Tabby 2/26 - Prozinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alice and Tabby, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

amps 301 3.4u

We seem to be making progress. Slow but progress. He is using about the same amount of insulin as he did on Idexx. I have started a new scale with different BG ranges for Prozinc. I wanted a fresh start as we weren't doing very well on Idexx anyway. Have not been able to get Tabby regulated in 5 years. I hope I will be able to do that on Prozinc. He's still very hungry on Prozinc. He gets a can of Friskies am and another can pm. That's more than a lot of cats eat. I leave his wet food out all the time but he's been sucking it down and starving by his next feeding. I hope this will even out after his body adjusts to the new insulin. He's not as perky, seems to just want to sleep. It has been bad weather here. If the sun ever comes out again and I don't see him sunning himself on my kitchen table than I will be worried. We will see what his pmps brings. I so wish I could get a +6. This is the lower end of my range for 3.4u.

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Not regulated in 5 years?!

Hopefully we can help with that. :smile:

Keep at it and keep us updated. As you know it's going to take some to see how things play out.

But no matter what, I want more for you guys than "not regulated."

Getting those mid-cycle numbers will really help even if it just on the weekends.

3. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Tabby has been all over the place with his numbers. The same dose given on the same number under the same circumstances will give us different results. He is a different cat. I have used a few diferent protocols but still he's all over the place. I finally had to let go and just dose him by the scale I had. Which at some points is too much and other days not enough. I hope Prozinc will help with that. I will get some spot checks this weekend. Even if I get a good pmps number I don't know what I will dose on that yet. I am working as I go. We will see what it brings.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Alice,
    I know you are doing the absolute best you can for your kitty. :YMHUG:

5. Terry and Puttz

Terry and Puttz Member

Hi Alice...We are all rootin' for you and Tabby! I, too am having my ups and downs with Puttz on his new insulin, but I have to do the best I can for him! Gator has excellent advice, and as he said, try to get those mid cycle numbers so you can see what is going on in between shots...There are a couple of great posters helping us out, so stay with us and I am keeping my toes crossed for all of us...Hugs

6. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Thanks Terry. I know Gator is helping but I am a very sensitive person. I spent hours everyday on this sight for years. And was helped by some of the best but still my little chubby Tabby has numbers everywhere. I have busted my hump trying to get him regulated. I figure I am doing my best. We do what we can do. And treat the whole cat not just his numbers.( Something we used to say in the old days).

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Ooooooh, what a nice PS this morning!!! Next time maybe check 10 minutes early & you'll get a yellow #, LOL! :lol: Paws crossed the good progress continues!

8. Gator & H (GA)

Alice,
    I'm sorry, I was trying to be supportive and maybe I did not express it perfectly. I'd really love to see you guys get regulated at least, I really do want that for you guys.

9. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

No you expressed it fine. I am just sensitive.LOL I feel like I have failed Tabby. I love furries so much and I usually do so well at everything I set out to do. But this one darn thing I just can't do for him. You look into those eyes with all that uncondional love and I feel like a failure. Gator, I am sorry. Just feeling like I am letting my poor guy down. All us Porzinc users will work together and maybe get some or all of us regulated. Thank you for always posting something so I know someone is listening. I am finding a good support system for Prozinc users already.

10. Gator & H (GA)

I sure wouldn't call 5 years of doing your best for Tabby a "failure." I would call that an "achievement."

11. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

amps 301 3.4u
    pmps 397 3.6u

I can't get a break. You can check his spreadsheet. I am also going to put his scale in the works on his profile link. Please take a look at his spreadsheet and his scale. Maybe a fresh set of eyes would help.

12. Gator & H (GA)

If/when you are able to get some mid-cycle tests in then it will help you decide if you want to up the dose any.

I'm almost thinking you are backing off too much. If you feel you need to back off I might try it in 0.1u increments and not 0.2u.

13. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

I will get some +6 numbers this weekend. .2 isn't much difference in a dose when he's getting 3.6u and 3.4u. It's a lot in your dosing Gator. We will see. I am so tired of working and reworking scales and they never work in the end. And one dose never works either. That's why we just settle for what we can get. Feel like crap right now. Maybe the spot checks will help this weekend.

14. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Alice, I am very sorry for your frustrations. I can relate because since Blackie's infection I can't seem to find the right dose and moving up and down seems like I'm chasing my tail. Or maybe I'm chasing Blackie's tail. Anyway, I hope the spot checks this weekend will help you work out your scale or find a good dose for Tabby. And don't forget to treat yourself right - chocolate, wine, whatever it takes.

15. Gator & H (GA)

Ultimately I think I've mentioned that I'm not big on "hard" sliding scales. What I do with H is more of a moving average sliding scale with small variations. With data one can first determine the dose the kitty is reactive to then you can eventually learn what an increase of 0.1u or 0.2u should have both on the next PS and on the expected nadir. So frequently I get in the position of wanting to drop H's PS from the start to the end of the cycle 20 BG points and I know that a +0.05u increase in dose will do that for me if all other things stay the same [like appetite etc]. Anyway, not sure if I'm making any sense. Enough for now. I guess my point is that my "scale" is always a work in progress, I'm always re-working it every cycle. Ultimately it comes down to what my intuition tells me I should dose based on the circumstances at hand and sometimes I get it right and sometimes I get it wrong. And it's just that when I do get it wrong now with a little bid of experience with the ProZinc the wrongs aren't so big.

I'm absolutely not trying to say you should do what I do, but rather just trying to explain what I do as we move along here.

I can understand your feelings. I'm in a situation currently where I have a lot of feelings on a matter but they are sometimes not so helpful and I just try to channel my energy/emotions into persistence rather than letting the emotional get to me too much. [easier said then done]

We'll just keep plugging away at it.

16. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

wait a second here ladies.

i want you to take a break from life for a few minutes at least if not a half hour. i want you to forget about all this diabetes crap. look at your cats. seriously. lay down on the floor if you can, or the couch or a bed and either just watch or even interact with your kitties. do they look like they are suffering? are they in pain? are they social? do they enjoy letting you pet them and hold them??? do their eyes fret about in excitement or their ears point to the sky when you swing a string in front of them or toss a toy across the floor??

there is no failure here. alice, you've been treating tabby & diabetes for 5 years??? that's an amazing accomplishment! one none of us know is even possible when we get the diagnosis. and Ele? come on here, Blackie is what about 17 years old??? how bad of a job can you be doing??? and with CRF! i've been thru CRF. it likes to flipping complicate things.

remember, they are still cats no matter what that damn electronic device throws at us. enjoy any and every minute you have with them, no matter the numbers! ((ladies))

17. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Thank you cindy. Treating the whole cat. I remember that.

18. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you, Cindy, for the reality check. Yes, I sometimes have FD on the brain. I even dreamed about he FDMB last night! How sick is that? I'm going to have a couple beers after work and let it go.

19. Terry and Puttz

Terry and Puttz Member

Alice and Tabby, and Ladie AND Gentlemen (Gator)...Taking a huge breath here! We have ALL been through alot with our Sugar Cats! Let's go forward...I am still struggling with high numbers at Day 10....Do I give up? Do I wonder what the next BG will be ??? Marathon, yes! Nobody said it would be easy...Love and Hugs to all of you supporters and newbies!

20. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((hugs))))) it is a tough, frustrating illness, and everyone here is AMAZING for putting your heart into it! Bix got regulated mostly despite my efforts :lol: who knows where he would be without some great advice I got here, and a pancreas that thankfully decided it was time to wake up.... but that was sheer dumb luck, no magic abilities on my part!!!

You are definitely not letting him down at all - you are totally taking care of him with an illness that is beyond your control. We're talking - VETS can't even get this darn thing fixed! The fact that you are even trying says mountains! Tabby is one lucky kitty!!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.