? stop feeding after nadir?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Diane and Kierra, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

I have been doing multiple feedings throughout the day/night. Kierra is underweight so I am trying to get her weight up plus she is terribly hungry. I was reading a post that mentioned not feeding after the nadir. I haven't been doing that. Should I be? Her nadir seems to be at +6. I definitely have not been feeding her at least two hours before shot time.

2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Diane (is this Diane or Chang?)

She's hungry because she's not able to obtain nutrients from the food she's eating because her blood glucose is too high.

At this point you don't need to worry about stopping food at any point until the two hours before AM or PM pre-shot tests...

Stopping food after reaching the lowest number of the day - typically something in the 50-100 range will often allow the kitty to surf along until the next test and not bump them up into higher numbers.

Which dosing method are you following? It's important to decide which method since it will affect when you'll be able to change your dose.

Also, please update your title like this: 1/12 Kierra AMPS ?

I don't see any entry for 1/12 or the remainder of 1/11 so please fill in your SS - it's very difficult for folks to comment without all the data.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's hard to tell exactly when Kierra's nadir is lately, as I don't see much in the way of tests other than +6 mid cycle. Any time you get a lower number at +6, you might want to test an hour or two later to make sure that was the lowest point. Besides which, nadirs can and do move around a bit. You might want to do a partial curve or mix up those +6 tests a bit if you can.

According to the spreadsheet comments, it does look like Kierra is gaining some weight. What is her ideal weight?

As for feeding after nadir, it can shorten duration and give you higher preshots. The insulin is strongest before nadir, after which point it's BG lower ability starts to slow down. If you feed carbs after nadir, that slows the insulin down even more. If you have to feed after nadir (whenever that is), you can try giving as low a carb food as possible, though one with higher calories if you need her to gain weight.