Tested for Ketones - what do I want it to say?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NicoleC46237, Mar 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

I got my new blood ketone meter and strips today so I tested Lou after I used his normal meter to do his PMPS tonight. He got a 0.4 on the ketone test. What do I want it to be? What do I not want it to be? I was looking but I didn't see an actual number anywhere to stay under.... Is it just under 1.0?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

3. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

Thank you Juls! Wonderful info to have :cat: I appreciate it!

Deb & Wink and Juls and Billy like this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

at 0.4 I would just be sure to add extra water to the food and check again the next day esp if he seems off at all or if he's not eating well.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

I've been adding water to his pate each meal. It scares me that he's so close to 0.6. I'm planning to test every day for a while.

JanetNJ and Deb & Wink like this.
  6. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

On a blood meter, anything under .6 is a completely normal reading. .4 is what my Billy always tests at, and he has never had ketone issues. It's below "trace" which requires more monitoring.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

He's at 0.2 tonight. I just wish his BG was looking better. I'm not sure why it's so high when it was running so well :/

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Juls and Billy -

The information from the DCI site on ketone levels is incorrect. They are displaying levels that are relevant for humans. Please see the two articles that are attached at the bottom of this post on on ketones and DKA.

FWIW - I am very leery of information from the DCI site. They follow a form of TR that was developed for Prozinc (which was fine) but use it with other types of insulin. They do not advise intervening with HC food if a cat is in low numbers. IMHO, what they recommend is dangerous and they have had cats in critical condition due to this policy. Errors like not looking at the actual research on issues such as ketones is likewise problematic.

NicoleC46237 likes this.
  9. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Okay, from the first article, their blood ketone measurement is even more lenient. They list nonketotic diabetic cats as anything under .9 instead of under .6. Yes, they list non-diabetic cats in a range or 0- .1, but they have anything under .9 as normal for a diabetic cat. Then after that, they list diabetic ketosis as anything from .6 to 6.8. I can only assume this means ECID, and some cats are asymptomatic between .6 and .9, but some cats develop symptoms above .6. In any event, this article from the Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation seems to agree that anything under .6 on a blood ketone meter is nothing to worry about in a diabetic cat.

The second article is not about what ranges are good, it is about whether the meter I happen to use, Precision Xtra, is accurate when testing cats. They say it is very accurate until one gets to very high levels of ketones. So yay for the Precision Xtra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.