Switching from Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by FrostD, Aug 19, 2020.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We've been having a disaster of a month after some nice initial results on Vetsulin. I know there's several potential causes for the numbers we're seeing, but I had planned to switch insulin anyway eventually. We're also going to send in urine sample to check for infection.

What would you guys recommend the starting dose be? The vet said 1U, but he's not been the best at this so far.

I am planning to switch when I have at least a week where I'm available to do the necessary mid-cycle testing (you can see it's been a struggle).

Thanks!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

It looks like as you increased his dose of Vetsulin, he just got worse and worse (higher and higher) BG numbers.

So maybe the 1U dose would be ok for Mr. Kitty.

FrostD likes this.
  3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's been driving me a little nuts...not sure if insulin went bad (although visually it's fine, nor expired), infection, kidney issues, resistance, or "just one of those things".

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

When you do switch insulins, put a big bold row across the SS so it stands out really well and we will see it when we open the SS. Insert a row between the dates.

Also, be sure to change the insulin used at the very top, but keep the fact that you used Vetsulin first. Some kind of dates to indicate when your cat was on Vetsulin and then when you switched to another insulin, the Prozinc, will be very helpful to see.