? Switched from Caninsulin to Prozinc/some questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jo&Misso, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Jo&Misso

Jo&Misso Member

Previous thread :
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...sulin-to-another-insulin.266214/#post-2987679

Hello :)
    Finally my vet agreed to switch Misso to Prozinc.
    In fact, Misso did quite well with Caninsulin. Nevertheless, I wanted to change the insuline due to short duration of Caninsulin (max 8 hours in Miso's case).

I started Prozinc with 2.5 UI two days ago. Her previous dosing was 3 UI with Caninsulin.
    My vet told me to give her only one shot per day for a reason why a duration of Prozinc can be too much long.
    But I'm giving two shots per day because her preshot is still high.

And now it seems me that Misso's BG and duration with Prozinc are not better than Caninsulin. Moreover, her clinical sign is coming back...
    It's because she is getting use to the new insuline ?
    If so, how long should I continue the same dose to see the real BG ?
    And how can I know when I have to adjust the dose ?

Could you give me some advice about that ?

***Here is Misso's spreadsheet.***

Thanks in advance :cat:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

With her numbers I probably would have kept the 3U instead of reducing to 2.5U, but no harm.

It will probably take her a week or two to get used to the ProZinc. When the dose is too low, duration is usually also shortened.

Give the 2.5U another 2-3 days, then consider increasing to 2.75U.

The clinical signs tend to come back when they spend too much time above renal threshold, which is usually somewhere in the 200-300 range.

Jo&Misso likes this.
  3. Jo&Misso

Jo&Misso Member

Thanks for reply Melissa:)
    Ok, I'll give the same dose until this weekend, then increase to 2.75U if her BG doesn't go down.

FrostD likes this.