TABBY HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES AND IS ON PROZINC

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Matt & Tabby, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Tabby has been in my life for 6 years now and just became diabetic. She is a tabby and yes I named her tabby just went with my feelings on the name so don't laugh. We are in are first week of shots and blood monitoring from home. Vet clocked her at 500 bg with lab work. So far he lowest home reading has been 321. . We had her at 1 unit on prozinc. Just bump up to two yesterday and no big change in numbers besides the 321 I took at the 6 hour peek. She was hiding alot and drinking slot and eatting more then normal. She has been more social lately but numbers are still high. This is frustrating for the both of us. Wondering how to get here numbers down safely and effectively. Vet keeps telling me it takes a while for the new dose to work in. Been giving shots above her shoulders with the tent aproach as I guesd they call it. Any help and support would be great in this journey to submission I am hoping for.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Matt,

Glad you found your way here. This a friendly forum but much smaller than Health. It is busiest in the am/pm. If you ever have an emergency, post both here and on Health to attract the most eyes. One thing that can help is to read through the other threads here and check out their spreadsheets to see how ProZinc is working for them.

The insulin does take a while to work, but you need to have the wet low carb food to work with it. Did you read the website I sent: www.catinfo.org. Here is the food chart. We try to stay under 8% carbs BUT be sure to monitor carefully during the change. They can drop over 100 points. You may want to start slowly, mixing 3/4 dry with 1/4 wet at first, then gradually switching the percentages. Some cats experience some tummy upset at first.

http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Matt, were you able to access the spreadsheet I sent?

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Welcome Matt and Tabby. So sorry you have to be here but as you will find, that this disease is manageable and Tabby will soon get back to feeling better and maybe into remission. At first you will be thrown a whole lot of information but soon you will get the hang of it. There is lots of reading that should be done and we have all the info on this website plus a few more. I am just going to throw out some initial info and others can add to it. Sue has got you started on the first three.
    1) Read catinfo.org and all the threads on the Prozinc and Health Forum
    2) Transition to the right canned, low carb food
    3) Set up a spreadsheet so you can start collecting data
    4) Set up your signature that could include information such as insulin, BG monitor, Tabby's age, food, any other diseases, etc.
    5) Find a place in your home where you will always perform the test and give lots of hugs before and after testing
    6) Get Ketostix (ketone test strips) to test for ketones periodically
    7) Most folks here use a human meter because it's cheaper and the U100 syringes (need to use the U100 conversion table) Conversion chart
    8) Remember that every cat is different (ECID) and this is definitely going to be a journey for you and Tabby (there will be frustrations, ups and downs)
    As always, just holler if you have any questions.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Matt. You are in good hands here. I was so overwhelmed when I arrived but with the guidance from the knowledgeable peeps here, you will be so comforted. You are ahead of the game that you are home testing, very important. The peeps here are so knowledgeable and we are all in this together. Tabby is lucky she has a Dad like you! See you around the forum. PS It is nice to see your pic with your cat.

granadilla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.