STORING LANTUS WHILE IN USE

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Janey & Bear, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hi all, please correct me if I’m wrong but an opened LANTUS pen should be stored in the refrigerator standing up, vial side down? Our opened pen that I draw from is approx 4 weeks old, How long should it be good to use?

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I don't think how you store the pen matters. I keep it lying on its side in the back of the fridge where it's less prone to temperature fluctuations. You can use a pen to the last drop. Unlike the glass vial, air doesn't get into the pen so it stays fresher longer.

Sue and Luci and Janey & Bear like this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I did store it in a glass in the fridge standing. I was able to use each pen to the last drop. It will depend n the dose how long that is.

4. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Katherine, thank you for the reply. I don’t know where I read to stand it on end, but I have standing in a cup. Goid to know we can use the entire pen. It’s so expensive!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Pretty much everybody here I have heard say that they store their pens in the refrigerator, yes, but they also use them to the last drop. The pens are designed for humans to carry around in their pocket at room temperature -- that's whee the 28 day advisory comes in that says they will only be good for 28 days. I wonder about the refrigerator position. I store them upright, in a cup in the refrigerator, usually with the pen cap side pointing upward for no other reason that, if you had a pen in your pocket, it would probably be pointed in that direction. If it were important, the instructions on the package insert would say which way to store the pen. Have you checked? I don't recall reading about that -- I only read the package insert that came with my Lantus vial and it said not to shake or roll the Lantus.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Th
    Thank you, glad I don’t need to throw out!
    Ok, I do all that the same BUT, I was told at the vet office to gently roll between palms prior to use. Now I’m worried that maybe ours is no longer ok to use??

7. Katherine&Ruby

Mine told me to roll too but it still remained effective, so don't fret about it.

Janey & Bear likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Your vet's office is misinformed about Lantus. Some of the older insulins required that. Does the insulin look clear? Any floaties?

Your signature says you are giving 1.5 units, but your spreadsheet says you've been dosing 1.0 units. Which is right?

If you are worried about cost of Lantus, there are cheaper places to get it. Buying insulin from Canada.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  9. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hi Wendy, my signature is incorrect, I will change pronto. We are giving 1 unit 2x a day. I’m not at hone but I will look at it as soon as I get home. I do believe it is clear. If it is cloudy , that’s a sign it is no longer good to use? What about people that carry it in their purse and it gets shaken?

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

OK, if you are still giving 1 units, you are long overdue for an increase to 1.25 units, regardless of dosing method. Speaking of which, it's time to think about which dosing method you'd like to follow by reading the Sticky Note: Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)
    Once we know which dosing method you want to follow, we'll be able to help you better.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  11. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Thank you for checking his spreadsheet. I think I better go back and adjust the 1 unit on there to about .5 until 3 days ago as I found out that I was pulling in the insulin to the incorrect line on the syringe and my poor cat was not receiving nearly enough insulin. Since Monday evening he has in fact been receiving 1 unit. Which is ironic as most of his numbers were better a few weeks ago then they are presently. He is all over the place right now. We are very careful about his food, Fancy Feast classic and no dry food whatsoever.

12. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Just my two cents here because you've already gotten great responses to your questions about insulin; and increasing the dosage...

My history with insulin is that we started with a vial which lasted for just over a year - in the fridge on the coolest shelf (for me that's the top shelf)...and pens ever since which I lay on their sides on the top shelf - and I use them for about 3 months or so - or until I've pulled that last drop from the pen...I disregard the expiration date completely...

As for rolling, Wendy mentioned that's for the old style of insulin, not the new one's like Lantus or Levimer - in the olden days insulin was a mixture of a powder and liquid - it needed to be gently rolled every time to mix it up...not anymore...no rolling necessary.

The only time your insulin might become 'suspect' is IF it has been frozen! Or if you've left it in a very hot place (on top of the stove with the oven on or on the dashboard of your car on a sunny day)...neither of those scenarios would be good for Lantus or Levemir....

Hope you have a pleasant evening!

13. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hi Sue, I do appreciate your “2 cents “ as well, thank you for your response, I learn so much from each of you! So with that said about not rolling , is it still ok that the vial we have had been “rolled”?

14. Sue and Luci

Rolling previously is not likely to have made any difference in the Lantus. It's a stable formula now...not like in the old days...shaken not stirred does not apply anymore :)

15. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Sue, thank you, I can sleep better now, not joking, this diagnosis and learning curve weighs heavily on me. It’s a lot to learn.

16. Sue and Luci

There IS so much to learn! It's kinda like drinking from a firehose! I used to read and read..then my mind would scramble and I found that I really couldn't absorb very much at a time...so I'd read a little...and then forget a lot!

I found that it was easier for me to read other people's condos and look at their SS's and see situations - highs, lows and everything in between and how they handled those situations...it helped me learn more about what to do and when...

It also helps to post daily and ask your questions...there are lots of opinions and advice...and well of course the stickies with their mountains of information that's been cultivated over the years and shared...so much reading to do!

Never a dull moment around here!

I see that Wendy has advised an increase and I'm wishing you well .. it's a journey, and increases and decreases are part of that journey... :)

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  17. Katherine&Ruby

:joyful::joyful::joyful: I laughed out loud, @Sue and Luci ! Please listen to Sue, Janey, she's one of the great, positive voices of reason around here. :D

I was so overwhelmed when I started here 6 months ago. Thankfully my Ruby's diabetes coincided with the pandemic and so I've been at home and able to devote my time to being Ruby's nurse and cat servant. I have spent so many hours staring at other cat's spreadsheets, especially the ones who are well regulated, to understand the timeline I could expect to get my cat on track but also to feel better about the emotional rollercoaster that one goes on when your cat's numbers go up and down. Thanks to the wonderful people here, Ruby is well regulated but I post, read and study and learn something new every day. It does get easier. :bighug:

Sue and Luci and Kathy and tiger like this.
  18. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Thank you so much. I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m so upset that I had been giving Bear “ too little” insulin but at least we are on the right track now. But, it’s a month wasted that could have gotten him closer to being regulated. Then I started to wonder if the LANTUS had gone bad and maybe that was the reason for his crazy numbers. I am so grateful that he’s a good kitty and has let me prick his ear multiple times a day

Attached Files:

Sue and Luci and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  19. Katherine&Ruby

It took Ruby more than two months of being on Lantus before any dose "clicked." Patience pants are required. :bighug:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  20. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hahaha, “patience pants” needs to be added to the LANTUS slang dictionary!

Sue and Luci and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  21. Katherine&Ruby

It's not there? The phrase gets thrown around so much that I assumed it was!

Here's your first pair. I like to give leggings, not pants, because it's a pandemic and no one wears pants anymore. :joyful:
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.10.54 PM.png

Sue and Luci and Janey & Bear like this.