suggestion for next year's calendar proceeds

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Libby and Lucy, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

May I make a suggestion for how to use some of the proceeds from next year’s high dose calendar? How about establishing a fund that can help with the cost of IGF-1 and IAA tests for cats whose beans can’t afford the testing?

I can think of at least one cat on Lantus ISG right now who should probably have the tests but the family can’t afford it. I also always feel badly when I see signs of resistance on a Canadian cat’s spreadsheet, because I know the cost of testing is extremely prohibitive in Canada.

Even if the family doesn’t plan to undergo extensive treatment for these conditions, it is still very helpful to have the test results and know for sure what they are dealing with.

2. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I think that's a good idea, Libby.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

that's a great idea!

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

It's really a great idea - and I hate to be the downside to this. We raised roughly $400 last year from the calendars. One test in Canada costs roughly that or more. So we would only be able to help one person. We are not as big a group as Lantus - so it's not as possible I believe to have the kind of money that Lantus can. You can ask about this within the FB group also to get more answers there but I know with all the other health needs of many of the acro kitties that many acro moms/dads don't always have alot of extra money available. Please I'm not against this issue at all - just trying to show another side to this too. With roughly 20 cats/year being diagnosed with acro - it's just something to think about.

With it getting time to start getting the calendar started again for 2012 - it's a great time to start talking about this! Thanks Libby for bringing this up!

5. Girlcat

Girlcat Member

i think the figure is more like $700 (2010)for that one test to be done for Canadians. i could be wrong but ill check with the people over the line who had the test done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.