08/08 Milo stalled shot AMPS 146 +1 295, +2 342

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dosing-advice-requested.233326/#post-2607416

I’ve done everything wrong. I missed valuable advice from China in the middle of the night (for me). Now I’m not sure what to do.
    Milo: AMPS 146, .5. (No food)@133, +1 @ 167 (after eating). He’s new to numbers in the blue and bounced high yesterday (day 3 of Lantus increase to 3.5.
    I can only stay home another couple of hours. I have not shot yet. It almost +1.5. Please help me. I’m in the weeds here..

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer. I wish I could advise you about shooting. Hopefully someone will be around shortly. :bighug:

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha likes this.
  3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Mistakes happen, no worries! He hasn't gone up by much at all with the food so I would either skip or given a token dose (10-25% of 3.5, so give .5 or .75u). Someone else may have better advise but these are play it safe options - and if you've stalled enough already that it will really effect your schedule you can skip.

4. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thank you!!

5. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thank you. I gave him .75U. I hope it wasn’t a fur shot, it was such a small dose I couldn’t even feel the plunger move. I appreciate your help!!

6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You're welcome! :) Check on him before you leave and when you input his dosage for today I would include "token dose" with it so people know why you dropped today.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sorry nobody was around to help. Leave out food when you leave.

8. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Thanks. Do I put it in AMPS?? Or somewhere in the chart itself to show I waited 1 1/2 hours?? Boy, I have a lot to still learn! Thanks for walking me through this. I know the numbers probably don’t look alarming for experienced kitty owners but I’m so worried about him going too low, especially when I can’t be here all day.

9. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Definitely. My son can feed him throughout the day but he can’t do the testing. It’s a bit beyond him..

10. tiffmaxee

You put all the numbers in the amps box. Your shot tonight needs to be 12 hours from when you gave the shot. Well actually it can be 15 minutes early each cycle or 30 minutes every 24 hours until you get back to your desired time.
    I’m glad your son can keep a eye on him.

Panic and Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha like this.
  11. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry, nothing wrong with that!

It will look something like this:
    U (unit cell): 0.75 token dose (or BCS for "big chicken shot")
    AMPS: 146, 133 (+12.5), 167 (+13), 229 (+13.5)

You will have to manually color the cell because it won't do it automatically when you type in anything other than a number.
    In the remarks column I would put that you fed at +12.5. It's not +1 until an hour after the new cycle starts, so if you stall for two hours post-normal shot-time that makes it +14, not +2.

12. tiffmaxee

I’d remove the? and put in your amps.

13. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I feel like I've really messed Milo up today. I have to leave and he's now +2 346 from his low of 146 earlier. And he can't get his next shot of insulin for 10 more hours. What can I likely expect today? It seems like going high isn't good but not as an immediate danger as being too low??? I will have my son feed him regularly today. Now he seems to be more interested in eating.... He's very fickle and finished the raw food that he had turned up his nose at initially then picked away at an hour or so ago. Is there anything else I should do before I leave?

14. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Nothing else to do since your son is there. You just have to ride those highs out, could be the lower dose, could even be bouncing and be back down by PMPS. Better too high for a day than too low for a minute. ;)

15. tiffmaxee

Deep breaths. Being too low is definitely worse than too high. You did what you felt right. He will get back on track. The count starts over to fill the depot. Which method are you following? Please add to your signature.

Panic likes this.
  16. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

I am following the TR protocol. So, do you mean that I hold him at the same dose for 6 more cycles since my BFC this morning?

17. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes, any time you drop or skip a dose like today, the cycle count starts over.

18. tiffmaxee

No. holding for a week is with SLGS. With TR it’s at least 6 cycles, three days, unless a reduction is earned. Shooting the BCS does means the depot needs to fill again. So go back tonight to 3.5 tonight.. Depending on the nadir after 6 cycles you will either hold longer or increase unless a reduction is earned.

19. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Excellent. I understand. Thanks for clearing that up. And it’s BCS...lol! I’ll get this right eventually!!