? Switching insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah & Sammie, Apr 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

Sammie has been on Lantus since her diagnosis in September of 2017. I buy it through Mark’s Marine and they don’t have any. The options are to pay US prices, switch to Basaglar, or start using PZI. Does anyone have any strong opinions on this? She has never been particularly well regulated, and the vet said it’s unlikely she will go into remission at this point.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I think if you've been using Lantus and are happy with it, switching to basaglar is probably your best option. People here who have tried it say it works very very similarly to lantus, so it wouldn't be as tricky as learning how to use an entirely new insulin with different action, like PZI. Unless for some reason you suspect that the insulin switch might have other benefits (I don't know; PZI/ProZinc users might have an opinion here as to whether it might be helpful for Sammie's particular situation).

Good luck, whatever you decide!

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Have you looked on the Supply Closet to buy Lantus from someone there?

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Someone posted a discount coupon Walgreens that gets you a Lantus pen for about $60. Did you post on the Lantus forum?

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

it’s the single care card. Check out this thread:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-and-need-some-help.228157/#post-2555278

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

@Chris & China (GA) alerted folks to the problems that Marks Marine Pharmacy was having with getting the full shipments they had requested. They are offering the Basaglar insulin as an alternative. Basaglar is a bio-similar insulin, so you will probably see the same general results with Basaglar as you do with Lantus.

More info in this thread http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/canadian-pharmacy.228336/#post-2557058

Prozinc is another option for your cat. This is one of the in-and-out insulins, usually lasting 10-12 hours in a cat, sometimes up to 14 hours. Some cats do well on Prozinc.

If you are thinking about Prozinc, you might want to go over to the Prozinc ISG (Insulin Support Group) and read through the "Sticky" or pinned posts at the top of the forum.
    Prozinc / PZI forum

7. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

8. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

I did see some, but the prices were too high.

9. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

That’s actually my post! I’m considering switching to the Basaglar over the Prozinc. I have about 3 months left of Lantus, but I need to replenish now since I can’t have it shipped over the hot summer months.

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I heard from Jordan (the pharmacy manager) today....Marks has plenty of Lantus now!!

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

Thanks for the heads up! I will email them now.

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.