? Testing with a retail work schedule

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julee, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Julee

Julee Member

Question- so how do I handle this type of work schedule?

I am retail manager. My schedule varies. Typically Iwork 6am - 2:30pm and have the rest of the day free.But I can also work 8-430 or 3-11:30pm. For example today I worked at 6am but tomorrow I work at 3pm. I normally don’t have anyone else at home to help withtesting.

Suggestions? I have been just testing and giving shots the best I could. That is why I had always focused onPreshot numbers

2. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you teach a friend, or neighbor, or family member to test & inject while your not home?
    Or are you close enough to work to come home during those times?

3. Julee

Julee Member

Unfortunately no to all the above. My daughter is moving out this weekend and she tested for me.

4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Well your daughter wont come over on nights that you have to work to test/feed/shoot insulin?

Otherwise you can hire a vet tech or petsitter to come on those nights you work late.
    They range from $10-$20 per visit especially with meds.
    Its much easier to get a friend that is reliable to come & teach them.

5. Giomax

Giomax Member

Hey, Julee...I understand your problem working full time with a varying schedule! I'm the same way. I work 5 days a week, different hours and different days each week. I also understand not being able to bring over help. I don't have anyone to test or shoot for me at home and it's MUCH easier said than done trying to get someone reliable to come over when you need them. I've been managing well enough for four months though. Thankfully I work only 10-15 minutes away so if I really feel the need to, I can stop home quick to test in the middle of the day. I haven't been on a perfect schedule with Max's shots and tests, but I'm doing the best I can. That's all you can really do. A 5am/5pm shooting schedule seems like it would work well for you most of the time, but what to do about your 3-11:30 day? Hmm...

6. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Right. Those days she could get someone...maybe hire a professional petsitter not amateur petsitter as the professional petsitter will be reliable.
    Also if you happen to have a college nearby with a Vet tech or Vet program you can hire a student and teach that person about the diabetes care.

7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hey Julie,
    Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you.
    How often do you have that 3 to 11.30 day?

It may make sense on the days that you have to work 3-11.30 to do two 18hr back to back cycles.
    if your 'normal shot time was 5-5.30am/pm, on a day when you work the 3 to 11.30pm shift shooting as soon as you got home, 11.30 to midnight?? and then shooting again 18hrs later at approx 5-5.30pm so that would see you back on schedule.
    Does that sound feasible?

Shooting a couple of hours early can act as a dose increase on the following cycle, so not advisable, it really clouds things.

The 18 hr cycle, may see number creep up a bit but at least it's not a total skip and is safer than shooting too early.
    On your regular days try and keep it as steady as you can but 15 to 30 min either way is probably not going to make too much of a difference. What you want to avoid doing is bringing forward the shot time by 30 min for consecutive cycles as it will have a cumulative effect and act as a dose increase.