Spike 7/11, AMPS 233, .50u Given. PMPS 262, .75u Given. +6@331/351

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lee Renfro, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/spike-6-20-amps-184-10-302-pmps-315-75u-given.263840/

@FrostD just starting a new thread. Like I said earlier, the new custom schedule checks all the boxes I think. I've saved it as my phones Screensaver and will follow it. When he is over 300, I'll probably be trying to shoot a SKINNY 1.0u because you know how he can race down to the low blues from the 350's. And I hopefully will NEVER shoot a 1.0u FAT ecause it's too close to the dreaded 1.25u that has scared me with him diving from it

You are the greatest Melissa.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new dosing schedule, Lee.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  3. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

@FrostD are you seeing anything with the new dosing guide? He didn't do anything remarkable last night that I could tell, but you can see between the lines. I'm clueless. It doesn't look like he even went into the blue last nite. Tonite he got a perfect 1.0u dose and I'll get one test at least b4 I crash.

The heat has been killer here and just saps the life out of all living things. Zpike hates being kept indoors during the day while I'm gone, but it's just too oppressive and the food is inside too. @Suzanne & Darcy , My long haired Sophie lays right under the ac vent which blows on the corner of my bed though. She is pretty smart.

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No, not seeing anything yet.

We have another heat wave here too (94)...I would not survive in Texas that's for sure.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

We hit 100 here today :( Spike is all pink today! We will have to wait for him to make his move.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

I was just looking to see if Spike was still pink this morning. Were you like :nailbiting: yesterday when you shot 1 unit? But then he just stayed pink. :confused:

7. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

He's driving in me crazy! Lol. As u can see by his numbers past 24 hrs.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Suzanne & Darcy

Spike requires a LOT of patience! :blackeye:

Lee Renfro likes this.
  9. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I just don't know what to do about getting him to level out and fly in the mid blues. I like Melissa's new dosing. It seem s that 1.0u over 300bg mite be too much and driving him too low at nite and causing more bounce...but idk, Melissa is real smart on that tho.

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

SPIKE!

I really think that was a bounce break and late nadir, given that he was flat pink yesterday and a slow rise to AMPS. That said, if it wasn't, the 1U is potentially unsafe (if nadir had been +6 to +8, he was definitely below 90). If it were me I would hold that 1U, but you have to do what feels right/comfortable for you.

On the flipside, reducing to 0.75U if over 250 may help prevent skips. But I fear that would let him run too high overall, as he does all right with the skips

11. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I believe he was definitely WELL BELOW 90bg at some point last nite while I slept and had a late nadir also. At +22 hrs, he is just now at 194bg. I don't feel safe giving him 1.0u and feel he earned .25u reduction. I mean, he went from 319 at PMPS to 103@+11 and 118@+12.

I put his new dosing schedule on a tab of the SS in case you didn't save it. Can I get you to re-work the dosing for me, and I'll save it to the tab...or is it just the 1.0u down to .75u that I need to change???

As for tonite, I'll see where he is at by 7pm cst PMPS time. But I won't be giving him 1.0u again until I hear from you to do so. Hopefully, he'll be in the .5u or .75u range anyway.

This boy is gonna worry me to death...lol. He does this weekly, but usually on a weekend...go figure. You've tried to explain it to me, but the more I learn it seems the less I know sometimes. A MILLION TIMES THANK YOU...and Spike thanks you too...lol

@FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy

FrostD likes this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

I wish he had a Libre sensor on him so we could see what happened last night - or any day/night for that matter. He may have dropped low. But would he not have bounced? I don’t get his blue AMPS followed by still be blue now (a high blue yes but still a blue) after a skipped shot. If I were you, I would decide on the evening dose based on his PMPS.

13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Exactly why Im now pretty convinced it was a bounce breaking cycle with a late nadir. He's a bouncy kitty, had he gone lower I'm sure he would have bounced today, especially without AM insulin.

Lee it is totally up to you of course, but I would stick to schedule as it is. If.you want to reduce, reduce all of them by 0.25U, and make the 150-199 range something like 0.1U, so barely any insulin.

Lee Renfro and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  14. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Yes ma'am, I'll stay the course. Thanks for the clarification. His +2 is 269 after getting. 50u dose tonite. He has had a 1 tblsp snack of wet 3carb a few minutes b4, so there is that. I checked him because he is acting out of character by seeming tired, laying on my bed acting sweet and NOT begging for a treat, when any other time he'd be begging to sit on the porch in the heat...lol maybe the Benazapril is hitting him strong tonite or something.

Maybe his bounce is coming right now and he's gonna climb even with that .5u in him. Hopefully, it'll hold him in the yellow tonite. I can never guess this boy.

15. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

@FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy I'm not liking the direction Spike has been trending since that low number and skipped dose. Is this the bounce from the lime green over 36 hours ago.???

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Lee. Spike sure is high this morning, but you shot one unit so I hope things will get better. I am sorry (and I know I'm sick right now - just woke up) but I don't see a lime green on your spreadsheet (any number below 50). You shot one unit last night, but with no more tests after that we don't know if maybe he dropped low last night and is bouncing high from it this morning. Maybe? Maybe not? Maybe the skips are catching up with him (although he seemed to do just fine both times there was a skip recently.) Maybe Melissa has some ideas....

17. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Spreadsheet isn't updating for me...if it's updated I'll have to go and clear caches but want to make sure it's up to date before I go through all that lol

18. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I get the feeling he may break this bounce overnight...

19. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

As take a dive or ??? Pls define "break a bounce"....or in terms of what he's been up to these past 48 hrs.

20. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Well now you jinxed it!

I am hoping for a slow slide down to blue by +10/AMPS. Since he was flat coming into PMPS I think it's a possibility, but it may take another cycle.

Suzanne & Darcy and Lee Renfro like this.
  21. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Well, it's Saturday & shopping day. Whatcha think he's gonna pull on us today? He was holding at 208 this am at +10 & PS time, so I went with .50u and my uneducated hope is that will hold him down but not make him dive during the day/nadir.

22. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah I was so close! Haha yes I think good idea

23. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Just got home at AMPS+5 from working. Let him outside and turned my back for a minute. Saw him laying in grass looking passed out but he wasn't. He didn't argue or even make a sound when I picked him up and took him to my bedroom and immediately poked him...His +5 is 125. I gave him a few temptations catnip fever bits and 2 tbsp wet 3carb. He seems ok but it's 99° in the shade rite now. He's about to become an indoor kitty full-time and not just while I'm asleep or away.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  24. Suzanne & Darcy

I just checked his spreadsheet and saw that 125. It was really good to see that... and the other test too (even though it went back to yellow). Spike's a sweet boy (no complaining.)

Lee Renfro likes this.
  25. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

That was pretty much a perfect cycle/nadir (even if the 125 wasn't quite nadir). Not much more you can do!

26. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I liked that 125 also, but he can go pretty low from a low 200 at PS time. I also figure there will be a bounce way up if he got much below the 125. I did try to catch him at that 219 this AM and I shot him a kinda fat .5u. Trying that get him low a d keep him low thing, but he rarely cooperates for more than a day...lol

Hope you've been doing great this weekend....it's 102° here right now and I'm keeping Spike and myself inside until dark. It's literally deadly out there right now.

27. Suzanne & Darcy

Spike is definitely a tricky guy. We’ve actually been pretty lucky the last few days with temperatures “only” in the 90s here in Georgia. Today a high of only 92, which isn’t bad at all because the morning ms are still pretty cool and nice and I just stay inside in the afternoon until evening. We did have several days over 100 - one was 105 - deadly is correct! Take care, Lee.

FrostD and Lee Renfro like this.
  28. Suzanne & Darcy

P.S. Spike is looking pretty good today! Another blue and no bounce from the previous day’s lows. So awesome to see this! Who knows how long it can last, but it’s so good to see that this is possible for Spike.

FrostD and Lee Renfro like this.
  29. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok spike this is looking better!

30. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Saw this today and thought of you
    upload_2022-6-27_20-43-44.png

31. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Well he had a nice run :rolleyes:

Lee Renfro likes this.
  32. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I've been peeking at thread title each day, glad to see it's working out a little better....though if I scroll back perhaps it's more a minor improvement lol Just happy to see more blues and yellows

33. Suzanne & Darcy

Hey Lee! How’s it going? I was shopping in the grocery store on Friday and thought of you… here’s why… I was looking of salsa for our taco night and I saw this Mrs. Renfro’s salsa. Apparently Renfro foods was started in Fort Worth Texas in 1940. Relatives of yours?

Lee Renfro likes this.
  34. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Not any direct relatives of my Dads side, but we are all sure some kind of kinfolk of his distantly. There is a Renfro Valley, Kentucky that both they and my Dad are from, so yes, somewhere down the line I'm sure...lol The Renfro Valley is home to The Renfro Valley Music Playhouse (bluegrass version of The Grand Ole Opry) and The Renfro Valley Boys bluegrass Gospel Band, which is the longest CONTINUOUS radio show in America, I believe. They've never missed a broadcast even during WW1 & WW2.

I've seen the Mrs. Renfro brand salsa all of my life, and I've gotta admit that most of it is really good stuff...lol

35. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Spike is up to his weekend antics of going low during the nite. No telling how low he went because I fell asleep last nite leaving him out on the patio with no food. He was 125 at 7am but he got into sum dry treats I left out for the inside kitties. I stalled until 8am and he was 185 which I'm sure is a food bump. Knowing how he acts, I went ahead and fed and then shot a .5u skinny dose. Hoping that'll hold him down until tonite without driving him too low.

Just touching base with you @FrostD , @Suzanne & Darcy @Julie Sue & Oscar too. Yall can see that the struggle is real...hahaha. I hope everyone's 4th is awesum today.

36. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

He's had a really nice stretch the last few days though! Normally I would say consider reduction but I want to see what he does today. Perhaps the fat was a little too much.

37. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Maybe so. And maybe he actually does good a lot into the blues, but are masked by food bumps at test time as I swear he can routinely catch me slipping up and leaving either the dry kibble (brought in at nite after feeding the barn kitties) within his grasp or the temptations treats that the other kitties are allowed to have. He gets like 2 pieces at earpoke time, and he remembers the good old days of getting handfuls of it.

His past weeks stretch hasn't looked very good to me. So many reds and purples consistently until yesterday he ran in the low and mid yellows somewhat. I guess I expect him to run 200ish at PS and 130ish in midcycle....I'll keep dreaming and praying. Yes, the .75 FAT maybe should have been on the line or skinny by a hair last night. I hope all this variation doesn't make him feel bad. He always seems so chill and happy to be wherever he's at. I did force him in just now, much to his disdain, as it hit 100° on the covered deck just now as he was looking haggard.

38. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I guess Spike could only stand being in the yellows for so long until he went up to the purples last night. His AMPS was 324/330 so I shot a drop under 1.0u today. He was already at 306 at PMPS+7 last night, so I knew he would be purple by daybreak. I maybe should have shot a 1.0 fat dose but something was telling me that I should be conservative today. I should be back home around 5pm to check him. I just had a gut feeling that he would do something dramatic if I shot the whole 1.0u.

I hope that it will bring him down and that i did the right thing.

39. Suzanne & Darcy

I hope so too! Have a good day, Lee. Spike, please be good!

Lee Renfro likes this.
  40. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

@FrostD , I don't know where he's going, but he's trying to stay in the yellows now. He's always a perfect little gentleman, but two days in a row, he's woken me up adamantly demanding to be fed NNOOOWWW, and is never full. I feed multiple small portions while I'm home and awake to prevent "scarf & barf" and leave double portions out at bedtime and b4 I head out for the day. He still drinks slightly more than the rest, but with the weather, I can relate to more fluids.

FrostD likes this.
  41. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, it's Spike we are talking about here so he will probably surprise you with a blue today or something. I hope he's feeling all right.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  42. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

That 324 is yellow if you squint really hard :joyful:

I am loving this recent trend. My guess is some of the energy/appetite is him feeling a little better.

43. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Yep, tonight he is 173 at PMPS time, so he got the recommended .25u just now. That sure isn't very much when you look at it in the syringe. I pushed it into him and said a short prayer that it would be just the right amount.

I'm glad to hear you saying that you're liking his trend. I hope it means that he's on the path to regulation.

44. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I am not jinxing anything :stop:

45. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

A midcycle test would be awesome tonight if you can manage but no big deal if you cant

46. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I can getba +4 or+5. A +6 will b midnight and I can't promise that one. Not to jinx anything, so hypothetically, what could you be thinking?.

47. Suzanne & Darcy

I told you so!

Lee Renfro likes this.
  48. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I got a +7.50 @179, and his AMPS was 249 & 264 from the same drop of blood. I went with the 264 and gave the .75u but honestly it was maybe more of a .65u.....me splitting the difference due to variance..

I'm happy that we haven't seen a purple in a couple of days and the yellows are mostly mid-range, where I feel confident shooting a good dose. His blues aren't that low, but I'd love to hear your analysis of what you think he is up to.

Hope everyone has a great day. Spike is mad right now because he has to stay in the ac near the food and water. He moans unless the can sit on one of the decks where it's 104° in the shade. I'm scared the benazapril and insulin will affect him and he's not a spring chicken anymore. He thinks he's still a tuff man.

FrostD likes this.
  49. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

My hope is that these doses finally have him settling down a little bit (it's part hitting the right dose, part his body cooperating). That 179@7.5 tells me that dose is probably pretty good, just wanted.to make sure it wasn't bringing him lower than we want.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  50. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

*chef's kiss*

Lee Renfro likes this.
  51. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Idk exactly what that means...lol
    I hated seeing the 303 tonite. I get sorta O.C.D. about meter variance, so a 2nd test on same droplet yielded 349. Well anyways, he got 1.0u tonite and finally allowed o to the back deck now that it's JUST 93° on it now.

My cell (my only internet) tower was down all nite and today, and just now back running. I felt so bad about not being able to post this am.

Tonites purple is hopefully coming back down into mid-blues tonite by +6. I'll try to get a test in tonite. But Melissa, ur the expert with the crystal ball...lol

52. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

upload_2022-7-8_22-16-5.png

Meaning beautiful! I am happy to see him flatter and no bouncing.

I sure hope a mid blue is in order.

Attached Files:

Lee Renfro likes this.
  53. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

He seems awful high at +7 last nite at 305 and just down to 244 at AMPS after getting a full 1.0u dose last nite. But hey, you know how he likes to perform party tricks on the weekend. Idk if he's pumping out glycogen in a panick or what but he usually goes too low to shoot on Saturday nite....Spike!!!!

He moaned all evening and this morning DEMANDING carbs or temptations catnip treats. I'd put more LC wet in his bowl and he'd devour it then go right back to hunting for carbs. Let him out this am at daybreak and he headed straight to where I feed the barn kitties in hopes they didn't finish all their dry kibble .. he cussed me out all the way back to the porch when he couldn't find a single piece.

54. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I had been wondering if the pinks were perhaps very small bounces, and it's looking like it. Good news is he's clearing them quickly and not going as high, definitely progress.

Lee Renfro likes this.