Slipped out of remission back on insulin tomorrow :(

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah_MrP, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Sarah_MrP

Sarah_MrP New Member

Hi!

New to the forum.

I'm Sarah - mum to Pilchard more commonly known as Mr P. He is 16 next month and was first diagnosed with diabetes in July 2018, we achieved remission in Nov 2018 after home testing and a diet change. We've been there up until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed he seemed skinner and was having trouble jumping up. A BG test gave me a bad number.
    We visited the vets who didn't want to jump straight back onto insulin incase his BG was raised due to stress, (I've had some work done on the house recently and Mr P had a flea - which has been treated now) his teeth were checked an although there was some build up nothing significant. He'd not lost weight either, he'd actually put on a small amount since his last visit. I've been monitoring his BG and his numbers aren't coming down, a urine sample has shown glucose too :( So tomorrow we are back at the vets to pick up and restart insulin (and recheck his teeth as he's been having trouble eating and wasn’t hugely compliant last time!)
    Last time I used vet pen and caninsulin, however this time I have requested Prozinc and obviously won't be using a pen. I'm so nervous as last time I wasn't armed with a huge amount of knowledge I just got on with it - I didn't even home test for two months! I'm terrified of giving him a hypo. Insulin will be at 6am and 6pm - I live alone and have to work so some days I will leave the house around 7.30am and others days around 10.30am so there won't be anyone to keep an eye on him after insulin.
    I'm here to ask what dose would you suggest starting at? I have attached the link to his SS - hopefully it works. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mr P's Spreadsheet - Google Sheets

Sarah and Mr P

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  2. Sarah_MrP

Sarah_MrP New Member

No response, that’s a shame. I’d been advised to use this forum especially for dosing advice :(

3. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Hi Sarah, tagging @Deb & Wink who is much more knowledgeable than me (I'm also quite new to this!)

However, looking your spreadsheet, our cats are in a very similar situation - feeding Sheba FF, on ProZinc, using the GlucoNavii!

The vets started me on 1.5u, but after I made a diet change from Purina DM dry to 100% Sheba FF, his numbers dropped really quickly and I had to drop his dose fairly quickly over a couple of weeks to where I'm now on 0.25u.

I would definitely recommend if you can getting some additional BG readings throughout the day where possible so we can better advise you. You base the dosage on the nadir (the lowest BG level during the day and night cycles), so without knowing that it's very hard to say whether or not Pilchard's dosage needs changing.

Sarah_MrP likes this.
  4. Sarah_MrP

Sarah_MrP New Member

Thank you I’m going to drop him back to 0.5 of a unit I think and do a curve on Tuesday to get that nadir. As he’s already on a low carb diet I’m not sure how much hope there is of a second remission

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

We really need to see the trends on Pilchard's SS, in order to see what the dose is doing for him.

6. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

Hi Sarah, my cat logan was diagnosed in Nov 2020, we use the Relion Prime meter.. lots of folks use them here. I'm not an expert.. so i won't advise.. but I was advised to get my cats nadir... which means not only to test at amps and pmps but generally test +4 and +6 at least,,, if you think his nadir is around +5... but testing more often if possible,.,,. even if its on the weekends if thats when u are home would help. knowing the nadir helps in advising the dosages,, but nothing is carved in stone,

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member