo (so glad no one else here thinks it's weird to comment on cat poop), and he's lounging on the arm of the sofa now waiting to get some plain baked chicken when the pup eats :) He's always been picky about playing, even when he was younger - sometimes he'll play for ages, even as recently as last week, and sometimes he goes a couple days without showing much interest in his toys. We swatted a ball around a bit together I believe it was the day before yesterday, I'll see if he's interested in that at all today too <3 He definitely has purring, peeing, pooping, and preening covered, and he's played recently even if not so far today. Yesterday he stood on his hind legs when he saw I had purebites and this morning he was eyeing up Beth, one of the girls that he especially loves to run after and play with, but pup walked between them and interrupted, lol. So I'm trying to tell myself that even if he was a bit sleepy last night, which I definitely could have played a part in, that he's acted extremely normally.

Thank you so, so much too Jeanne <3 you are always so positive and it helps me more than I can say. I appreciate everyone here so much.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

Are you kidding? WE LUVS OUR CAT POOPS!

8. jt and trouble (GA)

And we appreciate care givers going that extra mile for their charges! :bighug:

9. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

:joyful: My mom always acted like I was a weirdo for commenting on his poops. I'm glad I've found my people!

I had to get back to work, but I slipped away for a few minutes when I gave him his baked chicken and we swatted his cute little stuffed blueberry toy back and forth for a few minutes, he scooped it up in his paws and tossed it :) He's also gotten two good drinks that I've seen since I've been up. I'm proud of him today :cat: All 5 P's are officially accounted for today! His AMPS was 350 and I want to get him out of the purples so we're staying with our new dose of 3.25U, but we went more than 24 hours with NO REDS!

10. jt and trouble (GA)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! GO JONAS GOOOOO!!!

11. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

I guess I shouldn't have worried about him sleeping through the night because he's been up almost all day now since about 7am, and it's nearly 1:30pm now :D... he's just taken some very short naps and has otherwise been up and about :) Still no reds and he was into the yellows at his +6!

12. jt and trouble (GA)

:D:cool::bighug:

13. Whitney and Jonas

Whitney and Jonas Member

I started Jonas a thread in the ProZinc section but I wanted to share here that he had a 339 PMPS which means we are nearly 48 hours into seeing no reds at all!!! <3

He has also barely slept all day so I'm telling myself not to worry too much if he conks out again tonight :facepalm: I'm hoping we'll be cruising in yellows more consistently soon! If he's in the 300s for his AMPS, I'll probably up his dose to 3.5U in the morning so I can be up and about more to test him more regularly.

Also, his ketone meter has an updated delivery date of Monday and our mail runs normally pretty early in the morning, so I just need to get through the weekend and I can begin testing for ketones and hopefully finally calm myself down :)

14. jt and trouble (GA)

:bighug:
    Hold on for more replies...Jonas sounds like hes feeling better YAY! :D
    AND I bet you do too!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.