Switching from Vetsulin, Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by FrostD, Jan 6, 2021.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've read through all the stickies (and probably will a few more times!).

Quick summary:
    - We had Mr Kitty fairly well regulated on Vetsulin for a little while. Towards the tail end of July started to go wonky, and haven't been able to solve it since.
    - Tried switching to ProZinc for almost two months, Mr Kitty didn't really seem to respond to it.
    - Back to Vetsulin, thinking previous vial had maybe gone bad in fridge. By accident discovered perhaps doses were too high, seeing better numbers at lower doses.
    - I do need to update SS and add 2021 tab, but the missing data is basically the same numbers as it's been for weeks

Of course there is still the option that I need to take the dose even higher or underlying health conditions, but the vet and I have agreed it's worth trying Lantus before doing more expensive/invasive testing.

Based on where we're at, I'm thinking SLGS is the better route? It can be difficult for me to get numerous midday/night tests in, and a baby due soon where Mr Kitty will be taken care of by someone else. He also seems to do better with slower adjustments, at least on Vetsulin.

Any thoughts as to starting dose?

Thank you!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Once you've got the latest data in the spreadsheet, we'll be able to help you with the dose suggestion. I also notice that the spreadsheets seems to be missing most of the PM cycle columns? One more thing, when I went to load the spreadsheet, it said it was in the owner's bin. Did you accidentally delete it? You should be able to undo that action or make a copy of it.

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, should be updated and fixed now (moved it to a different Drive and forgot to update link).

I keep most of the PM columns hidden for ease of use in getting to the Notes column; I do not often test past the +1/+2 PM recently.

4. Wendy&Neko

We determine how dosing is done based on how low the dose takes the cat. Those lows tend to be in the middle of the cycle. Can you get tests in the middle of the day, or even just before you go to bed? When a person switches insulins, we take into consideration the current insulin and how the cat is doing on it, but I don't know what to say without seeing anything other than preshots.

I noticed the note about the vet wanting you to use the Alphatrak - I'm glad you didn't bother with it. Our dosing methods are based on human meter values. It's the "blood sugar language" we are used to here.

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I see, makes sense. I had stopped doing mid-cycle tests because he wasn't dipping below 200 no matter what I did. So I've been operating kind of status quo until we determined next steps

I'm guessing it will take 2-3 weeks for the Lantus and new syringes to come in. What would be most beneficial? Getting whatever mid cycle tests I can until then? Or waiting more towards the week before? What about curves?

6. Wendy&Neko

Any mid cycle data you can get in the two weeks before you start Lantus will be helpful.

FrostD likes this.
  7. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi FrostD,

We switched to Lantus recently, and the question is always what dose to switch to. Having more info about how the current dose of caninsulin is working, will help with that.