squishy 6/22

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sugarsquishy, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

got off track a little bit yesterday. the lower numbers made me pretty nervous with not being able to be here as much as i wanted to. i gave him a skinny unit this morning, and i believe i am just going to stick with that for a while. i feel like i am starting to lose the hang of it.

2. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

also, my vet never wrote out a prescriptions for me. so i am a little unsure about what to do when the time comes that i need more insulin. should i just go back to my vet and ask her for it? and then where do i get it filled?

3. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

You can get the insulin from your vet, or you can ask for a prescription and fill it elsewhere. It is not something you can get from a human pharmacy, but you can shop around online or at other vets to get the best price. My vet is reasonable, so I will just get it from her. I think I paid $109. There is a source list for ProZinc here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1979#p56456

As far as losing it....I think you are doing a great job of figuring it out! I agree with sticking to one dose (skinny u looks good) for a few cycles and see if his #s stabilize. Once you get some of the u100 syringes, it will help you be more accurate with dosing and make tiny adjustments accurately. The way I look at it, if you don't try different things, you can't figure out what works, right? It's all good for gathering data.

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree you're doing great! Many of us have dropped the dose way down on a lower PS only to find the #s went high - that's how you learn what dose is really needed, and gain confidence in shooting on lower PSs as you gather data & see what works. And his #s really aren't bad at all, it looks pretty good to me. From what I have seen, most cats tolerate the full dose, or pretty close, even at lower PSs. When there's variation in the dose they need based on PS, for many cats it seems to be just in the 0.1 or 0.2 range, tho I'm sure some cats needed a bigger reduction.

In your SS, you might want to pick some #s for doses, like 0.75, or 0.8 and use that - even if it's not 100% accurate, it'll make it easier for people to follow what approximate dose you are giving, than trying to guess if you went "fat skinny" :mrgreen: on a dose, what that actually translated to. Then you could put in the notes that the dose is an estimate. Just a thought :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.