Test strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sylvia Sheaffer, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia Sheaffer

Sylvia Sheaffer Member

If I purchase an Alpha Trak II meter, can I use other strips in it, besides the strips that are made for the meter? And, is that an accurate meter? Thanks

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

AlphaTrak strips are batch tested so they can provide you with the correct code to use in the meter to get the most accurate reading for your cat. If you are not going to use the AlphaTrak strips, there is no point in getting the AlphaTrak meter. If you want cheaper strips, I suggest you get a human meter and the proper strips for it. The majority of people here use human meters. The numbers read lower than they would on an AlphaTrak (though there is no exact percentage difference or way to map the results on one to the results on the other), but they can still be used to track patterns and to keep your cat safe. In fact, the dosing protocols/methods documented on this site were done with numbers for human meters.

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If you could peel back a test strip you'd see each one has it's own circuit board. The price of strips is the one thing that makes us all nuts.
    Just be thankful you're not using this beast from the 70's.
    meter02.JPG Yes that is an AC adapter. :blackeye:

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  4. KarrieK

KarrieK Member

We have an Alpha Trak, and bought some other compatible (and a lot less expensive) test strips. All you need to do is re-program the meter according to the instructions on the container.

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

We do not recommend, on this board, that any member use a strip other than that for which their meter was designed and is specified. While it is your decision what to do for your kitty, we don’t advise other members to do it.

Thank you! :)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Marje, I'm Diane Tyler's Mom I used to use the Alpha Trak 2 until I could no longer afford the test strips. I have just switched over to the Relion Prime and I love it. I will also be switching over from Vetsulin to Lantus in about 8 days
    Linda (MrWorfMen'sMom) has been helping me from the get go.
    Tyler has been doing very well on Vetsulin but lately hasn't been getting good duration
    I'm still sort of a newbie but have learned so much from Linda and other members
    Linda said she has never seen a cat do so good on Vetsulin.
    I'm hoping the Lantus will be much better for him.
    I have gotten used to the human meter and the lower numbers and have been doing a lot of reading about Lantus
    Linda has been a god send for me.
    Poor Linda I can drive her crazy sometimes because I can be a worry wart at times
    lol
    My vet is on board with everything I do
    I also talk with Beth73 Elmo's mom. She has been very supportive
    I'm looking forward to going over to the Lantus board and getting to know more members whose cats are on Lantus and other experienced members who know about Lantus
    I don't know what I would have done without this amazing forum and Linda
    Everyone here is so supportive and caring
    hoping to talk to you also @Marje and Gracie

8. Marje and Gracie

We will be very happy to have you and Tyler join the Lantus/Levemir group. It’s a very different mentality on using the long duration insulins but you’ll like it.

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

I hope I will get the hang of it, or else I will drive Linda crazy, but she thinks I will be fine. Nice meeting you, wishing you happy holidays @Marje and Gracie

10. Marje and Gracie

Please tag me before you switch so I can be sure you get the correct starting dose for Lantus. There are a lot more people to help in the Lantus group so you can give Linda a rest ;):) She does help a lot of members!

Merry Christmas!

Sorry for the thread hijack,

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Will do, I know I see Linda helps so many kitties that I feel awful sometimes have a good nights sleep, sorry for the hijack myself

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

We'll be keeping an eye out for you on the Lantus (etc.) board.

One quick important note for when you make the switch -- you will need U100 syringes. Vetsulin uses U40 syringes.

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Sienne yep I'm all set, Linda has prepared me for everything, thanks for looking out for me

14. KarrieK

KarrieK Member

I appreciate your input and will take that into consideration. As others have said, I am new at this and just trying to save a few dollars. Between my diabetic kitty and my cancer/IBD kitty, the costs have been staggering. Of course they are worth it, but it's a strain sometimes on our budget.

15. KarrieK

KarrieK Member

This is interesting. I have a feeling we will be changing the type of insulin we use as well as the other supplies (as soon as our Vetsulin runs out). It is disheartening that an emergency hospital vet would even give us that type of insulin if it's not our best choice. However, as I went though my other kitty's IBD journey (over 4 years now) I learned that I have to be my cat's advocate and not always believe everything they say. I sure appreciate the time everyone takes to give advice and input, and hope to learn a lot more - soon! Thank you.

16. Marje and Gracie

Karrie.....it does puzzle us why vets are still prescribing Vetsulin, Caninsulin, and Normalin/Humulin when Lantus and Levemir have been the gold standard for cats now for a very, very long time.

As Sienne said, please be sure that when you do switch, you get U100, 0.3cc, 31g syringes. You are very smart in that you’ve learned you have to be your cat’s advocate. We have learned through the decades here that, however, well meaning or wonderful, most vets miss the boat in treating FD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.