Sterling's Tribute 1997-August 12, 2010

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Libby and Sterling, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby and Sterling

Libby and Sterling New Member

Today Sterling returned home. His cremains have been placed in the Bast Egyptian urn I bought over a year ago. It is sitting in my curio cabinet with all my other treasures. I feel like it is a fitting time to sit down to reflect and write a tribute.

I remember the day I went to answer a newspaper ad that I saw for free kittens. There were four kittens available. Fully intending to pick out a female, my eyes connected with Sterling's and I knew he was the "ONE". He was so small, gray (I have an affinity to gray cats) and adorable. Sterling was so frisky with his siblings but the minute we started driving home, he settled into my arms and rested his little head on my shoulder, purring very sofly into my ear. Until the end he would love to be held against my chest with his head resting on my shoulder.

Sterling loved to lick my plate/bowl after I finished eating but especially the milk from my cereal or remnants of my beef stew. He loved tuna water and when he heard the can opener he would jump up on the counter and wait while I drained the water from the can. He didn't really have any favorite toys but he loved to lay down between the keyboard and the edge of the desk while I was on the computer. Towards the end he became agitated when I clicked the mouse and he would nip at my knuckles...Oh to feel those nips now :YMSIGH:

There was the night that Sterling got outside, unbeknowst to me. I realized he was nowhere to be found in the house and panicking I went out to call him home. After many hours of going from the front to backyard, my heart was breaking and I was on the verge of giving up all hope. I went out front to try one last time and was walking the brick garden wall (only 6 inches high) and in the dark, forgot the metal "Welcome" sign. My foot caught it and I fell headfirst into the dirt. Barefooted and only clad in a nightgown, I just sat and cried in my front yard at 2:00 AM. I heard a faint "mew" and there was Sterling, peeking around the bushes. Needless to say I forgot the pain in my foot. ;-)

Sterling wasn't an extraordinary cat but Nina kindly reminded me otherwise. She said "Sterling was special to you, and you to him. The kind of love you shared - that is what was extraordinary." Thank you Nina :smile:

I will miss you Ling-Ling, Ster-be, Boy-O, Pinky (due to his pink nose and paw pads), Snoopy, Lingster (all his endearment names) Mama will never, ever forget you!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting about Sterling. It's nice to know more about him. It sounds like he was very, very loved.

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

(((Libby))) What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful love story... thank you for sharing it and him with us...

4. Libby and Sterling

Libby and Sterling New Member

I want to truly thank each and everyone for the kindest of words and prayers...Thank you Patti and Laurie for the notes you sent...If it wasn't for the wise and wonderful friends I have made here I'm not sure that Sterling would have been with me as long as he was...and thank you to each and every beautiful acrocat that is fighting the fight and to those that have tired and crossed over the Bridge...thank you...thank you...thank you :D

5. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake Member

Libby, You were a very special Mama bean and you had an extraordinary acro baby. Thank you for sharing about Sterling. I can say it does get easier...but there is no other cat that will ever fill our baby's shoes. I still wish every day that I could turn back time.

I like to think all the acro babys have a special place...where they meet up and exchange stories....like "what was the most bg tests you had in one day?" LOL

Maybe one day I'll be able to post a tribute to Spunky...I just come up blank and sad every time I try.

Fresh tears for Sterling...I will miss him...from afar.

Jen

6. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Oh Libby,
    No special words here - just tears I'm afraid. Sterling was such a sweet and special kitty. I always loved the pictures of him in his "pi". And I always remember you calling one nite early on worried about him being too low. Joe answered and you talked with him. I could hear Joe saying - "oh that's not low at all". Poor Libby - you were still so new to it all. But you took everything in stride and took such great care of your special boy. We all fell in love with both of you. Thank you for writing about him.

I think i will picture him now sitting up at the bridge with all our friends - and right now he is sharing that cereal bowl with my Merlin.

7. Sandy and Boris

Sandy and Boris Member

(((Libby))) What a beautiful story, you and Sterling shared a special love. I love how he laid on your shoulder, I know your going to miss that so much.
    I'm so sorry for your loss and your sadness.
    Sandy

8. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Relationships with cats can be so tricky. It's obvious that Sterling chose you, and you were the perfect Mama Bean for him. (( Libby )). Thank you for sharing your memories.

9. sanrun

sanrun Member

I'm so sorry you lost your special boy. Big :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Sandy - Dottie, Jeter & Tilly

o:) Rat, Stubby, Cecil, Jessie & Skippy

10. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Thank you for sharing your story.....I, too, have a love for gray cats. Our acro cat, Bryce, is a calico. But, we have another very special girl, Aspen. Very sorry to hear of your loss. They are all so special and bring so much love to all of us.

11. Juanita & Chika (GA)

Juanita & Chika (GA) Member

What a beautiful tribute for your dear (((Sterling)))

My heart goes out to you (((Libby)))

12. Magnus

Magnus New Member

I am late reading this but remember following Sterling's progress during my first time on the board in 2009. I am really sorry for your loss. Magnus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.