Spaying and diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by D Lisak, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D Lisak

D Lisak New Member

I was just curious about if these 2 things could be related.
    My cat, who is 7 yrs old and weighs 11 pounds, was spayed in early June. Her bloodwork was done at that time and everything was normal. Never had any health issues.

Fast forward a month and a half later, she is eating and drinking a lot, peeing a lot. I take her in and they said she has diabetes. Her glucose was 506.

Could a cat get diabetes from a spay surgery by any chance or is it merely coincidence?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Most likely it is a coincidence. However, if she developed an infection from the surgery that could cause high glucose levels. Also if she needs a dental, that could be another cause.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Was there any reason your cat might have been prescribed a medication that contain steroids? Steroids can cause some cats to develop diabetes, as well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Yep Troubles was steroid induced. He was already pre-diabetic. Steroids put him over the edge.

5. D Lisak

D Lisak New Member

No my cat wasn’t given steroids. She’s on week 3 of insulin but no reduction in glucose.
    Still pees, drinks and eats a lot. I haven’t noticed any improvement with fancy feast pate either.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you home testing your cats blood glucose ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.