Starting over

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CheleD, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Happy Thanksgiving! I was on here years ago after my baby got diagnosed. At the time I had a really good vet who taught me home testing, etc. and ZoZo did well. It'a been about 5 years and I'd stopped even writing his numbers down.

Fast forward to now. His numbers are steadily increasing - up to over 500 in some instances. On average I'd say in the 300s though pre-eating - but times lower in the 100s too. We use ProZinc and the AlphaTrak meter/strips. The numbers just vary so wildly like the vet said that cats do, but I see him increasing and that's concerning. He's also been drinking a lot of water lately. He's eating at every meal though and acting fairly normal - hops up on windowsill to bird watch, up on bed, purring a lot, seeking me out, etc - not hiding.

I feel like I need to start over with his care and need help. He's approximately 15 and I've had him since he was just under a year.

Food is FF Pate, Tiki, and Dr. Elsey's dry. I have another cat the same age and they both seem to get bored easily, so I try to mix it up.

They both have hairballs and he seems to be working on one - threw up twice yesterday but none today.

Help me. I love this animal so much and want to do whatever I can to help him. His original vet retired and the new one doesn't normally even encourage home testing, so I really need your help.

Thank you!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME BACK! We will try to get You and ZoZo sorted.
    I'm wondering if ZoZo has the start of some kind of infection (thats usually the culprit for rising numbers out of the blue) When was ZoZo's last dental? If a long time ago it could be his teeth. Do you check his urine for ketones? You may want to get some ketostix and see if theres anything brewing there.
    We would like you to set up a signature and spreadsheet. You can learn how to do this here:

New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

On this page please pay particular attention to the "Profile/Signature" section The information input will appear at the bottom of all your posts. This way anyone that comes to assist you will have at a glance information for quick and accurate help.
    Further down theres a link for setting up the spreadsheet. BOTH these features will serve you. We hope to get to know you and ZoZo and help him get back on track.
    jeanne

3. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Thank you so much! I've dedicated myself to staying home all weekend to track him better. Can you please remind me how to do a curve?

I just looked back on the book we kept the first 4.5 years or so and he did have some numbers that high back then. I think I may be overdosing him for them. I just tested him again and he was 48, so gave him more food and he ate.

But yes, I will get the signature set up asap. Thanks again!

4. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Ok, got it set up. What are the abbreviations like AMPS, U, etc on the spreadsheet? I can't find them explained - sorry!! What's the +1, +2, etc?

I'm planning on doing a curve tomorrow once I get a link to explain how to.

So excited to have this tool. You all are amazing in what you do to help our precious babies! Thank you!

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome

Curves

Example
    Lets say you test at 7 AM, then feed them, then you give insulin
    @Chris & China (GA) corrected me below see #15 Thank you Chris
    I made the correction

So your next test would be 2 hours later which would be
    at 9:00 AM then
    at 11:00 AM
    at 1:00 PM
    at 3:00 PM
    at 5:00 PM
    at. 7:00 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong it's test ,shoot then feed is this correct?
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@carfurby

@Wendy&Neko

@Deb & Wink

@Critter Mom

@tiffmaxee

@JanetNJ

@Red & Rover (GA)

@Nan & Amber (GA)

Anyone

Thank you ladies

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

AMPS means the AM Pre Shot the BG you got when you tested first thing in the morning

U means how many units you are shooting example 1 U. 1.25 U, 1,5 U, etc

+1. Means 1 hour after you tested your cat first thing in the morning

+2. Means 2 hours after ditto

Example
    You shot insulin
    at 7:00 AM
    If you check again @+1 that would be 8:00 AM
    @+2. If you tested @+2 that would be 9:00 AM
    @+3. Would be 10:00 AM

PMPS means PM Pre Shot
    So you test at 7:00 PM then shoot insulin
    @+1
    @+2
    @+3
    Same example as above

We shoot every 12 hours

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Can you go back to your signature and list what ZoZo's foods are and Prozinc and the meter you are using.
    I assume you are giving him insulin now?
    @CheleD

Here are the instructions to set up the spreadsheet, if you have trouble doing it
    we have 2 members that will set it up for you
    Take a look at anyone's SS just to see how it works

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  8. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks a million Diane! I got interrupted by a turkey that needed to get on the grill. :oops:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem Jeanne, on the grill sounds delicious :cat:

10. jt and trouble (GA)

stuffed with orange and lemon slices, fresh rosemary and sage, and a globe of garlic....Its to die for.

Becca84 likes this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm drooling right now lol

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's Test, Feed, Shoot. You test to make sure they're high enough for insulin at all, Feed to make sure they're at least willing to eat and Shoot, usually while their head is in the bowl.

The only time that differs is if someone is using an older insulin like Vetsulin/Caninsulin or Novolin N.....those insulin's it's still Test/Feed/Shoot but after you feed, you wait 30 minutes before shooting.

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Chris & China (GA) Hi Chris , I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, and thank you so much for seeing this and correcting me. I never thought to tag you, but thank you for catching this, I didn't want to give her the wrong info . ♥:bighug:
    :cat: I will correct my post

17. Chris & China (GA)

No worries. Depending on how busy the FD group is and what kind of day I've had, I'm not always here to look for tags. I do try to check here at least before I call it a night though just in case there's somebody in trouble.

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

And I thank you for that, have a good sleep Chris :bighug::cat:

19. CheleD

CheleD New Member

I tried to add this to my signature but said it could only be two lines long..."
    Diagnosed 05/2016
    Prozinc every 12 hours as advisable
    Using FF Pate, Tiki Cat, and Dr. Elsey's dry - mixture of as they tend to get bored"

Can someone look at his curve so far today? He didn't eat much but was eating when I gave insulin - and neither did my other cat eat much (non-sugar cat who I use as my control lol) - guess they don't like that flavor today.

Is it dropping too fast? Should I give him something else to eat?

20. jt and trouble (GA)

you can cut out a lot of those words like "using" just ffpate works DrE dry works. leave off the tend to get bored part. using abbreviations works too

21. jt and trouble (GA)

can you test in 30 mins?

22. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Ok, fixed signature and yes I can!

23. jt and trouble (GA)

Looking for Prozinc help.

24. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Re-tested and updated spreadsheet - it was actually an hour later

25. jt and trouble (GA)

Much better number good I dont think you need to feed . I would test again in an hour just to see where hes going

CheleD likes this.
  26. Diane Tyler's Mom

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

If you can just add DX/2016 to your SS

jt and trouble (GA) and CheleD like this.
  28. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Nice numbers today!!!

29. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Another reading on spreadsheet. When should i test again?

30. JanetNJ

You are good until preshot

31. CheleD

CheleD New Member

With ProZinc, how long until the numbers usually start coming back up?

32. JanetNJ

You already hit your low with the 93, so it's climbing back up slowly.

33. JanetNJ

Did you only just start using ProZinc? Or had he been on it this whole time?

34. CheleD

CheleD New Member

He's been on it the whole time. Just questioning my dosage, so doing some curves and getting input from you all.

JanetNJ and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  35. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Updated - no insulin tonight? He is eating quite a bit tonight btw :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. Chris & China (GA)

I scanned the rest of this thread but didn't see an answer....how long has he been back on insulin and how did you get to 2.5U?

37. CheleD

CheleD New Member

He's been on ProZinc since being diagnosed in 2016. About present dosage - just going based on what original vet advised - he said basically to give 1 for every 100 once you get past 150 or so. I've just gotten off track I think and his has been rising so I'm starting over doing some curves and getting some advice.

38. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Original vet taught me to adjust dose based on numbers, but I'm seeing a lot here give same dosage each time as long as it's over a certain point. Which approach is best?

39. Chris & China (GA)

Getting a PS that's too low to shoot is a good indication that the dose is too high. If he was my cat, I'd start at a lower dose and hold it for a few days. Without having more data showing how much he's been getting and what kind of BG he's been having, I'd probably suggest 1 to 1.5U

The way your vet recommends is more of a "sliding scale" dosing method. We usually see better results by giving the same dose both AM and PM

40. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Ok, thank you! That's very helpful. So, tomorrow as long as it's not low, give him 1.5 each time and see how that goes? Would you advise another curve? I'm home all weekend, so was going to try to gather as much info as I can.

41. Chris & China (GA)

Sounds like a good plan to me!

You probably don't need to do an "official" curve. Maybe one cycle get +3, +6, +9 and another +2,+5, +8..just "sprinkle" them around. Be sure to always get at least a "before bed" on the PM cycle too. Most cats go lower at night so it's important to know what's going on before you go to bed. A lot of us drink a big glass of water in the evening so we "have to" get up later in the night....as long as we're up anyway, we grab a test!

Diane Tyler's Mom and CheleD like this.
  42. Chris & China (GA)

Looks like ZoZo's liver works well! That was quite a bounce!

Nice to see the numbers coming down though.

CheleD and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  43. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Do you mean the bounce from last night to this morning? How does that indicate his liver is working well?

44. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Has ZoZo had bloodwork done lately? Dental check? You said he is drinking more water and there is a change in his numbers. It would be worth it to check and make sure nothing else is going on to elevate those numbers. Just a thought.

CheleD likes this.
  45. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Dental check yes but I don't think they checked his bloodwork last time.

46. Chris & China (GA)

Bounces happen when 1. they drop too low, 2. they drop too fast, 3. they drop into numbers their body isn't used to anymore (or any combination of all 3). The liver reacts by releasing stored sugars and hormones to bring the blood glucose back up quickly.

So when you see a strong bounce like that, you at least know the liver is doing one of it's jobs!

CheleD likes this.
  47. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Higher this morning. Would you advise a bump in insulin or not?

48. CheleD

CheleD New Member

I bumped him to 1.75 and will see how today goes.

49. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Back again - still getting high numbers and just not sure where to go from here. Can anyone advise? Have quite a lot of numbers on the spreadsheet now so you can see what's been going on. Thanks!

50. JanetNJ

I see the dose changing with each shot rather than holding to dose to see if it's a good one. You need to get more consistent with the dose. ProZinc is dosed based on how low the cat goes, and so you will want to get mid cycle tests. I have a feeling he may be dropping low and bouncing up.

Critter Mom likes this.
  51. JanetNJ

52. CheleD

CheleD New Member

Thank you - I will read that! Any guidance on where to go from here specifically? I am following the diagnosing vet's recommendations from when he was diagnosed 5 years ago - he has since retired. I tried earlier in the spreadsheet to do what you're describing, but his numbers kept climbing, so wasn't sure what to do other than go back to what I'd been doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.