? stalling, should I give insuln

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by mary hornbeck, Dec 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

hi everyone:
    Tonight my cats BG was 104 at 5 pm so I didn’t give him any insulin when I fed him.Previously my vet had said no insulin under 200 but to give insulin if BG is above 200. When I took another reading at ten his BG was 360, should I give him insulin now to decrease his BG by the morning, thoughts please

He gets 1unit twice a day

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest you wait until tomorrow AM. If you dose now the time to AM dose will be shortened and you might get some overlap with the AM dose. It’s best to give doses 12 hours apart.

3. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Is it normal to skip injection if readings are in and out of normal ranges. For example if BG level is within normal range in am but above normal range in pm is skipping a dose acceptable/normal

4. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

On a good note marmalade stayed at the vets today and they tested for keytones, infection , and possible weight loss in light of diarrhea and vomiting this past 2-3 weeks but everything was normal. So far he had a better appetite tonight and has kept food down.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Why do u think his number increased so much?

6. Kris & Teasel

This can be done occasionally. If you have quite a few of theses situations happening it can mean that the dose is too high.

7. Kris & Teasel

It could be that he’s bouncing in reaction to that low number at 5 PM or it could be high because he didn’t get his dose earlier.

8. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I did the right thing by skipping the insulin with the 104=reading, correct

9. Kris & Teasel

Yes, you did.

10. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I am pretty sure he got 1 unit at the vets because the vet said to resume normal doseage and feeding schedule with next meal time. I am going to test tomorrow, 5/6am, do u think it will be going down by then

11. Kris & Teasel

I expect his BG will be high because of no shot tonight. Try not to worry about that. You can start over tomorrow. Give some thought to setting up a spreadsheet for him.

12. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I will be working on that tomorrow with another person on this site

13. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Hi, I wanted to continue his, marmalades, numbers with since he has returned from the vets Saturday afternoon:

Saturday afternoon at 6 his BG was great at 104, no insulin given
    10p- BG was 350
    * at the vets he got a unit of insulin ay 9:30a so his next injection should of st 9:30p I didn’t think about it and stuck to his regular injection time which was 6p.

12/10/17
    6:30a- BG 341, 1 unit, ate all 1/2 cup of food.
    10:45a-BG 305
    4:12p- BG 396

My question is this “ should I bump him to 1.5 units at his next meal time, 6p, as his numbers are Going up?

He was on 2.5 previously until a BG drop of 69 then his numbers climbed so I started him on 1 unit to be safe but now I’m thinking that I should increase by .5 as his numbers are climbing. Before all his diarrhea and his vomiting he was on 2.5 and his numbers were no more than 300’s

14. Kris & Teasel

Given that you've dropped the dose, are testing and his numbers are high I think you can bump him to 1.5 u for tonight's shot. Get a test in before bed to see what happens at that higher dose. Leave him at it tomorrow and gather pre shot data and at least one test around 6 hours after the morning injection. Make sure he has all food removed at least 2 hours before the AM and PM pre shot tests.

15. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

K, thank u for being patient with me. I have to work until 3:30/4 tomorrow but I’ll do as u ask and get numbers tomorrow am and pm. Once again, thank u for your help

16. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

BG at 6p was 425, 1.5 units, 1/2 cup of food (continuation of 12/10/17)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.