Taishi 6 Month Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Taishi_Ci, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

I hope it's okay to post this thread here. The folks in this forum specifically, especially @Bandit's Mom , were so incredibly supportive and helpful in the beginning and I want to say thank you and give encouragement to the newbies out there. I stopped posting in the forum because the advice I received here gave us enough confidence to handle virtually any situation and I didn't want to clutter the forum with my posts when others needed more help :)

Taishi recently passed the 6th month mark of his diabetes diagnosis. Based on his spreadsheet, I think it's safe to consider him pretty well regulated. The blue numbers are not ideal (especially with a human meter), but I'm hoping that he's low enough often enough to prevent damage to his organs. He's a different cat than when he was first diagnosed. Or rather, he's the same cat he was prior to developing diabetes. There are no signs of neuropathy, he's energetic and playful, vocal, snuggly, etc. We're very fortunate that he handles testing like a champ and communicates with us when he's dipping into lower numbers. He loves his wet food and has done great on a mix of Fancy Feast Naturals and Friskies Pate. We've started feeding our other 6 kitties more and more wet food as well, but still supplement them with kibble (because $$$).

I experienced so much depression and feelings of devastation when he was first diagnosed, but I'm here to say IT DOES GET EASIER. Caring for him is inconvenience, but it's become so routine that it just feels like a part of life now.

We are still hoping for remission and I'm sad we don't seem close to that yet. I feel like every day that ticks by his chance of going into remission is reduced. I've struggled with feelings of selfishness since his diagnosis, as I'm sure many others have. One of my passions was travel - especially international travel. I'd finally reached a point in my life where enough things had fallen into place that I could do what I'd always dreamed of... and then Taishi got sick. With how much close monitoring he needs, I just don't think it's realistic or fair to leave him with a pet sitter for extended periods of time.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you. I wish everyone with a diabetic kitty not only would find this forum but also take the advice here to heart. Testing your cat is worth it. Following a dosing method is worth it. The people here know what they're talking about and despite the bumps at first, they've helped give me my kitty back <3 Much love to you all!

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Jessie! So nice to hear from you, and I'm thrilled to see Taishi's progress since the last time you were here!

I completely understand about wanting him to go into remission. I wanted that *so* badly for Ruby, and for us as a family. I too look forward to travel, and though the pandemic has made that nearly impossible for a while, I'm planning summer and it looks like Ruby will still be diabetic then as she is now. The great thing about Taishi being where he is, and where Ruby is right now too, is that if you go away for a week or two and leave him with a sitter, you know that you can give a reduced vacation dose and he will catch up to where he was before you left. Once you achieve regulation, it's almost certain you can get it back again by increasing doses of insulin.

Thanks for the report. I hope things continue to go well for you all. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jessie, it's good to hear from you! :) Taishi is indeed looking great! While remission is everyone's goal (and there's no reason you should give up on it), tight regulation is no mean feat and you guys have achieved it. Taishi is slowly going down the dosing ladder, which also means there is some pancreatic healing underway.

I know what you mean about travel being a passion and having a diabetic kitty making that more diffcult. Like Katherine suggested, you could probably leave him with a petsitter for a couple of weeks on a vacation dose.

Stay in touch and fingers crossed that Taishi continues to do better and better! :bighug:

4. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jessie, so glad to hear all is going well for Taishi and for you. I did miss you. I wish all goods things going forward in the new year. Dolly was blessed to have remission for 7 months but unfortunately the 2nd try was impossible. I did get her well regulated for a time and that’s a great place to be. Sending big hugs to you both. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: