? SubQ fluids

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Diane and Kierra, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

Merry Christmas eve y'all. :cat:

I have some questions about SubQs. Is there a primer somewhere here on the FDMB? I have been searching a bit and can't find any. I am wondering a few things, like is it ok to reuse the tube on a new SubQ bag? Can SubQ fluids be purchased without a vet prescription? What kind are people using for sugarcats - there are some choices and I am wondering if some SubQ fluids are better than others (lactated ringers, Normosol-R, etc)?

Julia Rae likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

First, tell me why you Chang needs fluids.

An RX is needed. I used to use the tubing 2 times which my vet said was fine as long as I didn’t don’t tough the end that goes into the bag or contaminate it in any way. In most states an RX is needed. When Tiffany needed them the ER sent me home with Normosol R. What a mistake! It’s fine in an IV but stings sub-q for many. It made it really hard to give her fluids for a long time! So you want LRS.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I change the tubing each bag... It's only $3-5. But it's probably ok to use it twice. Needles change every session. Lactated ringers is most likely what you need. I am giving fluids because of kidney disease... Does your cat have ketones?

5. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

I have used subq fluids for another cat in my care and he had a script for it. I have had to give magellan fluids at a camping event as he was not drinking and showing signs of low level dehydration and this time I did not need a script. So all I can say is it depends on the vet and or pharmacy. With the cat that had the script I did not reuse as a new tube came with the ringers.