? So annoyed with myself

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill & Mac (UK), Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

We were going to do a BG curve for Mac today as it has now passed 10 days on his new dose and Saturday is the best day for us.
    Will only be our second full BG curve the other 2 were done at the vets but were not really true picture as Mac won't eat there.
    Was thinking about it several times in the night. So what did I do this morning - rushed his shot - he moved like he always does and I got a fur shot.
    So no point doing the curve today as I don't know how much insulin he got if any.
    I know it won't hurt Mac to have potentially missed his dose this morning and I can always do the curve another day.
    But I am just so annoyed with myself, I know better than to rush giving his shot, that he moves several times and to wait until he gives me a good chance and having been doing it successfully for weeks now. So why today of all days for the first time in ages did I have to be an idiot and forget all that and be over eager. That is the first furshot in ages and i had to do it today.
    I know it is no big deal really but just feel like I am letting him down.by being useless.
    Despairing vent over now for my question..... am I right in assuming that because Mac is not on a deposit insulin (he's on prozinc) that missing the shot this am will not impact his BG readings tomorrow - as long as he (hopefully) gets tonight's and tomorrow's am shots - so I can do the curve tomorrow? Or do I need to wait an extra couple of fur shot free days ? Thanks
    Aaarghhhh
    :banghead::banghead::(

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's known in the trade as the Law of Sod.

Some you lose, Gill. You could always do the curve tonight! :p (I jest. ;) )

Hope you all have a grand day.

:bighug:

Mogs

3. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

:DThanks Mogs.
    You feeling better now ?

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey stuff happens . I dont know the answer to your questions but dont forget how far you have come. Look at your progress so far..not bad huh?
    KEEP IP THE GOOD FIGHT!
    j

Gill & Mac (UK) likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

I've not used Prozinc so this answer is very much based on general principles plus a smidgen of Prozinc-specific knowledge, and is therefore very much open to stewards' enquiries.

In general, with in-out insulins, the effect of the dose peters out before the next dose is due so running a curve on the next cycle following a fur shot should not, in principle, skew the results.

As in-out insulins go, I believe that Prozinc is longer acting, and sometimes has a dose duration greater than 12 hours. Therefore, while there is no depot, it is possible for one dose of Prozinc to impact BGs in the following cycle. If, say, a cat were to typically get some overlap from a Prozinc dose then that would serve to bring preshot BGs down a bit and also there might be less of a food rise at the beginning of the next cycle where the tail end of the old dose is still active and the new dose is starting to kick in. All that said, a cat's body is a dynamic system and some doses just give more bang for the buck with no discernible pattern. This is the reason why curves only give a snapshot of insulin response on a particular day and why daily PS and mid-cycle BG checks provide so many puzzle pieces to make the overall jigsaw picture much clearer.

Note: WRT Prozinc duration greater than 12 hours, I'm not sure how much variation in dose duration there may be from cycle to cycle, or whether some cats tend to get longer dose duration overall on this particular insulin. You'd need a Prozinc maven to tell you that. :)

Mogs

6. Critter Mom

Tummy's better than it was the other day but the cold and fatigue persist (with a bit less sneezing!). Thank you for asking, Gill. :)

How are you keeping yourself?

Mogs

7. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

I'm keeping well thanks Mogs

8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Look at the world around you and think again about how bad you should feel over one missed shot. I'm sure Mac doesn't bear any ill will towards you, go ask him right now.

9. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Put a pound in the jar. Over time, it will add up. And by then, maybe you can take yourself out for a nice meal or even a decent pint.

10. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Lol - good idea but here's hoping the jar stays nice & empty!

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

12. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

My daughter and I were about to do our 2nd Curve on Oliver but couldn't because he wiggled out from under the shot. We were both very disappointed but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Later we were able to show that the Royal Canin Glycobalance that the vet sold us raised his BG dramatically, so we quickly dropped that food and put him on Fancy Feast which lowered his BG dramatically.

Had we run the curve when we planned, it would have been a waste of $5 (AlphaTrak), or as my daughter says, "The cost of a box of McDonald's chicken nuggets."

13. Douglas_my ginger cat

Douglas_my ginger cat Member

Hi Gill!

We've all been there, gave a fur shot for the first time in ages the other day. The annoying thing is that Douglas holds still so I can't even blame him moving, it was just me, being complacent or not payimg attention. I definitely get it, kicked myself that I will be going 10 steps back after half steps moving forward.

Love the idea of the money jar by @Red & Rover (GA), although probably the one time you want this to be empty :cool:

You are doing great!

14. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thanks @Douglas_my ginger cat - you too ! Keeps us on our toes anyway.
    Can always double up as a swear jar when my work laptop crashes mid-massive spreadsheet !
    :)

15. Critter Mom

CTRL-S is your friend! :D

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.