Still learning. What can anyone tell me about our spreadsheet?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Hi,

We just yesterday got comfortable with the ear pricks. Yay! So from now on we will plan on taking a mid-cycle BG test.

Here's our spreadsheet link:
    https://tinyurl.com/yxopz8bq

I'm not able to focus enough to read the article about the two methods. I don't think we're doing the tight method at this point.

Any comments about Squeaky's recent numbers? Thanks in advance.

Oh, the vet wanted us on 2 units, but the forum members suggested lowering back to 1 for a while. So that is what I'm doing. Forum members seem to know more than the vet.

Best,
    Jan

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You need some tests at night. Dosing from 2 to 1 and back makes no sense. Lantus is a depot drug. Maybe consider changing insulin. That’s all I’ve got. I’m pretty sure you know all this.

3. Jan D & Squeaky

Hmmm, don't know all this. Dosed from 1 to 2 and back (not 2 to 1 and back). Still learning...... don't understand a heck of a lot just yet. At least I learned how to do the ear testing yesterday, finally. Thanks for your input.

4. tiffmaxee

Lantus likes consistency. You want the same dose every 12 hours.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to the LBL forum.

You did see a blue on 1 unit on the 8th. I agree with the others that the jump to 2 units was too much. I would hold the 1 units for a few days, then see if you can get a curve done. We need to get an idea how low this dose is taking the cat and those lows are typically somewhere in the middle of the cycle, but not always at +6. A curve (testing every 2 hours for a day), will give you a better idea if +6 is Squeaky's best time to test. As Elise said, many cats go lower at night, so if you can get the odd spot check test before you go to bed, that'll help tell us if there are some lower numbers happening at night too.

The reason for holding the 1 units for a few days before the curve is that the higher dose, then skip, will have disrupted the 1 unit depot and a curve before then wouldn't be representative of what the dose can do. If your testing between now and the end of the curve doesn't shot anything lower than 150, you would increase the dose to 1.25 units.

And don't worry about feeling like you are overwhelmed. :bighug: We all were at first. There is a steep, but thankfully not too long, learning curve. We are here to help. Keep asking questions.

6. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you for your great comment. I copied and emailed it to my vet. She needs to learn, too. If y'all keep talkin' at me, I'll get this eventually! Squeaky and I are just starting to do mid-cycle testing, I would like to take this a bit slowly for both our sake.

7. tiffmaxee

You are ahead of where I was when I joined. I didn’t test for a few months. My vet had me see him and then he though possibly remission so Max was off insulin for a month. Tgen he went back on and I became a testaholic.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  8. Jan D & Squeaky

Hugs to you. I owe where I am to this group and the lovely folks like you. Testaholic huh?

9. tiffmaxee

Yep. Look at my spreadsheets if you dare. Don’t want to scare you away.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  10. Jan D & Squeaky

Wow you are surely the loving cat parent. What impresses me is how many green squares you had, which tells me you did something right. Ay, one eventually loses the battle huh.

11. tiffmaxee

Yes. For Max CHF hit plus CKD.

12. Jan D & Squeaky

Oh so sad. I'm sure it was not easy for either of you. Sending hugs! :bighug: