Switching to Prozinc from Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Amy and Socks, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

Hi,

I am considering switching to Prozinc at the end of the month, since it seems like everywhere I look people are talking about how much "gentler" and more highly recommended Prozinc is than Vetsulin. From reading all the stickies and the tons of posts about other cats, I have gathered that Prozinc is very similar to Vetsulin in that they are both in and out insulins, and if you're off on the injection time a little (30 minutes or so), it's not a big deal like with the depot insulins. I would just like to confirm that this is true?

Also, I won't be switching for a few weeks (when I'll be off work and able to monitor and test more during the transition), but in general should the dose of Prozinc be similar to the dose of Vetsulin at the time of the switch or is switching like starting over and the units from the previous insulin don't factor in? Again, I won't be switching for a few weeks, so I know things can change a lot between now and then, and I'm just asking this in a general sense, not asking for a specific dose. Just wondering if they compare at all or if it's a whole new ballgame.

I just want to make sure I understand this insulin before making a switch. My vet has only used Vetsulin and doesn't have any experience with Prozinc, so this will be new for both of us.

And if you plan on going to look at my spreadsheet now, please note that I already know I should and should not have done several things. This is a huge learning process, and for me, the past couple weeks more than the other months combined.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

This is indeed a huge learning process and it never completely stops. And FWIW, I have no idea what you think you should or should not have done on the spreadsheet. ;)

ProZinc is an In & Out insulin like Vetsulin and yes you do have the flexibility to be up to an hour early or late with shots provided your pre-shot is high enough to shoot.

When switching insulins, we definitely take prior history into consideration so you aren't going to be starting all over again. You'd generally give the same dose as your current dose of Vetsulin to start.

The big difference is that ProZinc is longer lasting and doesn't push BG down as sharply or quickly. Vetsulin often peters out between 8 and 10 hours while ProZinc will last at least 10, usually 12 and sometimes up to 14 hours for some cats. Vetsulin also starts working almost immediately and nadir can occur as early as +3 post shot whereas ProZinc won't onset until about +2 and nadir generally occurs between +4 and +7 post shot.

Definitely a good idea to be make the switch when you are able to monitor closely for few cycles to see how Socks is responding.

3. Amy and Socks

Amy and Socks Member

Thanks for the kind and helpful reply! :) From the digging around I did here, I already thought all the things you mentioned were correct, but I wanted confirmation to be sure. I think I'll go ahead and order the Prozinc to make sure it's here in time. Thanks again!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.