? Switching from vetsulin to prozinc- Part 2

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glad he's doing so much better! The link works great.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I LOVE that blue last night, Lisa! There might be some rubber-like activity today but you're definitely getting results. Is Smoky eating better, etc.?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Yep. A little bouncing around but the blue and yellows are nice.

5. Lisa and Smoky

I was worried about higher numbers and now I'm worried about his numbers being too low.o_O He was 352 in am today. The Cerenia seems to be helping with the nausea. He has been eating a lot lately but don't know how much nutrition he is actually getting. I'm glad to see the lower numbers, just not used to them.:)

6. Kris & Teasel

Seeing the nice blue is scary but in a good way. You'll get used to it! Meanwhile I think the 3.5 u is a good dose. Let's see what his PMPS is.

Eating a lot is great news, given what Smoky has been through. He'll get more nutrition from his food when his numbers are down more consistently.

7. Kris & Teasel

I like that yellow PMPS, Lisa!

8. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky PMPS was 194 so gave him a reduced dose of 1.5 units. Thank you @Kris & Teasel for all your help earlier.
    Smoky was 393 at +2 so his BG went up a bit. I'll check him again at +4 to see if he goes up more or starts dropping.

9. Kris & Teasel

Now you have some data for next time. :)

10. Lisa and Smoky

OK so I thought insulin was supposed to bring BG down not up. I'm learning that regulated means that the cat goes up and down, I think?:rolleyes:

11. Kris & Teasel

It depends. If the dose is too low (likely the case here but it was done to keep him safe) the BG will rise. Sometimes there'll be a food spike after dosing, often around +2. Your SS tells me that Smoky doesn't tend to spike at +2 so it's more likely from the low "token" dose you gave him.

Regulated means that a kitty's AM/PMPSs will be in the mid 200s and the nadir in the low 100s or high double digits consistently over time when a particular dose is given. In reality, many kitties need the dose tweaked slightly over time to keep them in those numbers.

12. Lisa and Smoky

I'm getting ready to test him for a +4 soon.
    I'm curious if his BG will continue to go up and cause higher numbers foe AMPS

13. Kris & Teasel

The lower dose might well put him higher at AMPS. As you get more experience dosing at lower PSs, your no shot number will probably come down and you'll be able to try larger doses at low-ish numbers with more confidence.

14. Lisa and Smoky

331 at +4 after pm shot

15. Lisa and Smoky

AMPS 314, back to the drawing board and the 3.5 unit dose I think. I hope this doesn't set him back too much. I guess the mini curve will have to wait.o_O

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Reason for edit: New info
  16. Kris & Teasel

This is to be expected, Lisa. You had to lower the dose on last night's low-ish PS because you have no data to tell you whether you can shoot a larger dose at this number. That's why we call it a token dose, meant to get a little insulin into him even knowing it's not enough. A no shot might have set him back further. Next time this happens, you can try the stall for 20 minutes and retest technique until he gets over 200 and then shoot a dose that's only slightly reduced.

These dicey situations are the ones that teach you a lot about dosing and your kitty's responses. Once numbers begin to come down dosing becomes an art as well as a science. Yes, you can get it wrong sometimes but if you have data from previous experiences, know your kitty's general trends and err on the side of caution you can do it more confidently.

I agree that your mini curve should wait.

17. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 143 at +6! That is in the blues.:) it is his lowest number yet.

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

He (and you) are doing well. He does seem to take time to "settle in" to a dose and reward your patience with some nice numbers.

19. Kris & Teasel

That's wonderful! He sure got over the too low dose from last night quickly. :)

20. Lisa and Smoky

I'm trying to figure out how to dose. I heard you base it on his nadir, is that accurate? I can't get too many mid day tests in during the work week so how do I know what to give him?

21. Kris & Teasel

With ProZinc, dosing decisions are made on the basis of both PSs and the nadir. However, if you have a bouncy cat, the PSs are often inflated from bouncing so more weight should be given to the nadir. Smoky doesn't seem to be particularly bouncy and that's a good thing.

Deciding on doses can be a bit of a mystery until you have lots of SS data and more FD miles under your belt - ie., experience. You can always post here to ask for input until you feel more confident in your own decisions. If you can't test mid day then a before bed test at +4, say, gives good info about how a given dose is working.

Here are some of the questions you'll learn to ask yourself:
    1. My PSs are high. I wonder how low he went on this dose? (evening +4 might give a hint but high PS can mean dose is too low)
    2. My PSs are really nice. Should I keep this dose? (check +4 in evening or sacrifice a little sleep to set your alarm for a +6 test)
    3. How did he react in the past when I gave this dose at this BG?
    4. What dose did I give in the past at this BG that turned out to be OK?
    5. Am I in the correct dosing range for now? (look at SS trends and patterns)
    There are lots of others but this gives you an idea of the thought processes involved.

22. Lisa and Smoky

My before bed test would be more of a +3 but I take meds to help me sleep. I can't get up in the middle of the night. How can you tell if a cat is bouncy?

23. Kris & Teasel

Whatever evening tests you can get are good data. A bouncy cat might go from a yellow AMPS to a low blue nadir then up to a red or black PMPS. That's an example.

24. Lisa and Smoky

Oh that makes total sense to me now. How is Teasel doing lately?

25. Kris & Teasel

Teasel is Teasel - keeps me on my toes and guessing because he never makes it simple! Nice AMPS and +6 today but his PMPS could be anything and the same is true for tomorrow's numbers. :confused:

26. Lisa and Smoky

I was thinking the same about Smoky, have to check him for PMPS in 30 minutes. I'm inspired by all the stories I've read on here about cats going into remission after a few months time. I don't know if smoky will get there, he has various other health issues.:facepalm:

27. Kris & Teasel

All I'm hoping for with Teasel is some degree of regulation. He's one tough customer and I've been labouring at this since the end of January 2016.

28. Lisa and Smoky

Wow! so you are still trying to get Teasel regulated? I just did Smokys PMPS and it actually went down a little from +6 reading. 143,down to 137. guessing I shld stall before feeding and test again?

29. Kris & Teasel

Yes, stall for 20 minutes and retest. No food. If needed repeat the stall. If after 1 hour he's still under 200 you'd be safest giving a token dose again. Then thought needs to be given to lowering the AM dose in the hope of getting shootable AM and PMPS.

BTW, don't assume that Teasel's case is typical. He's an outlier for sure - breaks all the rules, is almost totally unpredictable, bounces like a rubber ball, and on and on ... You're already getting a better response to ProZinc from Smoky and more easily than was ever the case with Teasel. I'm used to it now and I don't let it get me down. :)

StephG likes this.
  30. Lisa and Smoky

I'm not even sure what a typical case looks like. I'm still pretty new at the sugar dance.

31. Lisa and Smoky

+40 minutes after pmps 178

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Reason for edit: New info
  32. Kris & Teasel

Give it another 20 minutes, Lisa, and I think you'll be at a number where you can give more than just a token dose. He'll be close to an hour late for his PM dose but that's not a problem with ProZinc. You'll still be able to dose at your normal AM time.

I'll watch for your next test result.

33. Lisa and Smoky

Went down a little, 173 now.
    I was thinking about giving him two units tonight

34. Kris & Teasel

I think that's a good choice for this number. It'll give you more data to use in future. Now you know two techniques for dealing with a low PS - 1. stall and retest or 2. token dose. It'll be interesting to see tomorrow's AMPS.

35. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him two units. I don't have to work tomorrow so can get in a +4 before bed.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  36. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky AMPS 314
    +6 143
    PMPS 137
    +3 257

37. Kris & Teasel

The higher BG is because of the lowered PM dose. What I see, Lisa, is that Smoky reacts very consistently to dose changes: when you gave the token PM dose of 1.5 u, he had a 393 and a 331 in the evening. Last night a token 2 u gave you a 257. He's higher this AM because of a reduced dose last night. This is a really good thing! As you get more data to verify this you'll be able to predict the effect of a dose pretty well. :)

38. Lisa and Smoky

He was 351 for AMPS and I gave him the 3.5 units. I slept 4 hours last night so need to try and grab a few more hours sleep. I plan on testing him at +6 just to see how he is doing.

39. Kris & Teasel

Good dose this AM. Data today will (hopefully) validate what I said about him being consistent in his responses. :)

40. Lisa and Smoky

I wish I cld do a curve today but just too tuckered out for that. I'll have to settle for a few spot checks.:D

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Things are looking good, Lisa. It's great that Kris is helping you figure out your doses and your choices are working really well. Hope it feels good that you are getting the hang of the dance steps in this sugar dance, and that his numbers are better.

42. Lisa and Smoky

Trying not to panic...:nailbiting: just took smokys BG at +6.5 and it was 82. I waited about a minute and checked again and it was 74!
    Isn't that a rather big drop from am. (351). I just gave him his lunch now. Should I be worried?

43. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it is a big drop but he now has food on board and you're getting past ProZinc's usual peak action time period. I suggest monitoring at +8 and +10 or more often if you wish. His PMPS will be important in determining his next dose. The +6.5 BG alone tells me that 3.5 u is now too high. We need the PMPS to make a decision on the next dose.

He's doing really well on ProZinc! :)

44. Lisa and Smoky

I shudder when I think what would have happened if I followed my old vets advice to bump him from 3.25 units right to 4.
    His current vet said to try between 3.25 and 3.5 so at least she is a little more cautious

45. Lisa and Smoky

Does this mean he needs less insulin right now than he did if the 3.5 appears to have been too much?

46. Kris & Teasel

Yes, his good dose is likely lower now that he's responding well to the ProZinc. You switched him about 3 weeks ago and he'd been high for quite a while from his UTI, etc. Staying high can make them less responsive to insulin because the excessive BG affects the ability of the cells to behave normally. It can be called glucose toxicity. His UTI has been dealt with and switching insulins has, over time, remedied the problem so he responds well to the ProZinc now.

With FD, it's rare to find THE dose right away and that stays as the best dose going forward. Kitties who have spent lots of time in high numbers often need higher doses to get them moving down. Their cells are sluggish in their response to insulin. As numbers come down and stay down doses often have to be reduced because the cells become more sensitive to insulin and it takes less to keep BG under control.

That's a simple (perhaps too simple) explanation of why doses often need to be lowered.

47. Lisa and Smoky

No it's not, it's easier for me to understand it the way you put it.
    He just finished his lunch so I'll wait at least two hours and check him again

48. Kris & Teasel

Any BG updates, Lisa?

49. Lisa and Smoky

Just took one at 9.5 and it was 91. I'm getting a little worried. He was very hungry and is eating his dinner now

50. Lisa and Smoky

Should I get him some high carb food with gravy? He ate the rest of it earlier as a snack before lunch. I might have to skip his shot tonight if his numbers don't go up a little bit by PMPS. I have to work tomorrow and not sure at this point if I can run home at lunchtime and check him.

51. Kris & Teasel

You still have 2.5 hours until his PMPS. That number will be the guide for dosing him. I'll have to be away from my computer then. Are you comfortable figuring out a token dose based on the experience of the last two evenings?

52. Kris & Teasel

You gave him 2 u on 137 yesterday. You could try 1 u if he gets close to that or opt for no dose and pick up the slack tomorrow. Your choices have to be conservative because you can't test at lunch time tomorrow. Safety is the number 1 priority. I don't think you'll need high carb food.

53. Lisa and Smoky

I think I'll be alright. At what number would I not give a shot though?

54. Lisa and Smoky

OK thanks Kris, I'll keep an eye on his numbers and go from there.

55. Kris & Teasel

For this situation (new data at good BGs, can't test in the night) how about anything below 137? I say that because you have data for 137 and a 2 u dose. Ultimately it's whatever you're comfortable with.

56. Lisa and Smoky

OK thank you. He might surprise me and have higher numbers later on. You never know with these FD kitties.:smuggrin:

57. Lisa and Smoky

Hi Kris,
    I know you are away from your computer at this time. I just wanted to give an update for smoky. He was 121 for PMPS, I can't monitor him tomorrow if I give pm shot and he does a repeat of today. I feel more comfortable skipping his shot tonight and wait and see what dose he may need in the morning.

58. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not Kris. But this sounds like a good plan. Tomorrow, I would probably still reduce a little in hopes of getting two shootable pre shots per cycle. Maybe try a skinny 3.5 or 3.25?

59. Lisa and Smoky

You read my mind, I was thinking of giving him 3.25 units depending on what his AMPS is in the morning.

60. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky at 396 for AMPS, no shot for pm last night. PMPS was at 121. Giving smaller dose for am today, either 3 or 3.25?

61. Lisa and Smoky

I'm not able to watch him during the day today so I thought I would play it safe and give him 3 units for am

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  62. Kris & Teasel

Good choice, Lisa! You need him to be safe and you need peace of mind while you're at work. He's giving you a run for your money but it's all good. :)

63. Lisa and Smoky

OK so AMPS was 396 which I guess is not bad considering he had no insulin last night. PMPS was 284, a high yellow but still a yellow. I'm thinking it would be safe to give him 3.25 again since the 3 units didn't drop him down too low. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

64. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That sounds good to me.

65. Kris & Teasel

Just getting home now. I agree with Sue.

66. Lisa and Smoky

I should be able to get in a before bed test today. I'll go with the 3.25 then.

67. Lisa and Smoky

So much for the before bed test. That little stinker got up on the countertop and knocked the can of cat food onto the floor. The lid popped off and he was sitting there eating the food off the floor. The funny thing is that he is not really hungry. I have never seen him up on the kitchen counter and he usually just sits and waits for his food.

68. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He migjht have just been feeling peckish....or justvreally likes that flavor and couldn't wait!

69. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky AMPS was 151, a nice blue number. Here we go again, got up late so can't stall this morning. I gave him 3.25 last night so I'm trying to figure out a safe dose for am. I'm thinking 2 might be OK or too much maybe?

70. Lisa and Smoky

I looked over smokys SS pattern, looks like he might be safe with 1.5 units for am. I don't want to skip shot and not have high enough numbers to shoot for pm.

71. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think 1.5 would be fine. Is that what you ended up with?

72. Kris & Teasel

Just getting here. Your boy is doing really well. Yes, try the 1.5 u as you did for a token dose a few nights ago. You're getting to be a pro at making dosing decisions.

Little stinker is up on the counter because he's feeling better and has a streak of mischief in him! :D

73. Lisa and Smoky

I did give him the 1.5 plus an extra can of 3 oz food to graze on.

74. Lisa and Smoky

He has been hanging out with me more often instead of hiding or laying in his bed all the time.

75. Lisa and Smoky

I thought I would test Smoky on relion and AT2 using the same drop of blood. I don't normally compare readings between the two, just was curious about the gap in between them. I was surprised by the numbers though:
    PMPS: 344- Relion
    377- AT2
    I am still making dosing decisions by my relion meter. I thought about backtracking a little and going back to the 3 unit dose. Anyone have any advice for me?

76. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Those 3.25 seems to work fine with the pinks; maybe 3 for the yellows?

77. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him 3 units for pm.
    I never thought about possible doses according to colors on SS. That's a good idea:bighug:

78. Kris & Teasel

Hi Lisa,

I was just out at a little Christmas get-together. I'm glad Sue was around to give you her input. Your dose of 1.5 u kept him safe today. That's why he's pink tonight.

79. Lisa and Smoky

Hope you had a great time out Kris.
    I heard that human meters read a great deal lower than pet meters. I thought there would be a huge difference between the Relion and AT2 in BG numbers.

80. Kris & Teasel

The difference between the two is variable. Some people say it's less at low numbers and more at higher numbers. Your best bet is to stick with the ReliOn and use the AT2 for curves when the vet wants them. Are you still using the vet who insists on the AT meter?

81. Lisa and Smoky

By the way, is there a spreadsheet available for the AT2 meter?

82. Kris & Teasel

Yes there's a version with the label "Meter Calibrated for Feline Blood" in a red band across the top. Teasel's is that version.

83. Lisa and Smoky

I am still at the vet for cat clinic right now but have talked to a few other vets near me. The vets I spoke to are also big on using the AT2 meter for curves.

84. Kris & Teasel

Most vets are. Oh well, you have an AT meter and can oblige them. The rest of the time you can use your ReliOn.

85. Lisa and Smoky

I actually like the AT2 better but could not afford the strips all the time.

86. Kris & Teasel

Totally agree. That's why I use Freestyle Lite strips in my AT2 meter. They're made by the same manufacturer as the AT strips and are absolutely identical in every respect except that the AT strips undergo special batch testing to ensure that they give a correct reading when used in the AT meter set at a certain cat code. The FS strips read quite close to the same number as the AT strips and are about half the price, maybe less.

87. Lisa and Smoky

My friend who bought me the starter kit for the AT2 also gave me a box of 50 FS lite test strips. It's good to know they cost less although still more than Relion strips are. It's past my bedtime so I will have to wait and see how my boy is doing in the morning.

88. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky: AMPS: 206.
    I've noticed that Smoky is higher numbers in am or pm but not both. Is that normal for FD kitties and can you give different doses am and pm due to that? I thought I would give him 2.25 for am?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
  89. Kris & Teasel

Yes, this difference in AM and PM numbers can happen. Many people end up using "sliding scale" dosing where you give a different dose based on the BG. That's what Sue was referring to yesterday when she suggested 3.25 u for the pinks and 3 u for the yellows. You have to have enough data accumulated to decide on what to give because it's based on past experiences with a certain dose and what it did to BG. You also need a kitty who responds fairly consistently. I think Smoky is one of those kitties. If you decide you want to try this you can post here for advice as you've been doing. I don't do this with Teasel because he's too unpredictable.

I see you gave 2.25 u this AM. He'll be safe on that dose and you'll have more data to help you decide about sliding scale dosing.

90. Lisa and Smoky

I would rather give him the same dose each time instead of having to figure out what dose each time. I want him to be safe though when I can't be there to watch him. it's a catch 22 situation. Plus, I would think most vets would flip out over me changing his dose all the time.
    How often should a cat be taken in to have bloodwork done? My current vet wants to do that every few months which could get expensive for me.

91. Kris & Teasel

You have to do what you're comfortable with. Having said that, you've already done some dose changing in response to Smoky's BG when you had to lower it because of a surprise BG number. He's responding well to ProZinc and I think the effective dose will get lower over time. Just keep filling in your SS and posting here for an opinion. :)

As for how often to get blood work done, I think it depends on how Smoky is doing. My vet has recommended every 6 months for Teasel. Maybe once after 3 months for Smoky because he had a hard time earlier on and then after 6 months if all goes well? Could your budget handle that?

92. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Re the nighttime/daytime differences - some cats just run lower one cycle than the other. It could be the difference in food/activity/stress - who knows? But it's pretty common. If you just think of it as lowering the dose when the preshot test is lower than normal, your vet might be on board?

93. Lisa and Smoky

I think my budget can handle twice a year for bloodwork.:)

94. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 206 AMPS, gave 2.25 units
    PMPS was 215 and gave him 2.5 units
    I hope that is not too much of a dose increase at one time. On the other hand, I think it's good that his am and pm BG were so close to each other.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  95. Kris & Teasel

Wow! Looking great, Lisa! You're right, similar AM and PM PSs are what we like to see.

96. Lisa and Smoky

BTW, what is the shelf life for prozinc?
    Smoky started his on Nov 23 so it's been about three weeks. I've used about 60% of the vial so far. It's $120 a bottle here in PA.

97. Kris & Teasel

If it's stored and handled properly most people find they can use the whole vial. How long that takes depends on your kitty's dose size of course. I get about 2 months out of a vial but never use it to the last drop. I read a hint on here somewhere a long time ago that you should reserve the last little bit in a vial in case you accidentally drop and break the new vial. This gives you a small emergency supply to have on hand until you can replace the broken vial. I thought that was a good idea so I've been doing that.

Another thing I do as a safeguard is to only start a new vial on a day when I can monitor just in case it's a bit more potent than the old one. So far, I haven't seen any drastic differences but better safe than sorry.

98. Lisa and Smoky

I did the same thing with Smoky, started him on insulin on a Monday when I was home. I know vetsulin says 6 weeks usage out of a vial. I think that's a great idea about saving the last of the old bottle. I kept the vetsulin in fridge when I got the prozinc. I probably shld throw out that vial now.;)

99. Kris & Teasel

Looks like the 2.5 u last night was a good choice. Are you giving 2.5 u again this AM? Can you do a lunchtime test to see how low he goes? Being able to get lower BGs on a lower dose is a really good sign. The ProZinc certainly agrees with him. :)

100. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him a dose halfway between 2.5 and 2.75 units in am. I have meetings today so can't go home for lunch. I can run home tomorrow for lunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.