1. barrybuttonsmom

    barrybuttonsmom Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi everyone,

    So Barry is new-ish to Lantus. He seemed to respond at first. But now, he isn't (or at least not as well). He had a dental cleaning on December 30th, 2020. Round of clindamycin and metacam after surgery. I was not monitoring his BGs much then. Big regret but can't change that now. Just glad he is still with us. :)

    A couple things:
    - I know in an ideal world, Lantus should be given 12hr apart. But with my lifestyle, it just is not possible. I am doing my absolute best with his shot schedule :) How do others with a busy life and long work days manage?
    -He sees the internist again on Thursday. What questions should I ask? A CT/MRI to confirm acromegaly is out of budget at this time.
    -How long can he safely stay with BG's this high? I can't seem to get them to break. Nothing has changed over the last few days diet/stress wise that I can think of. His SS is sort of a mess, I apologize. I need to organize it better...somehow. (Tips appreciated ;) )



    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MQHDRbHKEQCIMbqtySCu_AXu0/edit#gid=1182885903
     
  2. Wendy&Neko

    Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    You don't need a CT scan or MRI. There is a blood test, called the IGF-1, that is sent to Michigan State University, much cheaper. Maybe the internist can give you a quote for that. If he is positive for acromegaly, there are options for treatment.

    It's not uncommon for cats to have an initial reaction to a switch in insulin, even more so for those with IAA. Hang in there. You started a lot lower than the Vetsulin dose, it's likely you'll have to go up for a while yet to get closer to the Vetsulin dose. Typically we start people a lot closer to the dose of their previous insulin.

    Barry is very occasionally seeing some blue numbers. So it's not like he's solidly high all the time. I've seen cats in much worse numbers for longer.
     
    Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Christie & Maverick

    Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2017
    Hi Emily, I wanted to stop by and offer a few thoughts. I don't think I would have increased to 1.5u as quickly as you did. We usually increase by 0.25u at a time, and since you have decided to follow SLGS it would have been suggested to hold the dose for a week prior to increasing. You held for only 4 days, and in combination, your increase of 0.5u was a larger increment than was warranted. With SLGS, you don't want to rush the process along, by increasing too quickly or by too large increments, no matter how high the BG is, because you may end up shooting past the right dose. Plus, you just started with Lantus, so time for a little patience :).

    Is Barry still getting dry food? You may want to visit the subforum for Lantus/Basalgar and Levemir where there are other members familiar with Lantus to offer suggestions and help with any questions on dosing methods. Please, if you have questions feel free to ask.
     
    Critter Mom likes this.

Share This Page