Info Suggestions regarding caring for your cat & coronavirus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sienne and Gabby (GA), Mar 13, 2020.

1. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

During this time of uncertain health risks and especially since FDMB is a worldwide community, we want to make sure you and your kitties are safe. As you have heard us state repeatedly, safety is our priority.

Please do not panic in the face of a pandemic. Panic doesn’t help. Rational precaution and preparation is helpful. In light of thinking through what you and your furry family may need, please consider the following. You may want to stock up (and not stockpile):
    • Insulin, lancets, syringes, and strips
    • Food at various carb levels (low, medium, and high)
    • Corn syrup (Karo, etc.) or the equivalent
    • Treats
    • Litter
    • If your cat has prescription medication other than insulin, make sure you have refills or copies of the prescription and/or extra medication on hand
    • If you feed your kitty a raw diet, make sure you have access to your preferred proteins and you may want to stock up and freeze a back-up supply. Likewise, make sure you have enough of the supplements or pre-mix to make the food.
    • Ketostix
    • Subcutaneous fluids along with lines and harpoons
    • Miscellaneous supplies (e.g., cotton balls, pain ointment)
    Please consider that many of the above items can be delivered if you have to quarantine or are concerned about going out to shop. Amazon (mostly) provides a worldwide service. In the US, Chewy’s delivers most of the items above. EBay may be a resource for some items and ADW is also a resource for diabetic supplies. Many brick and mortar stores, both retail (e.g., Walmart) and grocery stores, also provide delivery services.

-- From your friendly, neighborhood moderators.

2. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Thank you all for taking such good care of us, it's much appreciated. :bighug:

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  4. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Thank You & Bump!

5. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

THank you Bump

6. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I just restocked my supplies today, town was INSANE and we don't even have a case in town yet!! I am glad I did it in advance :)

Thanks to the friendly neighbourhood moderators for putting together this thoughtful list :)

7. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

8. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder ! I just filled up everything today!
    In Quebec HUGE security measures are taken even if not many cases; everything is closed (school, universities, almost everything except groceries and pharmacies and very few others stores ) Very quiet, everybody is working from home.

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Just returned from a week in NY City where people were shopping like there was no tomorrow. Here in the Adirondacks many store shelves are bare, too. We are self-isolating for the next 2 weeks so that none of our friends will be exposed if we happen to come down with the virus. It is a weird time for everyone. Everything is closed. Gus got sick in the city and we had to find a close-by vet (our old vet in Brooklyn was too far away to get him there easily). Fortunately we found one in Queens. I took a chance and gave the ok to a shot of Convenia. Glad I did, since Gus would be extremely hard to pill (Rusty was, too, and we ultimately went to Convenia for him--no problems). Gus is fine now.

Everyone stay safe out there. Wash your hands (and paws?) :)

10. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

11. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

If wiping the vial with an alcohol prep pad is part of your routine, they are getting hard to find but appear to still be available through ADW.

(Jeepers, sure hope I don't get sick. My cats would not put up with any attempt at social distancing.)

12. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Bump..and adding meter batteries to the list...we all have a spare meter, but I've had to go out in a snow storm to get new batteries for both meters :rolleyes:

13. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Thanks Sienne!!! You know it’s funny when I first decided to stock pile up on some things I thought of what to get for Mimi first!
    My prescription ran out for syringes so I’m just waiting for my vet to ok a new script to ADW..

I have enough cat food I believe for another 2 weeks, with some on order for tomorrow (I have to order their raw since my store doesn’t stock the flavor she likes)

my question about subq fluids with lines and harpoons. I’ve never asked for these before- is it something I should for sure have (especially since she’s been DKA) and is it easy to administer?

14. Mimis mom

15. bambinaki

bambinaki Well-Known Member

Meter batteries! Thanks for that reminder.

16. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

And a backup battery for calipers.

17. Mimis mom

I usually turn my calipers off once I set the measurement, which I believe should extend that batter!

18. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

Found out there was 1 confirmed case in my town.
    Went to Wally yesterday. Limit 1 signs in the meat dept. Not hard to do since there isn't any meat.
    TP, disinfectant sprays & wipes, rubbing alcohol all behind customer service desk. You have to ask for the item. Again, limit 1 per customer.
    Paper towels and pet food have been restocked.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  19. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

20. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member