So what happens next?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anyname, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyname

Anyname Member

I can't get the spread sheet to work at all now. I tried to fix it so the Americans could read it and have totally lost the use of the new one and old one. Wont' let me write in it - I'm over it and am not open to giving it any more effort. I can find out quite a lot by reading other people's posts.

These are my thoughts on my kitty.

He's pee'ing too much, even at times of lower numbers. He never used to pee so much. I'm suspicious of renal disease from being unregulated for so long. I don't really know what goes wrong with their water works coz of high numbers - or whether it can be treated? We have food allergies galore and unregulated FD and possible IBD to some degree. Personally I don't rate the IBD as too significant but the VEt thinks it's the foundation of his other issues. The Royal Canin GI has been terrible for him IMHO. Just made him worse with his FD - vet said his FD was of low priority - just give him more juice until he's regulated. But it's taking so long that I fear renal problems are setting in while we continue increasing till we get him regulated. I've been at this fight since 6/6/2010. I have a sense of numbers, juice and diet - I think I'm following the rules more or less. I love the little critter and he's spoilt rotten!

However I'm disheartened and trying to psych myself up about putting him to sleep. It makes me feel ill, distressed, emotional and down and out. I think there must be a different mind set that I can adopt so that I can put him out of his and our misery. I don't think his life is all that good with all the itching and eating and peeing etc.

We want to have a life of our own. We want to go away traveling and see our DD on the other side of the world again soon. Seh's having first baby early next yr. It's so hard to leave a sick cat. He's gone down hill since he was left between August and Sept this yr. Should we let our pets control our life so much? We need to be able to go away for weekends and enjoy our retirement before we get too old - but it feels like our life is on hold because of our kitty who is lurching along because of the intense care he receives from us. I'm just not sure what the point of it all is. It's like having OCD - just doing it because we can't seem to stop doing it. I can't even remember what it's like to have a healthy cat. It's like *who in their right mind would put themselves thru all this*????

The alternative is to keep trying to juggle the health issues. It's like watching him die slowly. :oops: :sad:

marilyn

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, Marilyn. This is so hard. I remember when you first came on and your wonderful stories of your boy's escapades in the yard. It is all about quality of life, for you and for him. All I can say is that you have obviously loved him and cared for him and given him a wonderful life. And whatever decision you make will the right one, because it will be made out of love.

Across the continents hugs for you and your boy.

3. Anyname

Anyname Member

thanks Sue.... <sigh>.... I'm going to put an order in for more rabbit and only give him that again. DH says we don't need to make any decisions till after xmas. I'm really not the sort of person who should have a pet I get way too attached to them - i can't face the goodbyes! It was really nice to see your comment though.

4. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I know we have a few FDMB members in Australia. Maybe someone could adopt him ?

Just an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.