Testing blood

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patrick Boone, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Boone

Patrick Boone New Member

Where do you test your cats at?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.
    Most people test their cat on the ear.
    upload_2021-4-20_16-13-50.jpeg

You will need to buy a glucose meter and some lancets to prick the ear and some cotton balls to hold behind the ear when you do it.
    I would buy a human meter as it is much cheaper to run. If you live in the auras Walmart have the ReliOn meter which is inexpensive and reliable.
    And buy size 26 or 28 lancets

Here is a link to home testing ...look at the hints...
    Don’t expect success first time,.......you may be lucky but done give up if you are not. And make sure you reward your kitty every time you test, even if you are not successful
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Keep asking questions if we can help further. I am so glad you are going to home test. It will keep your kitty safe

Noah & me (GA) and Patrick Boone like this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Testing can be more art than science. Our first boy was a model citizen, the second was a nervous boy so I did this.
    Got all the other cats out of the room, laid out everything in front of him so it wasn't a big surprise, sang a little song, rubbed his nose and ears. Some people use a lancet device, I free handed only because that's what I was taught. He also loved having a warm wet paper towel rub later but obviously don't soak him.
    Whatever works for you is what matters, they know it might hurt so trust is everything. Some people have had to swaddle or cocoon their cat in a towel but that's only when nothing else works.
    If you read or hear somewhere about testing the paw pads yes it's been done but that's a whole different thing. Best of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.