Starting B12 injections

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Smokey and Jessica, May 19, 2022.

1. Smokey and Jessica

Smokey and Jessica Member

I’ve been away for some time since Smokey has been OTJ for 3 years. Over the last year or so he has gradually lost a lot of weight though, and more recently the last few months, he’s been vomiting a lot. After a full blood work up and a GI panel, vet is assuming chronic pancreatitis which could even explain our time with diabetes. I refused steroids to avoid having to use insulin again. Smokey is always between 70s-90s on a human meter when I spot check. We’re trying probiotics, enzymes, and B12 injections now to see if it will help symptoms. My problem is the needles they gave me are 1cc/ml with detachable needles and they’re so long they’re almost impossible to use. Smokey is nothing but skin and bones and I just can’t work with a 2” long needle. I want to use the syringes I used for insulin. I believe they were U40 needles (I went through my old posts to confirm). I can’t remember the markings and not sure how to get the right dose. He’s supposed to get 0.1cc twice/week. This is the same as 1unit? One line on an insulin syringe?

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  2. MarthaL

MarthaL Member

I would suggest you post this on the Feline Health forum if you have not already done so. Hopefully someone can help you there. Good luck.