Spreadsheet Review Please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sugarkitty15, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Hello,

I'm hoping someone could review Squeak's spreadsheet. I feel like we've been in a endless circle with no luck of remission yet. Based off a previous post in here, I dropped his no shoot number to 90 since he's only a drop. It seems we get down to a drop, then he has a higher spike for a week or so, where I increase to .25U, then gradually his numbers get low enough for it to warrant a reduction to a drop again based on the SLGS. Any ideas on what I can do to get him over this 'hump', so to speak, to help Squeaks get into remission? Side note, my night testing has fallen to the wayside due to obligations, but I try to get some in here and there! TYIA for any help you can provide!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

All I can think of is to try changing his diet, eliminating one of the foods you give him. Perhaps one of those foods is keeping Squeak's BG levels higher, causing him to spike back up. It could be one particular flavor of food, or it could be one particular brand of food.

Are there any kind of treats in Squeaks diet?

It could be the simple variation in trying to draw up that really tiny one drop dose and the variation in how syringes are marked on the barrel.

Sometimes, switching a cat on Prozinc to Lantus insulin instead gets them over that "hump". If you know anyone that uses lantus, try to get a lantus pen from that person. There is usually enough left in a pen to be used for a cat, especially since Squeaks is on such a tiny dose.

3. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Thanks Deb! I do mark what foods I feed him each day so I will further review and see if I can identify any trends. He does get treats after his treat, they're the freeze dried treats, like chicken or turkey, so I don't think those have too many carbs. That's interesting, I mean, I'd certainly be willing to try Lantus if that could help! Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that uses that. Is Lantus the kind in the pens? Think there's any way my vet could prescribe just one? (Just curious as I'm sure you've seen a lot on this message board, lol!)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Yes, your vet could prescribe a lantus pen.
    Or, you could go over to our Supply Closet - For Sale or Free forum and see if someone has a pen available.
    Or send a PM (Start a Conversation) to member Alan Hamman. He often has insulin available.

5. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Oh ok! Thanks for the insight, I'll try that first before I try my vet. If/when I would get a lantus pen, would it just be a drop with that insulin as well? Or would I start at a different dose?

6. Deb & Wink

It would be only a drop of lantus (or levemir). Basaglar is a biosimilar to lantus, so if there is a possibility you have access to that insulin, it works basically the same as lantus.

Lantus is a depot type insulin, so the full dose doesn't go into action for several cycles. With only the 1 drop dose of lantus, you'll need to be extra careful to monitor the BG levels closely.

7. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Oh, ok, that's good to know! I'm working on getting some levemir now, so fingers crossed!!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Nadir for levemir tends to be much later than with Lantus. I'm not all that familiar with levemir, so you'll want to post in the Lantus/Levemir ISG group for help.

9. Sugarkitty15

Sugarkitty15 Member

Ok sounds good, thanks for your help @deb :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Sorry, didn't get the tag. You need to put the complete user name after the @ sign. Spaces and all.

Sugarkitty15 likes this.