Switching from vetsulin to prozinc: Part 12

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I think I will give him the 0.5U dose tonight. I'm not able to stay up really late with him. I just want to make sure he will be safe. How can you tell when your kitty's pancreas are working a little bit on their own? I hope that doesn't sound stupid of me to ask.:rolleyes:

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Your kitty's pancreas is working a little bit on its own. :)

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Not stupid at all but I can't answer it because I'm quite sure Teasel has no pancreas anymore ... o_O;)

4. Djamila

All of our kitties are getting a little insulin from their pancreases. When you start to be able to lower the dose, that indicates that the pancreas is able to help better now than it was before. Whether that healing continues or not is a mystery...at least until the numbers are consistently low enough to no longer need insulin.

Exceptions to that would be a cat who has had his pancreas removed, or cancer, or other extreme things where the pancreas really has just stopped altogether. But for the most part, the pancreas is helping, just not enough.

Lisa and Smoky and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Djamila

Whoa! you got a lime green today! See, even Teasel has a pancreas! ;)

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

It was a cruel joke on a day when I had to leave for an appointment. I was frantically trying to make a plan to keep him going while I was out. :blackeye:

7. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky BG at 119 for PMPS so it's a NS for tonight. The problem is that he has to take budesonide at night which always raises his BG a bit. I'm thinking about trying a 11/13 or is it a 13/11 schedule? I'll have to go back and read the stickies on that one.
    I don't want to keep having to skip a dose at night. What to do?

8. Djamila

Did you only give 0.5u this morning?

9. Lisa and Smoky

How do I add another sheet to his SS?
    I'm not very tech savvy.:oops:

10. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him 0.5 units this morning. I'm a little puzzled about his low number tonight. I thought giving him less wld give me a shootable number tonight.

11. Djamila

Well well well....isn't that interesting? :)

12. Lisa and Smoky

I did notice that he is not having to eat as much to be full now as he was. He was eating up to 8 cans of FF daily not that long ago

13. Djamila

I thought giving him less would give you a shootable number, too. I think you're going to have to just monitor and adjust for awhile now. Today might just be a weird little blip, or it could indicate that he's not needing as much insulin.

How much is he eating now? How is his weight?

14. Djamila

On a tech note: I'm not sure what to say about the spreadsheet. If you duplicate the page, it brings all the data with it, so you'd have to clear it all out. I don't know why your page ran out of formatted lines. Maybe someone else can help out on that....?

15. Djamila

Oh, wait! You can use the "template" tab at the bottom of your page, select a bunch of new lines, click ctrl+c, go to your regular page, click on a cell where you want to insert the new lines, and click ctrl+v.....I think that will work.

16. Lisa and Smoky

OK thanks I'll try that out for the SS.
    He eats anywhere from 4 or 5 cans daily instead of 8 or 9 cans. Some days he eats a lot but the last week he has been eating less.

17. Djamila

If you want to try the 11/13 schedule, it doesn't matter which way you flip it, both work, but in your case, you would want to go 13 hours between the AM dose and the PM dose, and 11 hours between the PM dose and the AM dose. That gives him more time to rise in the evening before you need to shoot, and maybe get him up to a shootable number. You could also just keep at the 12/12 and see what happens tomorrow. He seems to be going every-other-day on the evening shots :confused:

18. Kris & Teasel

Eating less might be because of better BG control. If you want to try 13/11, you'd wait until +13 to give the PM dose. That gives more time for the BG to rise. The night cycle is then 11 hours long so you're dosing in the AM before the BG has risen to where it is on a 12/12 schedule. Make sense?

19. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Maury started doing the same thing when we started those Yellow PS numbers. I think he's finally not starving :). I'm going to request permission to edit your SS to help, if you want. :)

20. Yong & Maury GA

You should be set til end of the year now :).

I kicked myself off from editing now. If you need help again, I'll just request again :D

21. Djamila

@Yong , you're so awesome!!!! Nice work on the spreadsheet!

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  22. Yong & Maury GA

Thank you :). I always hate having to call Marje but since she's on vacation I wanted to help. I don't know if there is a proper protocol for helping :bookworm:

23. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Reading through everyone's week, and wow! Congrats on some good numbers with Smoky! Yay blue!
    I love seeing the advice given to other people! I'm reading through this and thinking maybe I should do a 11/13 on Frank. 13 between PM and AM and 11 from AM to PM. Hmmm. Another thing to think about!

24. Lisa and Smoky

Sorry everyone who answered my posts.
    I was out for a run and forgot to log off.
    A big thanks to Yong for fixing my techy glitches for me. The SS looks great now.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  25. Lisa and Smoky

Yep. Thanks Kris. How do I put in a +13 on the SS?

26. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I bet @Yong could help with that!

27. Yong & Maury GA

You don't have to change the SS for the 11/13 or 13/11 schedule. Just add a note when you start that schedule and add to signature :). If you would prefer to have on setup for 13/11, I might be able to whip you something up. Would put on separate SS and then could always merge it into usual SS without messing up original one :bookworm:

28. Lisa and Smoky

I'm really sure you could figure that one out.:smuggrin: I would probably just demolish the entire SS:facepalm:

29. Kris & Teasel

I had NO experience with spreadsheets before FDMB. I'm still finding out new things about this one.

30. Lisa and Smoky

I'm still learning too;) have a good night everyone

31. Lisa and Smoky

I'm not sure what's going on with Smoky. He acts really hungry but doesn't eat as much as he has been lately. I'm not sure if it's due to better BG numbers as Kris stated or if he's nauseous. I noticed that he has been hanging his head over the water bowl lately. Maybe I should give him the cerenia for a few days

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  32. Kris & Teasel

Won't hurt to try that, Lisa. His PSs have been great lately.

33. Lisa and Smoky

He has been drinking more water than usual. He just hangs out by the water bowl for hours and sips the water slowly.
    I thought maybe a flare up of the pancreatitis? How do I tell if it's from that or his IBD?

34. Djamila

I don't know enough about IBD or pancreatitis to help with that, I just wanted to say I'm sorry Smoky isn't feeling well today! And also, are you able to get a mid-cycle today?

35. Lisa and Smoky

I'm working today so can't get in a mid cycle test. My roommate is home and knows how to treat a hypo. She won't test his BG or give him shots though. She would just call me or take him to vet if needed.

36. Lisa and Smoky

The weird thing is that he was purring up a storm this morning and doesn't seem ill. The only sign out of the ordinary seems to be him drinking water so slowly. Oh wait, he has been spending a lot of time in a box of blankets in my closet. I heard that kitties hide like that when feeling ill.

37. Kris & Teasel

They can also purr more when when they don't feel well. Given his history, I'd assume it's a flare of something and get some helping meds on board soon.

38. Lisa and Smoky

I still have some of the bupe I can give him plus try the cerenia.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  39. Yong & Maury GA

Healing vines for Smoky [​IMG]:cat:

40. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I hope he feels better soon!

41. Lisa and Smoky

April 22, Smoky PMPS at 109! I'm thinking maybe I shld try the 11/13 dosing schedule. I could kick myself for not giving him a reduced dose in am.:banghead: He might have had a shootable BG for tonight. I gave him some bupe about 5:45 pm eastern time, so a little over 2 hours ago. I just fed him so am wondering if I shld retest in an hour and see if has a high enough BG to shoot. Or just call it as a no shot for tonight.

42. Yong & Maury GA

You could have stalled without feeding to see if he was rising on his own ;)

43. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe just give 0.5U tomorrow morning if he's around the same 170's AMPS. Really curious how he's doing during the day :D

44. Lisa and Smoky

He didn't eat much today so he was really hungry. I figured since I am off work Sundays and Monday's I cld get in some extra tests. I gave him some bupe already.
    I'll give him some cerenia when I give him the budesonide tonight

45. Lisa and Smoky

I thought 0.5 or 1 unit for am depending on his BG of course. The bupe is making him sleepy so he is curled up in his bed right now.

Attached Files:

46. Kris & Teasel

Are you going to test again and decide on a dose for tonight?

47. Lisa and Smoky

No I just skipped his shot again for tonight. I'll start fresh again tomorrow.
    Sorry Kris, I forgot to update his SS

48. Djamila

I don't know why, but I've never had any luck with the stalling thing. It definitely seems like that AM dose needs to be lower right now. Smoky's giving you some pretty exciting numbers these days! Fingers crossed he keeps it up!

49. Lisa and Smoky

The stalling technique doesn't work well with Smoky either. He has only gone up maybe 20 points in an hour.

50. Lisa and Smoky

March 23, Smoky BG at 161 for am.
    I think I should give a reduced dose so maybe 1 unit. I can grab a few tests today to see where that takes him

51. Yong & Maury GA

Going to try 0.5U this morning? ...trying to post this for a few minutes. Forum needs more :coffee::coffee::coffee:

52. Djamila

Have you shot already? If not, I think my vote is for .5, or .75 if you want to split the difference. You've had two days where he got .5 and had good cycles. It's kind of a gamble if that is enough or not, but you know...I lean on the conservative side of dosing. As long as you're home to monitor and steer, I think whatever you give/gave will be fine.

53. Lisa and Smoky

My thread is getting a little long, it's hard to believe I'll be up to Part 13 already.;)
    It has been just over 6 and a half months since his diagnosis of FD. I can't believe that much time has gone by already.
    It's Sunday morning, of course we need more coffee.:D

54. Kris & Teasel

Go with your gut.

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  55. Lisa and Smoky

I was just going down to draw up a dose for him. He is probably still under the effects of the steroid this morning. I just wasn't sure which dose to give.

56. Lisa and Smoky

I was looking at his SS and don't really have much mid day data for lower doses so going to stick with 0.5 units and see where he goes with that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.