Switching from vetsulin to prozinc: Part 11

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sounds good!

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds good!

3. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Oops, I always draw up a little more insulin than I need in case of air bubbles.
    I let out too much so I think the dose was more 1.7 than 1.8 units.:rolleyes:

4. Lisa and Smoky

I was trying to switch Smoky to a food that is better for his allergies and IBD so trying Nulo right now. I think I should have eased him into the new food slowly. He has much looser stools than before and his poo smells so bad that we have to open windows and light candles. It's enough to gag us and we have to leave the room.
    I may have to take him back to the vet again since he doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. I can't tell if he is having a flare up from the pancreatitis or his IBD or if it's something else. :nailbiting:

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hope it's just the food change! I usually do it by mixing new and old together in increments until we are all on new...just to help avoid tummy upset. :)

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Since I put Maury on YA, his poo's have the same power now! lol. They are getting a little better, so hoping it's just the food as well :bighug:

7. Kris & Teasel

I hope this settles soon, Lisa. It's not surprising that Smoky would react to a new food given his sensitive gut and allergies. Aside from weight does he seem a little better over all?

8. Lisa and Smoky

I wish I could say that I see an improvement in the IBD Kris but it seems to be getting worse. He just looks sick most of the time, there has to be a way to get him to feel better.

9. Kris & Teasel

:bighug::bighug:

10. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks for some much needed hugs:)

11. Lisa and Smoky

Wow! I can't believe I'll have to start a part 12 already. It's hard to believe that it's been 7 months since the diagnosis of FD. I stopped feeding the Nulo minced turkey and duck in gravy formula. It's at 9% carbs but is causing his IBD to flare up. I gave him some wellness core grain free turkey and duck pate and so far so good. No upset tummy or stinky poo.

12. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Tempus fugit :smuggrin:

13. Lisa and Smoky

I'll finally be able to get another curve done this Monday. I haven't done one for some time now. My vet suggested that I give him the regular dose of budesonide the night before I do the curve. The last time I did a curve I skipped the steroid the night before. He also seems to like the turkey from Purina Pro Plan Plus.

Djamila likes this.
  14. Lisa and Smoky

I have noticed that right after getting the budesonide Smoky gets tired and goes to sleep for an hour or so. He seems to feel crappy for a bit after getting the steroid.
    Is this normal? It's also time for me to check him for ketones. I try to do that once a week but since the move I haven't checked him so about 3 weeks now.

15. Kris & Teasel

I don't know about steroid effects but they're potent drugs so it's not surprising.

16. Lisa and Smoky

I forgot to update Smokys ss today.:oops:
    His BG was 180 for AM and 210 for PM.
    I'm thinking 1.8 unit dose for tonight.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  17. Kris & Teasel

That works. :)

18. Lisa and Smoky

I'm doing a curve on Monday so should I do the curve on the 1.8U dose? Would I need to raise the dose a little bit first, which one is better?

19. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I don't know of any reason why you would need to raise the dose first. Is there a reason I'm not thinking of?

20. Kris & Teasel

Do the curve on the dose you're giving that day I think. If it's 1.8 u, fine, if something a bit different, that's OK too. The curve is just to see the action profile of the dose you're giving that AM.

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  21. Lisa and Smoky

I was wondering about the dose because I'm not sure how long to keep him on a particular one. I've been using a sliding scale style of dosing instead of a steady dose for so many days.

22. Kris & Teasel

Your doses recently are quite close so I think you'll be fine going ahead with the curve at whatever dose you want to give that morning.

23. Lisa and Smoky

I posted a new thread, part 12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.