So lost here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SarahS, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarahS

SarahS New Member

Not sure if anyone can help here but I’m running out of options. Nala’s levels have been quirky for weeks now, some of that my fault I know for overreacting to her first hypo and then serious bouncing. But now I’ve been holding doses and she still keeps having some random crashes. I did find a few fleas on her and one other cat in the house a couple days ago and everyone was treated with Vectra. Now I’ve discovered that she has orange urine. Also she’s barely eating, when she’s always been a great eater. She doesn’t even want the bad treats that I’m not supposed to give her. She’s moody, and lethargic, and not grooming. Also seems to have lost some weight. I feel like I just keep failing her, and that she’s suffering. I don’t have the money for bloodwork right now to find out if something else is going on. Some signs point to liver or bile duct issues. I’ve reached out to Amy at DCIN but I know that they are busy and low on funds. I hate to end up putting her down without knowing if it was absolutely necessary. But I can’t watch her decline like this for much longer either.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oYExVO6BfJ86Hb0Dfm1LKD0wdayFyc-_99OZd_5AUZ0

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Sarah, I cannot help you medically but if you can make it through the weekend with Nala I'll do my best to see that other members see this and hopefully give you some advice. I don't see much in your profile on Nala, it would be a big help if we knew her medical history, age, type of insulin etc. It's a long weekend for DCIN and most of the members here so help may be a bit slow in coming and I can feel your frustration. We've all been in situations similar to this and sometimes it's not as bad as it seems.
    Try and stay positive and help will come.

4. SarahS

SarahS New Member

It’s a busy weekend for me as well as I work in retail and have to go to work a 10 hour shift today like I did yesterday. Unfortunately I don’t have much time to give more detail and this is my first time ever posting here. I usually use the fb page. I need to stress that I’m not so much worried about dosing and such right now. My main concern is that there is something else going on. There’s not much notes on her cuz she’s been a pretty smooth sailing diabetic. I made a vet appointment for Monday, late afternoon but if I don’t have DCIN to help me with cost I probably be switching it to a euthanasia at my local humane society. This is not an insulin problem. Something is medically wrong with her and I don’t want her suffering or to come home to her deceased. Like I said in my original post it seems some of her symptoms are consistent with liver or bile duct problems. That’s nothing I can treat at home. It’s not anything that’s going to get better on it’s own.

5. Noah & me (GA)

No one here wants to see a cat suffer and no one here will judge you.
    I hope you get better news on Monday and hear from DCIN.
    I do know this feeling Sarah, a year ago we lost our last diabetic cat. He just got old and there was nothing anyone could do. :bighug:

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@SarahS ...I sent you a PM on Facebook

7. Chris & China (GA)

Just FYI....DCIN has authorized a vet check with cbc/chem/electrolytes, urinalysis, and then depending on what they find: fluids, antibiotics, pain meds, appetite stim

She has an appointment on Monday afternoon for Nala

8. Noah & me (GA)

Thanks Chris.
    Sarah, sorry for not being much help and for the depressing post. Four years ago in November we were told our dog would not make it to Christmas. Two vets and two oncologists were wrong, it was something much less dire and she lived for years after that. Sometimes when the world seems to fall apart the kindness of others puts it back together. Best wishes to both of you.

9. Noah & me (GA)

How did it go today Sarah?

10. SarahS

SarahS New Member

Just to update everyone this is where we stand...

Attached Files:

11. Noah & me (GA)

Have you syringe fed before Sarah?

12. Noah & me (GA)

It's late here Sarah, I'm off to bed in a bit. If you have never syringe fed before it can either go smoothly or your cat will fight back. Don't rush it, it requires a lot of patience and trust from your cat, it's an unnatural way to eat especially if the cat does not want to eat. I've done it before, three times. It wasn't always pleasant but in the end all my boys came back to me without any further hospitalization. Good luck my friend.

13. SarahS

SarahS New Member

I started to the other night and into yesterday. I have to swaddle her and she does start to fight within a couple minutes. Then she stopped keeping it down late last night and this morning. Thank you

14. Noah & me (GA)

Keep the faith Sarah, I've been there. Medically I don't know what to tell you, I assume Chris does so I'll tag him here and he'll see this the next time he logs on.
    @Chris & China (GA) Don't give up Sarah :bighug:

15. SarahS

SarahS New Member

We’ve been in touch on Facebook today, thank you. I know my girl is a fighter. I’m going to do everything I can to help her turn around to the cat I know and love.

16. Chris & China (GA)

"her"....LOL Chris stands for both Christopher and Christine

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Wishing Nala all the best for a speedy recovery Sarah. Hang in there. It is hard when they are not well.
    I’m so glad you have @Chris & China (GA) in your corner. She’s the best.

18. Noah & me (GA)

Did I really do that? :banghead: People mangle my last name every day. If my middle name was made public that would be it, account closed.
    When I had long hair and worked to 3AM desperate slobs in pickup trucks would hit on me at red lights on the way home. :eek:
    Let us never speak of this again...ever! Good morning Sarah and Nala.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  19. SarahS

SarahS New Member

Just to let you all know I made the excruciating decision yesterday morning to put Nala to sleep. After watching her decline even more over 2 days on meds I decided that was better than possibly watching her get worse and go slowly and in pain. I wish I could’ve done more for her. My mother passed away this year on Mother’s Day and I know she is taking excellent care of Nala now. Together they are pain and suffering free and happy. I thank you all for your advice and prayers.

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@SarahS I am so sorry to hear about Nala, I'm sure you did everything you could for her, I wouldn't want to have seen her suffer either. She is no longer suffering. Gentle hugs

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  21. Noah & me (GA)

Sorry Sarah. You knew Nala best, what you did was an act of compassion and love. Be kind to yourself in the coming weeks, no guilt. :bighug:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  22. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Sarah:rb_icon:

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.