? Standing to pee

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bama Kitty Mom (GA), Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Bama who just turned 14 has started standing to pee recently and the stream ends up going over the sides of the litter box. He's chunky at 17 lbs. He has the extra large size litter box already but he prefers to pee as close to the side as possible. The box sits inside a lid to a plastic tote to act as a sort of mote and I have pee pads all around the outside of the box. I don't think an enclosed box with top entry would work given his age. He used to have a box with sides but he was so cramped and ended up peeing out of the entry way so I got him the extra large box. Maybe a smaller litter box inside inside the XL litter box to move him more to the middle?

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what you mean by standing to pee because I feel all cats kinda stand in a crouching position... Minnie has had many litter box accidents because she does like to pee on the edge as well, but the issue is her butt starts to lift up and the pee stream starts to go up and out of the box. Is that similar to what’s happening with Bama? Can you post a pic of the set up you have for the litter box? I never found a solution btw. I tried open and closed top boxes and Minnie would still pee facing the entry to the closed box so the pee would still go out. I just got used to having to clean the bathroom floor and eventually I moved the box into the shower for easier cleaning. It does help me that she pees outside during the day and in the box only really overnight

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. I would try it.
    j.

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

If I happen to be around when she goes in to pee, I watch and gently keep her butt down with my hand until she’s done peeing. Yes, what won’t I do for this girl? :rolleyes:

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

:banghead:
    Holy crap that’s basically a storage box with an entry. Brilliant! I wish I had room for it. My bathroom is teeny tiny :(

I love the planter too ha! Knowing Minnie she’d still pee towards the opening :banghead::banghead::banghead:

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

That's a great idea about the storage box, have you seen the movie The Fockers with Robert Di Nero and Ben Stiller? When Di Nero taught his cat Jinx to use the toilet bowl to pee, lol wish our kitties could learn to do that lol

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

The most I’ve been able to do is potty train Minnie to go outside before bedtime. I say let’s go potty and she comes with me and pees :p

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Wow smart Minnie, that is awesome Ale :cat:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  10. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I’ve been using storage totes as litter boxes for years, some with openings cut on one side, some with the lids off with no holes (cats just jump in), some with lids off AND holes cut. You’d be surprised at the various feline preferences, although nearly all of them love the large open “field” of litter.

Some cats are “elevator” pee-ers ... they start with their butt crouched in the normal low position but then slowly lift their butt as they pee until a fountain shoots over the edge of the box. I’ve had one who has done that his whole life. Tall-sided totes really help eliminate that problem, though for the truly talented pee’ers (like my guy) there’s still an occasional oops.

Other cats, especially older ones, begin to crouch less as they age. I have one who pretty much stands to pee these days. I’m guessing it’s related to age and arthritis in his back and/or legs and am just thankful that he still goes in the box. I have to wipe down the inside walls of the tote occasionally but that sure beats cleaning up urine outside the box. Same thing as above — a storage tote with tall sides help eliminate issues.

It’s good that you identified the real issue. You’d be surprised at how many people accuse the cat of peeing outside the box when really it’s just an overshot.

Even smaller totes with tall sides can work in confined spaces.

Dr. Lisa has quite a bit of info about litter box issues and options on her website and suggests storage totes or concrete mixing tubs as litter boxes. If you haven’t seen it, here’s some interesting reading:
    https://catinfo.org/the-litter-box-...es_of_Litter_Boxes,_Size,_Number_and_Location

I will say I had a friend who once used a hard plastic kids swimming pool as a litter box in the basement. Sounded like an interesting idea (cats liked the surface area) but it didn’t prevent the cats from peeing over the sides, the center was difficult to reach to scoop, and it was so heavy and cumbersome that it was virtually impossible to dump and scrub.

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Omg Minnie is totally an elevator kitty LOL

I had no idea there was a whole category of them. I thought it was just her :D

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi there very interesting read, thank you

13. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Brilliant to use totes! I have the automatic ScoopFree, which I love, but one cat won’t use, so she has a regular box, but I know she would prefer more space. She is so picky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.