Spike and I thank you all for all of the help.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lee Renfro, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/spike-wont-eat-today-please-help.273595/#post-3041149

@FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy @Diane Tyler's Mom
    He is still trying but he barely eats. I gave him 0.40u tonite as he went to 515 tonite. We are just cuddling and talking and the other kitties are coming over to him to cuddle. I've taken tomorrow off from work as I know the hours are getting small.

Thank you all from the bottom of Spike and my hearts. I love y'all and so does Spike.

@Suzanne & Darcy I wish there was a way on here that I could post pics of my sweet lil buddy tonight.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh this makes me so sad, Lee! We love you and Spike too. You’re a part of our family here.

I will be praying for you and Spike.

If at any point you want to post photos, you can drag and drop them from a computer desktop, or I have been able to copy and paste them from my phone. Spike is so beautiful.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  3. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I only have my galaxy note 10 plus phone. ANY ideas?

Spike is still hanging in there this am. I'm going to the vets to get another bag of IV Fluids. What should she give me....lactate ringers or 0.9% saline?

4. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

While not of council Lee, you know that I consider you and Spike my FDMB friends. My heart is heavy as I read this. I truly respect and admire your devotion to Spike and the other kitties.

Suzanne & Darcy and Lee Renfro like this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Lactated Ringers solution is what I always use.

Paula and Sammy(GA) likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

When I want to post photos from my phone, I go to my photos and touch the photo, I then touch "copy" and then I can go to my post and "paste" the photo in the post. Of course, that's on an iphone so I have no idea how a person copies and pastes photos on a samsung. Sorry. I can also sent the photo to myself in a text message, an email, etc., from the same screen in my photos.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

About the fluids... sometimes there is a reason to use a different kind than lactated ringers solution, but most times it's best for CKD cats.

FYI, here's what the felinecrf site says about it:

Saline Solution (Sodium Chloride or NaCl) 0.9%

Saline solution (sometimes referred to in human medicine as "normal saline") may be suggested by some vets, but it tends not to be the best choice for a CKD cat because:
    • it is usually too acidic
    • it lacks the buffer contained in lactated ringers
    • it does not have added potassium, which many CKD cats need.
    • the higher sodium load is additional work for already damaged kidneys to process
    • it is not usually suitable for cats with hypertension or liver problems.
    • it can sting when injected subcutaneously which may make the cat resist sub-Qs
    However, it is sometimes appropriate for:
    • cats with high calcium levels (though Normosol-R may be a better choice); or
    • cats with hyperkalaemia (high levels of potassium), who may initially be placed on intravenous sodium chloride in hospital

Lee Renfro likes this.
  8. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Thank you for the info. I got lactate ringers this morning.
    As for Spike, he ate about a teaspoon of stew this am and his bg was about 320. I gave 0.30u and he ate a Lil more gravy and drank some water. I bundled him up in my arms and we went for a walk out in the yard but w e both agreed that it was cold so we went back to the couch after a Lil stop by the litterbox. He is still trying and hasn't given up yet. He knows that he is loved and that's the most important thing for us both today.

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

That's good. I definitely would give the fluids today -- and let him eat anything he wants to eat. Yep, he knows he's loved, that's for sure! Give him some love and cuddles from me (and all of us here.)

Lee Renfro and FrostD like this.
  10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

<3 all our love to Spike. I'm glad he's hanging in there and you're both getting some quality time.

Lee Renfro and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  11. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Alicia2022 and Shelley & Jess like this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

Spike is a handsome boy. How is he doing today? Any eating? Did you give fluids today?

Lee Renfro likes this.
  13. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

He has refused all food even gravy since yesterday evening. He will take about 3 laps of water. I'm waiting on his every need. I haven't given any of the sub-q fluids yet. Honestly, I need to ask if I even should do so. I haven't given him any meds today other that his insulin....his bg was 460 earlier on a empty stomach....I gave 0.30u. I kinda am just crying out "what should I give him".....I didn't try to pill him or mix his pills into gravy as he was adamant about not wanting ANYTHING.

He has not acted as if he was in any pain whatsoever.....not hunching over, ears pointed awkward or any signs that a cat is in pain. I left this am for 3 hrs for work but have had him in a cat bed out in the front yard in a sunny spot he loves to lay in. We r spending quality time together out in the yard. Its 56° right now but he wants sunshine, so sunshine we shall have. I've been running the central heat at 70° and using a ceramic heater in case he wants a extra warm spot in my room.....it's ALL ABOUT SPIKE RENFRO...and he is a perfect little gentleman as always....well, except if I'm trying to pill him.....and even then, he just puts his paw up and gives me those sweet eyes....

I'm about to re read "the final hours"....but mainly, I'm calling out to The Father to protect my tender heart today.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

The only reason I would give fluids is because it will (in my opinion) make him feel more comfortable. Same goes with any other meds or treatments that may make him more comfortable. I'm so sad, but you are just the best, Lee!

Just don't wait too long if you think it really is "time." Personally, I have held on too long in certain circumstances. They tend not to pass on their own, without help, no matter how much I hope and pray that they will pass peacefully in their sleep.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  15. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Well, I know he must feel dehydrated but I don't want to tax his heart or lungs with the fluids. Please tag some other members if u wish to as I am inclined to give him 100ml of the lactated ringers.....I just don't wanna make anything worse. He's resting peacefully out here as I stand near him. But it's getting late and chilly, so we r going inside to my room.

Unless I shouldn't then I think I should give the fluids or some of the fluids. Without drinking much, he hasn't urinated much today this afternoon. I put him in his clean low litterbix and he hopes straight out and heads to stare at the waterfowl that I let him watch me fill with fresh running water from the brita pitcher.

@FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy @Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm tagging yall as to the question above about giving lactated ringers sub-q at this point. My desire is to make him more comfortable but not to put pressure on his heart and lungs IF that is even a concern. I'd hate to give fluids and then see him in distress, but I'm sure he's feeling dehydrated by now.

Update: 10 minutes ago, he did eat sum gravy from a can of friskies that I was feeding the barn kitties.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I don't really know much about fluids, but if he hasn't had heart issues so far and has been breathing ok with fluids you're giving, I'd give them to him to help keep him comfortable. Glad he's getting all the love and attention :bighug:

Lee Renfro likes this.
  17. Suzanne & Darcy

I would give the fluids. 100 mL

Lee Renfro likes this.
  18. Suzanne & Darcy

How is Spike?

Lee Renfro likes this.
  19. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Hanging in there still.. I gave him 100ml fluids today and he drank from waterfowl twice today. Doesn't complain about anything.....just spending time together...we both know it.

Thank you so much for asking about us. He's such a good lil gentleman.

20. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

We are still here. He got .25u tonite as his bg was 469. He drank a little water also. He is resting peacefully and getting lots of loving cuddles. I don't know if any more sub-q fluids would make him feel better or what. His bed is over by Minnie's on the floor with the waterbowl and his low litterbox close by. I offer him water every hour or so and hold the bowl for him to make it easy for him to drink. I'm keeping the room dimly lit and quiet and Minnie is the only kitty traffic in that side of the den. Minnie is giving him lots of loving too as Spike has always been "her boy" too. He shows no signs of distress or pain. Any thoughts would be welcomed and respected.

21. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

@FrostD @Suzanne & Darcy @Diane Tyler's Mom and everyone else who has helped Spike and me through this journey, we thank you from the bottom of our breaking hearts this morning. He was a good boy...the best.

He passed gently and peacefully today in his bed on the couch with me and Minnie by his side. He KNEW he was loved every minute of his long, happy life.

Shelley & Jess and FrostD like this.
  22. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh what bad news. I’m very sad to think of this world not having Spike in it anymore. He did know that you loved him for sure, and that Minnie loved him too. God bless you, Lee. Don’t be a stranger.

oh, tell me: was Spike one of your mom’s kitties?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Lee Renfro likes this.
  23. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

The news is sad today. I'm so sorry that Spike has gone ahead but he will always be in your heart Lee. I'm glad to know you and as Suzanne said, don't be a stranger.

24. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oh Lee :bighug: I am so sorry. You're right - he knew he was so loved, and I hope you can find some peace

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Lee I'm so so sorry. I'm crying right now. I'm looking at Spikes pic now, he was such a beautiful boy. I'm glad he passed away peacefully. I'm sure he knew you and Minnie were by his side.
    You were the best dad he could ever ask for.
    I also had a kitty that passed away from CKD 2 years ago, he was Tyler's brother
    Perry. It's an awful disease. I'm glad you and Minnie spent lots of quality time with Spike. My heart is breaking for you. Please take care Lee and kisses for Minnie
    You will be missed sweet Spike but never forgotten
    Fly high beautiful boy .:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:♥♥

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee Renfro likes this.
  26. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Yes, he was one of my Moms kitties. They all were actually except for my Sophie and Traveller, who showed up here as a young kitten right when my Mom went into the hospital for her 31 day final stay in March-Ap4il 2020. I told Traveller that he would be loved here and I took him to be neutered. He actually loved the car ride so I knew he was a cool cat....lol

Mom also fed Momma Kitty and her son, Leo who live in my cousin Rileys carport and barn next door. I'm outside feeding them their supper right now. They know when it's breakfast and suppertime....lol

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  27. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Thank you so very much. Yall are such loved people in my and Spikes life and I'll be dropping by to say "hi" pretty often here.

I just been cuddling with Minnie and reminiscing about good old times. Minnie is giving me extra love as we both need it tonight.

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Suzanne & Darcy and Lee Renfro like this.