squishy 6/27. +4 58

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sugarsquishy, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

got low again. amps 189 i only shot .2u. just keeping an eye on him. hoping the numbers will back in time for me to go meet with marvie.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you know i read on your ss about his ears being all sensitive, maybe infected. with these #'s i wonder if you dare go a day or 2 with no testing no shots. not today until your sure he's not going any further down. the truth is a day or 2 will not be any set back for a kitty in his current state of 'taking care of himself' the proof in the pudding was his stress sent him to 299 and he brought himself all the way down to your amps #.
    it may seem risky to you, but i would feel comfy giving tomtom a break if he needed it.

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

That is very interesting that he brought himself down like that - and to boot that 0.2u brought down his numbers so much! I do think that what Lori suggested may be a good experiment for you. It is quite possible that he will keep himself in the mid 100's all on his own with only a boost once a day or so.

4. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

double post :lol:

5. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

i think this also sounds like a good idea. i would love to give his little ears a break. i do think they are infected, and i have been putting antibiotic cream on them after every time i test. do you think it would be safe to start that tonight? he is back up to 94 right now.

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

The other option you could try is testing on his paws. Just another thought.

I just wonder, if his ears are infected, why are his BG #s so good? Infection usually will cause BG levels to rise. I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe that isn't always the case...maybe someone else would know better than I do! I know when Tinkles started getting a sinus infection, his numbers went high and stayed there...

ETA: I don't disagree with the idea of not shooting for a few days, my question is, how will you know how it worked if you aren't testing?

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I think it's good you gave that shot, next time I would probably try even less than 0.2u, just a fat 0 maybe (just a drop basically). Although there's nothing wrong with waiting at a 189 to see if he brings the # down on his own, there's nothing wrong with giving the insulin, and it got him back into good #s which is great.

If the antibiotic cream doesn't seem to be working, I would probably head to the vet if you think he has an infection. Although I know in your shoes I wouldn't want to (vet might argue against home testing, though it's clear from the data you've got that the testing has helped you get Squishy in an awesome place BG-wise!!!).

I would probably also give his ears as much rest as you can - with Bix if I had a heavy testing day then I would only test PSs the next day. Although it's great when we all can get lots of data, I think you have enough collected at this point to let some of it rest. If you give a tiny shot, I would probably just skip spot tests, or at most do one at +4 if you are worried about low #s. You know the food is working well for him, so even if you see a lowish #s at this point, I don't think you have to keep retesting a lot. I would if you got something scary like a 20, but if you get a 50 at +4 on a tiny dose and you go ahead and feed, I think you can feel comfortable he will be fine based on past data. If it were me I probably would not test any more today til bedtime - I'd be tempted to even skip the normal +12, since there's a good chance from today's #s it won't be shootable anyhow.

Or take a couple days off seems ok to me, though I'd hate to see you lose progress if his #s do go higher - seems like he is really really close right now and might just need a couple more token doses here & there to go all the way. [anti-jinx!!!]

Remember also that infection can raise their BGs, and pain also if his ears are starting to hurt. And of course infections like that can take some work to get rid of, so if you give his ears a day or two rest altogether, and also keep applying the cream, and his ears don't look a lot better, I'd probably go ahead to the vet...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes if he is back up to 94 you can stop now. .2u will not hurt him at this point.
    pretend for a day or 2 that you have a nice normal kitty and put away the needles and pokies and just love on him for tolerating it all.
    i honestly believe you are in a very good place to do this.
    by this i mean even if he goes up he will bring himself down...many kitties going into remission will test a high # and not shoot it to watch and see it come down on it's own.
    best to you and squishy :D
    lori

9. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

As we were winding down, Ari went to "as needed" dosing of .1 unit for almost a month (with a 145 no shoot). When she started to show signs of rebound after a shot (180 was the next PS) I raised her shoot #.

In links in my sig you'll see Ari's 4/25 SS where we started going as needed. She would go for a few days then spike and I'd shoot. Then a longer, then longer time. We're now at 23 days without a shot and all greens for the last 10 days. Don't know if the info will help, but it sounds like Squishy's heading that way.

10. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Oooh Hope, that is awesome!!!!!! Is it party time yet? :mrgreen:

[ETA: Oops, I see you posted on the remission thread the same day Michelle did - guess I missed b/c I just read the last post thinking that was the only new one. So sorry to leave Aria out of the party, she & Pru could have partied together. Well, I guess 2 parties are better than one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.