squishy 6/24 amps 154.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sugarsquishy, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Good call on lowering the dose! I would stick with it for a few cycles regardless of the #s you see today (unless of course he has a low nadir!) and see where he ends up when it settles. The 0.8 dose looked too high, the ps#s keep dropping further and further into no shoot territory....too much overlap, so time to lower the dose. You don't want to end up where we did! ;-)

I would be happy to send you some u100s. If you want them, pm me your address and I will get them right out to you. It's totally up to you, I won't be offended at all if you aren't comfortable with it! :smile:

3. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

hey and thank you. i will send you a pm later. when did his +5 bg. the first test was 181, i did it again because i thought his blood looked funny. like maybe there was some pus in it. is there any way to tell if his ear is infected. i did his test again and it was 200. that seemed a little strange to me. anyway back to his ears. they look a little red but i thought that was just bruised he does not act like it hurts him at all. but i am a little worried about that. i did put a little antibiotic cream on them. is it possible for us to use the complete opposite side of his ear? and if his ear is infected how is that going to affect him and the insulin? or am i just being over worried about this?

4. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I think some peeps use Neosporin regularly. You can test either on the inside or the outside edge of the ear. I do the inside b/c I misread all the "sweet spot" pics and thought they were using the inside, but I guess it's actually the outside. But now we are used to it. People do both though. And of course switch between ears to give each a break for a while. If you are seeing something funny though I would trust your gut - I've never seen anything like that, and surely with all the pokes we all do, infection is a real possibility.

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Like Joanna said, infection is quite possible with all the poking we do, so if you think he might have an infection, I would either use the other side of the ear or switch ears. Of course treat the infection that is present but I would also start putting neosporin on after you poke, just to prevent future infections. We don't do that, and I use the same ear all the time because the other one doesn't like to bleed as well. If you do switch ears, I would do a test on both ears at at the same time once, because there can be a significant difference between the readings on different ears, and you would want to know to take that into account.

My vet actually used the risk of infection in his ears as a reason not to home test. :roll: Let's see....risk of an infection VS risk of hypoglycemia.....I think I'll take the risk of infection! She did suggest using a baby wipe to clean his ears before testing, but I KNOW Tinkles won't tolerate it! I do clean my lancing pen every time with alcohol. I read somewhere that you shouldn't clean the ear with alcohol because it will sting when you test him?

I'll check back later for the pm. :smile:

6. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

A couple random thoughts about testing and the ears:

I always poke the inside of the ear, and I never poke anywhere near the edge like the pictures show. I just rub, then look for a nice pink spot ANYWHERE inside his ears. It REALLY helps me to use a clear top lancet pen, so I can see how pink a spot gets when I press, and then how much blood oozes out so I can stop pressing.

I have also noticed that sometimes the blood looks thinner (less dark red, almost watery) on some pokes, and the numbers I get from that blood is almost always higher. I can poke again, get a dark red spot and it will be a lower number in the range of what I expected. I dont know why, but I've definitely noticed it frequently. so beware of the watery looking drop!

I do usually use one ear because it bleeds better, but with our switch to lev I have been testing so much that we are breaking in the other ear lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.