Some Phosphorus values very wrong on Binky's List (EVO)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia & Bandit (GA), Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

A recent question about EVO prompted me to call and get the as-fed values to make sure they were up to date. They have changed significantly in some areas from Janet & Binky's List. The current values match the values on this more recent list: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8...MzhkYTkxOGM4NThk&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

The fat/carb/protein values and calories have not changed significantly, but the Phosphorus content sure has! Binky's chart lists the Venison flavors as being in an low range (146mg/100kcal), so I had been recommending them to people with senior cats or kidney problems. As it turns out, the current values show the venison as having very high phosphorus content(417mg/100kcal), making it not a food you would want to feed to these types of cats! The phosphorus content has changed significantly for the Cat & Kitten formula (which is much lower), 95% Chicken & Turkey (now a bit lower), and the 95% Beef (now a bit higher).

I want to urge people posting Binky's food list for newbies to also include the newer list with the updated values as well. Feeding the EVO 95% Venison could be dangerous for a CRF kitty, and no so good for any senior kitty. The Nature's Variety Instinct phosphorus content has also changed significantly from the old food list, with the same problem--the Venison especially has changed in phosphorus content from a CRF acceptable 199mg/100kcal, to 696mg/100kcal!

If there is any way to add the new list to the Diets for Diabetic Cats page, and a note that some of the values are out of date on the other charts?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Did you forward the info on to the owner of the page?

3. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I sent an email to Rebecca.

4. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this, Julia! We're feeding raw now and we've been relying on the newer list, but phosphorous has been something we've been paying very close attention to for Willie. That 696 is insane!!

5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

My eyeballs just about popped out of my head when I saw that. I was feeding that food to my 16 year old CRI kitty for a brief period in time because I thought the phosphorus levels were ok. Fortunately she preferred the Dick van Patten Venison and Green Pea, so she only ate the Instinct Venison for a very short time. She was eating a lot of the Instinct Rabbit though, which I thought was 200mg/100kcal but it's really 300mg/100kcal. It didn't make any difference in the end because she passed from an illness unrelated to her kidney insufficiency, but if she hadn't it could have been a problem.

6. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Tanya's CRF site keeps a list of phosphorus values in food along with the date the data was obtained. Pet food manufacturers change formulas fairly frequently, so lists can become outdated very quickly. Here is the link to Tanya's canned food list:

http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#crf_canned_usa

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Rebecca doesn't own or maintain the Binky's food charts. That would be Janet. Here's her profile page and from there you can send her a PM, http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=291 I think Janet has just been too busy to update her food charts.

8. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Yup, I had the link to Tanya's list, and those are completely up to date, but it doesn't have carb information so I'm just concerned that people here that are dealing with both diabetes and kidney disease might pick foods based off the Binky charts like I did, because it's easier to see the information in one place. I was cross referencing the two in the beginning, but I guess I didn't realize that formulas could change that dramatically in just a few years, and all the ones I was keeping track of at the time stayed the same, so I let my guard down. It's a bit hard to compare the values because the phosphorus values in Tanya's list are measured a bit differently. I'm just thinking about how this information could be more accessible and user friendly--that's probably the librarian in me.

I do understand Janet is probably really busy and doesn't have time to update them (I realize it must take so much work to compile that much information!), but a note on the Feline Diabetes Diet page might be useful. Or in the CRF links. Or even just letting people here know to give both lists to newbies showing up with senior or CRF kitties is important, I think. I've been here for about 2 years now, and I really do my research and try to keep up to date, but somehow I missed this.

9. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

That is good to know. I also want to mention that what is on Janet and Binkys charts is based on whatever information the food company in question provided to the questioner. Since, as we know, they like to change the formulas on a whim, its very hard to keep them up to date. The number of companies willing to give info at all is very small.

One company gave me As Fed values that were clearly NOT what I had asked for, and sometimes I find there is a miscommunication of terminology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.