Snuggle’s recent diagnosis…continued

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sandysh66, Jan 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

How are things today?

3. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Things are going pretty good. I started the Lantus 1u this morning…no more Vetsulin. I will be updating Spreadsheet soon and I am going to tag you. @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Diane Tyler's Mom

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Ok! I updated the SS. Any thoughts on the numbers since today is the first dose of Lantus. Snuggles had .5oz c/d Hills HC and LC FF for breakfast. I gave her two snacks today of LC FF 2 tsp. At 11am and 2pm. She also had a few treats of Purebites today. @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Looking good. Keep going with the 1 unit unless the BG drops under 90 in which case you would reduce the dose to 0.75 U
    The effect of the 1 unit will build up over the next several days as the depot fills.
    keep posting :)

6. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

I'm no expert like Bron...just a guy who has been through the diabetes journey with his cat but....getting down into the yellows on the first 1u of Lantus seems pretty good to me!

Lantus did wonders for my boy Hendrick, also 10 years old. He is now in diabetic remission and is a diet-controlled diabetic feline thanks to the FDMB...good things will happen if you listen to the experts here and commit to the process. Good start!

7. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

This site has been great..everyone is so helpful. I don’t know where we would be if not for the great advice from people on this site. What does Hendrick’s diet consist of if you don’t mind sharing. Sounds like you’ve done a great job with your boy! BTW love the name and he’s a cutie! @Hendrick Cuddleclaw

8. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

so, prior to Hendrick's diagnosis we free fed all six cats on a variety of dry food and also fed canned food like maybe once a week.

But after he was diagnosed we transitioned the entire household away from kibble and onto a low-carb canned and raw diet. We now feed varieties of tiki cat, weruva, and occasionally a small amount of fancy feast pate. Also, even though many diabetic cats grow to dislike it, Hendrick still freaking LOVES Purina DM Savory Shreds. It is higher in carbs (10%) than anything else we feed so it is not an every day thing but he loves it as a treat a few times a week.

And then a major change in diet that we also introduced, to the entire household, is homemade raw using E-Z Complete. I make a batch for the evening feed 6-7 days a week. (I use a combination of pork loin, chicken thighs, turkey thighs, and chicken breast)

They LOVE the E-Z Complete meal, wow. Really enjoy it. I can't recommend it enough.

[edit] thanks for the kind words about my boy. He is indeed a cutie...there is a video in my signature from when he went into remission, also known as going 'off the juice' or OTJ

sandysh66 likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Good luck with the Lantus :cat:

sandysh66 likes this.
  10. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If possible it’s a good idea to give Snuggles the same snacks during all the cycles. Cats often drop lower at night so giving the snacks will help keep the BGs from dropping too low.
    If it’s going to be too late at night for you, you might like to think about getting an automatic timed feeder to use at night and when you are not there during the day.

Diane Tyler's Mom and sandysh66 like this.
  12. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Is there a time limit on the feeding..I may have read on this site don’t give food after 7 hours of administering shot..is that accurate? I know definitely not to give food 2 hours prior to giving shot and checking those BS. @Bron and Sheba (GA)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s better to feed the snacks in the first 6 or 7 hours after the dose of insulin when the insulin is strongest.

Diane Tyler's Mom and sandysh66 like this.
  14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A timed feeder may help so you don't end up having to get out of bed to feed your kitty.

15. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

It actually got delivered yesterday! It will work out great especially when I have to work the next day. What do you think about the numbers so far since Snuggles started Lantus yesterday? With the 219 I was worried about it dropping too low last night. Im worried about the complete transition to LC food and her BS dropping when I’m working. @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Diane Tyler's Mom

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It takes about 5 - 7 days to see how Lantus is working. It has to build up in your cat's system. You may want to take a look at the sticky notes that are at the top of the Lantus board for more reading on how Lantus works. If you make the transition to low carb food slowly and you're testing, you'll have control over the process and you can adjust the insulin dose. So far, all looks good!

You might want to consider posting on the Lantus board. There's a huge level of expertise there and it's a busy board -- members are there 24/7 much like on Health.

17. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Thank you @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

@sandysh66 now you can delete what you wrote here about the bowl movement . I see you posted it in today's post good !

sandysh66 likes this.
  19. sandysh66

sandysh66 Member

Found it…now if only I can figure out how to copy links! @Diane Tyler's Mom
    Do you have any experience with the less bowel movements? And BTW, Snuggles likes the ProPlan Urinary chicken and beef!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  20. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm heading over to your new post for today

sandysh66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.