? Snowball PMPS 424 -need advise on insulin shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sumaira Aslam, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Hi all,

need advice as I have recently switched Snowball to Levemir from Caninsulin I am struggling to get the right dose. So currently snowball would be on 1 unit but during AM cycle he is testing lower then 150 so I am shooting less due to which at PM cycle BG level is high so as per my understanding levemir works for full cycle so in morning despite BG being low should I shot 1 unit full as insulin will be effective after 3-4 hours?

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Thanks

4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Next time you get a PS under 150, Stall, don't feed and test again in 20-30 minutes to see if the number comes up without food. That's a good indication that it's OK to go ahead and shoot. You can also use that time to post here with a clear subject line like "STALLING! NEED HELP!" Once you get somebody's attention, you can change the subject line later.

Also remember, since the shot doesn't usually start to "kick in" for 3-4 hours, you're going to be feeding which will bring the BG up and the last shot will be also be wearing off.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I agree with Chris.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Another thing to consider is that Levemir has later nadirs - you are going to be presented with much lower nadirs than you were on Caninsulin, and lower than Lantus. My girl used to often nadir around preshot time. However, the onset - when the next shot starts to take effect, can be 3-5 hours later. That leaves plenty of time for the numbers to come up after preshot. You don't have enough data on Levemir yet to see when Snowball onsets and nadirs as it's too soon after the switch. You are also waiting for the depot to fill.

Any chance you can get a night time test before you go to bed? One option could be for you to go back to 0.75 units so you can always give the same dose and the depot can fill properly.

8. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Hi need help. Snowball BG is 89 now at AMPS but he was soo hungry as he hasn’t since night he jumped on Dr Elsey and is now eating I am thinking should i wait or give me 0.25 insulin

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't stay online too much longer so can't be on to watch out for you. Can you test in 20-30 minutes? It takes some time for the food to break down and get into the bloodstream.

10. Wendy&Neko

You could wait a couple hours to see if his numbers come up, but then your PMPS would be 12 hours after that. Since you are feeding dry food, that means following SLGS for dosing and you do not dose if below 90 at shot time. Plus he's earned a dose reduction down to 0.75 units.

A favour to ask, could you remove the "dosing: 4 units: from your subject line and change the Caninsulin to Levemir? We also aren't as interested in his date of birth but rather when he was diagnosed as diabetic.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  11. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Oh thanks for pointing that out i will update it now

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  12. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Thanks for the suggestion yes I checked after 20 mins the BG was 100 so for now i gave 0.5 and at PM i will give him a reduced dose of 0.75 then 1 unit

13. Wendy&Neko

No more 1 units, stick with 0.75, unless he goes under 90 again.

Sumaira Aslam likes this.
  14. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

thanks. Can you guide me if there is any syringe i can use currently i am using u100 but with the bubble issue and no marking for 0.75 i am not sure how to get the right insulin injected

15. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

16. Wendy&Neko

Great - two cycles in a row with the same dose. :) Next time you post, start a new thread. And let us know what type of syringes you are using - there may be some tips to help with the measurements. We all use half unit marked syringes, that's all there is.

17. Sumaira Aslam

Sumaira Aslam Member

Thank you so much for checking on him ❤️❤️❤️ Yes i will start a new thread soon as i would be needing help with syringe right now i am using u100 syringe which has 1 unit marking only would be more helpful if i can get a syringe which has lesser unit marking also