? Switching insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SashaV, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I shoot at 10 and 22, witch is in an hour. But today we are going of caninsulin to prozinc. So do I shoot now at 10 with caninsulin?
    Or wait?
    Problem is I won't shoot with new insulin at 22 cause I won't be awake to see if something happens.

So shoot caninsulin 10-22 today, start on prozinc tomorrow? Or just 10, no shots at 22 and prozinc tomorrow morning?
    I'm confused o_O:woot:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If you want to swap to the new insulin Prozinc tomorrow morning, which sounds like a good idea, shoot your normal amounts of caninsulin today at 10 and 22 hours. Then start the prozinc tomorrow morning.
    Do you have the dose sorted out for the new insulin?

Do you have a spreadsheet?
    With Prozinc (or Any insulin really) I would get a before bed test in every night to make sure your kitty is not going to drop too low overnight. If the before bed test is lower than the preshot it can mean that the cycle is going to be an active one and it might be worth while to test again to see your kitty is safe.

jt and trouble (GA) and SashaV like this.
  3. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

My spreadsheet is in my old thread. For two types of insulin.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

5. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I'll start a new one with prozinc, and put it in my signature.

We started on caninsulin, didn't work at all. Then switched to levemir. Numbers were going down but then she got sick. Nausea, wouldn't eat, vomiting and generally looking bad. Agreed with my vet that levemir was the thing that got her bad so we switched back to caninsulin. And no nausea or vomiting. Except from today actually. Woke up at 5 and she was vomiting but was eating and happy. So strange. Her BG was 15,4mmol so I didn't take it before I shot 10 minutes ago.

Caninsulin don't work enough. Levemir makes her sick. Now we try prozinc. And hope she keeps eating.

Thankfully I have insurance on her, so I only pay 20% of the whole amount. But I'm a bit sad that my fridge holds 7 vials of caninsulin and 2 levemir pens and no one to use them. :banghead:

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ok I understand.
    But I’m very surprised to hear that about levemir as it is an excellent insulin for cats. I used it and loved it.
    I Hope the Prozinc works

7. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I know! It's so strange. I finally thought we found the best thing and it would work out.
    Have you seen the spreadsheets? What do you think?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

For some reason neither of the SS have any colour in them. I am going to tag @Marje and Gracie as she may be able to fix that for you.
    Also I see you are not testing in the pm cycle at all. It is just as important as the am cycle and cats often drop lower at night. I would get into the habit of getting a before bed test every night. If the before bed test is lower than the preshot, I would get another later test in to ensure that Mauer doesn’t drop lower.

9. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I test preshot morning and evening and in between. On caninsulin.
    On levemir I didn't

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Please send me a private message so I can fix the SS and get it in your signature block. You must enter the World values in the World SS in decimal form such as 20.5 instead of 20,5. That’s why none of the formatting is working.

To send me a PM, click on “ Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation”.

ThanK you!

11. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Is it necessary? We start on prozinc today so I was planning on a new SS. I'll fix the mistake in the new one :D

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You don’t need a new SS. We keep the same one as the data is all important.

So, yes, please contact me via PM.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.