The ongoing saga of Sue and Joe and testing Joe at home

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Susan Pomo, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Susan.
    Just be aware that posting over on the Prozinc forum, won’t get as much traffic as the main forum so if you need help quickly and there’s no one around here, post over on the main forum.

3. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

this is a continuation of my frantic "new member" thread when I was losing it and not taking good care of Joe. Thanks to all the awesome people that rode it out with me while we changed from Novolin insulin to Prozinc. While I learned about food. While I, with the help of awesome Chris, got the spreadsheet up. ETC
    Thank you @JanetNJ, @Sarah&Soph @smorgasbord @Chris&China @Librarianista

smorgasbord, Hshray and Librarianista like this.
  4. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

should I move this to the main forum? Challenged techy here

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It’s up to you. You will have people here who use Prozinc. I’m just not sure how often they are here. If it doesn’t work out, you can always post over on the main forum.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You're fine here. Good luck getting a test today. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  7. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

You were doing the very best you could, and every day will be better! I think I can speak for everyone that we kind of "lost it" when we first got diagnosed. How is Joe doing today?

8. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

No blood from Joe's ears today. He acted out. Got his tuna but acted offended that I wanted something from him. He was a bad sport. I am having a helping hand, someone that he knows, my daughter, come tomorrow to help.

JanetNJ and smorgasbord like this.
  9. smorgasbord

Joe! This is no time to be a prince! Another set of hands will help. Maybe having someone there can be encouraging to not give up, to try again. Keep us updated.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  10. smorgasbord

And love your thread title btw.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  11. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

YAY! Today was a successful! Bites of tuna in front of him, rice sock warming his ear, a couple of pokes in the sweet spot and we get blood. Not only that but we get blood on the meter. My daughter, although I love her dearly, has the common sense of a firefly and brought her dog with her, who would just make Joe nervous. I sent her packing and went about it as I have done much in my life "to heck with anybody I can do this myself' attitude.
    It was not a good reading, 444, but I am thrilled I made it all work. The Reli-On meter is less temperamental than my other.
    Joe had some canned food at 1pm and the testing was done at 2;15

JanetNJ likes this.
  12. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

For some reason the SS is not updating. I erroneously put his test results for today in yesterday's place. I used cut and paste and changed it but the spreadsheet in here did not change. Todays reading 444.

13. JanetNJ

Congratulations!!!

14. JanetNJ

I see it in the spreadsheet

Susan Pomo likes this.
  15. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

We are supposed to go to the vet tomorrow for a fructosamine test. Anyone else have that done and is there any value to it?

16. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

thank you! Yes big day and I am feeling hopeful and accomplished :smuggrin:

JanetNJ likes this.
  17. smorgasbord

YESSS go Joe! You are hilarious. I'm sure the firefly meant well lol.

18. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

haha. The firefly always means well but sometimes I need her to THINK

19. smorgasbord

Clearly she does not have a cat.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  20. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I feel like the vet will want to up Joe's dose from 2.5 to 3 tomorrow

21. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

In your case, I like the idea of a fructosamine test, since you have only recently been able to get some tests at home. The fructosamine test will give you an indication of average blood glucose levels over a 2-3 week period.

Here is some more info:
    Reference ranges for fructosamine test

Susan Pomo likes this.
  22. smorgasbord

Look at you with the three readings today! You could ask here what the opinion is on upping his dose, I'm sure they would love to help.

JanetNJ likes this.
  23. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I know! I am feeling so accomplished. I was going to print the spreadsheet for the vet but felt I would test again tomorrow maybe at +4 (just because I can!) so I will wait to add that data and then print.

24. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Is the place on the SS labeled AMPS PMPS where I put the hour he gets his insulin?

25. smorgasbord

Yes, that is the test that you give him BEFORE he gets his insulin. AM Pre Shot/PM Pre Shot. Then the "U" is the amount of insulin he gets after testing his blood sugar and making sure it's safe to give insulin.

26. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

AMPS and PMPS on the SS are the BG tests you get just before you give insulin dose. I've seen some people add a column for time, but I don't think it's necessary IMHO.

smorgasbord likes this.
  27. smorgasbord

Hee hee hee. Do it!

Susan Pomo likes this.
  28. JanetNJ

I think that's a good. Call. I think he needs 3.

smorgasbord and Susan Pomo like this.
  29. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Tried to get a reading B4 insulin and food this AM and meter just says HIGH

30. JanetNJ

Ok well that means it's over 600 or whatever your meter goes up to. I think you need to raise to 3 units

31. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Yes, I figured that was the case. It was time for insulin and food but I was just checking it

32. JanetNJ

If you didn't already shoot I would do 3

33. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I did already shoot. Right after the high reading. Fructosamine test at 2pm. Eating like a horse.

JanetNJ likes this.
  34. JanetNJ

Ok well tonight then I'd do 3. Hopefully that number will come down for you.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  35. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi it's important to get some tests in after PMPS, you are only seeing half the picture and some more in during the AMPS cycle

36. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Hi Diane
    I am just starting to be able to test at home. Yesterday was my first day when all went right.
    Today Joe is having a Fructosamine test.
    thanks

37. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

406 today at +4

38. smorgasbord

It’s still data even though it was “hi”! Great that you were able to get a reading.

39. smorgasbord

Yay, more data. Great job mom!
    Is it getting easier to get a reading?

40. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

yes! Just like everyone said, we have a routine. I heat the sock and then take out the can of tuna. He is paying attention when the tuna comes out of the fridge. I put a few bites on his plate and warm ear. Put a few more bites out and prick ear 2-3 times using the heated sock behind where I prick. wait for him to finish his last bite of tuna and capture the blood on the meter. He is happy and I am happy. Fingers crossed and thank you GOD for answering prayers

JanetNJ and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  41. smorgasbord

Routines are good, tuna fixes everything :) You're lucky you don't have to hold his ear once you get the drop. Templeton gets annoyed at the feeling of the blood drop and immediately flicks his ear, losing the blood, so I have to hold it once the drop appears and grab the reading quick.
    Wondering why you prick more than once? His poor ears :( I'd guess if you wait a bit and lightly squeeze to get a bigger drop, you should only need to prick once.

42. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

HI Smorg,
    I prick more than once because sometimes once is not making it happen. Sometimes I get no blood from one poke and then the moment is lost, tuna is gone and he is aggravated. Kind of insurance if you will. I will get better!
    BTW, I have looked at the pic of the sweet spot and cannot tell. Is the sweet spot on the part of the ear on the outside of his head? Or the part closest to the other ear?

43. smorgasbord

I feel you, time is valuable, once that tuna is gone...
    If you're warming up the ear, I'd be shocked if you don't get blood, it may just be taking a second to appear? I totally get it, the insurance. You're doing great!
    It's the outside of his head. The longer side of the ear if you will.

More reading: http://wendyblount.com/handouts-disease/endocrinology/ClientHandout-HomeTesting-EarPrick.pdf

44. Diane Tyler's Mom

Okey Dokey good job

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  45. Diane Tyler's Mom

What do you mean closet to the other ear?
    Either ear is fine , you can go back and forth from one ear to the other

[​IMG][​IMG]

46. smorgasbord

"Stroke the ear, wait a few seconds for the
    capillaries to refill, then stroke again. If you
    don't get a big enough drop before it starts to
    coagulate, you will need to prick again."

I love this tutorial.
    "If it has already been close to 3 minutes, remove and re-insert the strip to restart the countdown. Most meters will shut off after 3 minutes, even in the middle of sipping up the blood drop. Try explaining to your cat that everything was perfect except your timing ;)

47. JanetNJ

You can do either side.

smorgasbord likes this.
  48. smorgasbord

Oh yeah, sorry, you can do either side @Susan Pomo, But I believe the photos are showing the out side of the head, not the side closer to the other ear, as you asked.

49. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Yikes! Put Joe into the carrier and off to the vet we go. Receptionist cannot find our appointment and DERP..his appointment is tomorrow :facepalm:
    Call in to her to make sure it is alright to go to 3units. He has thrown up a little. Twice. Both times there was grass in the vomit.

50. JanetNJ

oops! That sounds like something I would do. ;). grass usually makes them puke. 3 is safe

51. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

He also seems wobbly, sort of, in the afternoon. Sort of had me worried and hesitant to increase. I guess the bottom line is the numbers though. Right? I mean getting those BS numbers down is what I am stiving for and that is the only way to do it

52. smorgasbord

Derp indeed lol. Sorry Joe, we’re just practicing today haha. I hope she says 3 is ok. Grass puke is a-ok. We get pukes over here after most grass snacks.

53. smorgasbord

Wobbly how?
    In my experience (others more experienced please correct if wrong) Templeton’s blood sugar being HIGH causes wobblyness. You’d want to worry about wobblys at a very low blood sugar, as that could be a hypoglycemic symptom, but that is ruled out as his blood sugar is so high. If anything, upping the dose will help him be more steady on his legs.

54. JanetNJ

Could be a bit of neuropathy setting in too. Or very high or very low numbers. If you see him wobble do get a test of possible.

smorgasbord likes this.
  55. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

406 at +1 after insulin at the first dose of 3 units

smorgasbord likes this.
  56. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

333 at +2

smorgasbord likes this.
  57. smorgasbord

Look at this progress! You must be stoked. Look up B12 and Folic acid on here, might help for Joe is he's feeling wobbly. I know it's on my list of supplements to add.

58. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I have asked for a complete blood panel to be done tomorrow

59. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he getting cat grass grown inside the house or is he allowed outdoors?

60. smorgasbord

Good good. That will have lots of information.

61. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Joe is allowed outside, always has been. He is a rescue from outside and would tear up the house if he were not allowed outside. I have always been able to get him in for the night. He has always stayed close to home and now that he is sick he wants out, wants back in, wants out, back in, etc. all day long. He does enjoy his snoozes in the sun. Up until these past few months, when I walked the dog, Joe walked with me. All the way around the block. Every day. He still tries but I only walk 2 houses down and back because he is following and I feel it might be too much

62. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

well, the pre-shot has gone down a little. Instead of being off the charts, it was 559

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    smorgasbord and JanetNJ like this.
  63. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

do you think this is the thing to do? It seems to me he is not responding to insulin and I fear an underlying condition. Although 3 other blood panels since January have not shown anything. Just grasping.

64. JanetNJ

Do you have room for a catios?

65. JanetNJ

When the labs come back ask for a copy of them to post.

66. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

edited the above. The Pre shot was 559

67. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I do. Joe likes to patrol. He walks up and down the sidewalk. The neighbors call him the security guy for the HOA. He hates dogs and most know to walk their dog across the street from Joe's house because he goes after them. I will build a catio for him if need be. Just trying to let him have the pleasures in life he enjoyed before getting sick. He still strolls the sidewalk but I notice he only goes as far as one house on each side. I have 3 cats. 2 were rescues from outdoors. Both are allowed out during the day. Joe is one of them. I have tried to keep both in and change their lives, giving window seats and pleasures indoors, to no avail. Jules pulled all the fur from her belly and armpits during this time and had to go on Prozac. Joe got to 20lbs. Cheddar, the newest member never goes outside and it is usually a rule of mine. Joe and Jules were both stray cats, born outdoors and rescued after they lived a bit of a rough life on the streets

68. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

When I tried to upload a pic the other day, it says "you do not have permission to upload" is there something I have to do?

Just got my best reading of 235! YAY:cat:

69. JanetNJ

You can copy and paste but not upload. Yeah for a yellow number!! Maybe we found your breakthrough dose!!! If you can I'd test in 2-3 hours.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  70. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

172 at +4! Yaahoo!
    WE ARE IN THE BLUE!!

Hshray, Diane Tyler's Mom and JanetNJ like this.
  71. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

read a bit about this. Zobalin. Going on my list of possible things if he continues to seem wobbly

smorgasbord likes this.
  72. smorgasbord

It can't hurt. But if you're already done 3 this year, if it were me I'd just try to be patient and see what the insulin can do. But that's just me, and where I am they are close to $400 each and I also have done 3 this year...:banghead:

Susan Pomo likes this.
  73. smorgasbord

172!! That's great news Susan. Give him all the tuna and chicken to get that blood lol.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  74. JanetNJ

I'm loving that 172!!!

75. Diane Tyler's Mom

You can also try

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-60-capsules-5
    Alot of members use this , I use it myself you can buy it on line from Vitacost
    Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
    It's 14.49 but out of stock , see what I wrote at the end
    Same as Zobaline , but the Zobaline is so expensive as you know
    This is the same thing
    The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
    So I buy the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and add it to the B-12
    If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half
    The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
    Has no taste, no need to crush it up
    The Zobaline is 33.99 for 60 pills, too expensive
    I saw a big improvement I'd say 3 months, could be sooner. One capsule a day.
    Once you get your kitty better regulated the B-12 methyl will help

Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules

I see they are out stock for the 100 capsules 14.49
    Go to the drop down you will see 60 capsules for 9.44 that's still a good price even if you buy 2 bottles.
    https://www.vitacost.com

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  76. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I just asked for another. Only $150ish here (Georgia) and what the heck, I did not have any other plans for my retirement $. LOL

77. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

And now at +10 all the way up to 575. Grrhh

78. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Hi Diane, Is this for neuropathy or to help regulate?

79. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi it's for neuropathy

Susan Pomo likes this.
  80. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Oh my gosh, my worst fear realized. Gave Joe his evening shot and when finished there was a small puddle of insulin atop his fur. I do not know how much he got in him. OMgosh

81. JanetNJ

Fur shots happen to everyone. Don't shoot more. It is what it is. Just note it as a furs hot on the ss. Bummer but it's fine.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  82. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Numbers are looking good. Just got a call from the vet. Blood Panel and Fructosamine look good. Have to pick up a copy tomorrow and will start a new thread and post

83. JanetNJ

I like that 164 you saw today

84. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Yes I know! As per the vet and please tell me if you agree, If Joes numbers are under 250 for 18 hours, but not counting an hour before or an hour after shot, then he is doing well. She says she prefers to see under 200 but would accept under 250 (throughout the day)

85. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Actually the fructosamine result does not look good but I knew he was all over the place. The result was 525. Yikes. I am going to hope to keep him at 3 units and do it again in another month or so

86. JanetNJ

Under 250 is generally under the Renal threshold for most cats, meaning the glucose isn't spilling into the urine. The goal however is to get them into normal range for at least part of the day. That's when the pancreas can test and heal. Under 250 is a first step there.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  87. JanetNJ

The fructosamine test doesn't really tell you anything you don't already know now that you are home testing. You will know if the numbers are too high or if they are good from your tests. Save your money on the fructosamine test and buy test strips. Lol. You can get it of course of you want.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  88. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I see. So I am getting the same info by home testing. I will concentrate on that then.
    So funny and cute, Joe is getting used to getting his tuna and fresh chicken bites that I give while testing. So now, all day long he will jump to our testing spot and meow and stare me down. Testing is getting to be a breeze. The hard thing seems to be staying up late enough to get some night BS levels

JanetNJ likes this.
  89. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Janet, you are just such a wealth of information and we thank you, Joe and I, for your help.

JanetNJ likes this.
  90. JanetNJ

The fructosamine test is the average over a 2-3 week period. It's good for diagnosing but since you are testing at home you don't need it.

91. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I got a 63 reading at +6 today. I did it again to make sure something was not wrong and got a 61. Is this a danger zone or anything?

92. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

93. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

94. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Joe^^blood panel. Any input greatly appreciated

95. JanetNJ

Wow your first green!! No not dangerous as long as it doesn't drop more than that.

96. JanetNJ

So obviously glucose is high. Early stage 2 kidney disease. Did the vet talk to you about that? You may consider switching to a food lower in phosphorus to try to delay progression of the kidney disease as long as you can. My CC was diabetic and had cdk, and currently my non diabetic cat Allie has ckd. I fedCC weruva foods that are low in carb and phosphorus. I'm happy to post a list for you. You are going to want to switch him to foods not only low carb but under 1%phosphorus.

The red blood cells are on the low side. You may want to give b12 methylcobalamin supplements to see if that helps it go up.... You don't want to end up fighting anemia.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  97. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I have no idea how to read the blood test. So you got that from it? Early stage 2 kidney disease?? Now I am scared. The vet only said, his kidney values do not look great but they do not look bad for a 14-year-old cat.
    Do these supplements have to be for a cat or can I human stuff. Yes, I do want to give it and see if it helps. Edited: This helps the blood cells, I just realized
    Can you tell me where you saw that he has this disease, so I know what to watch?
    Also any info on what to do to fight the Kidney disease?

98. JanetNJ

I added more info about food to my reply above.

So the kidney values you look at are creatnine and bun. Creatnine between 1.6-2.8 is considered stage 2. Don't panic. With some minor changes and a watchful eye they can live quite a while with ckd. Changing to a lower phos food is a good first step. Down the road when he's in stage 3 you can add in sub q fluids, but that's not needed now. Do add water to the food though if he will take it. My Allie has a creatnine of 1.8 right now so about the same as your guy. We put an extra bowl of water on the kitchen table to encourage her to drink more. Unfortunately kidneys are a week spot for cats and ckd in seniors is very common. Here's a link to Tanya's sight about ckd. http://www.felinecrf.org/how_bad_is_it.htm

There are great groups for ckd cats on Facebook. I belong to Cats with Chronic Renal Failure.

You don't have to use pet specific b12 methylcobalamin. There are two types of b12 so look for the one that is b12 methylcobalamin. I used to give cc about 500mcg - 1000 mcg of it a day mixed in with her food because her levels were on the low side. So far Allie doesn't need them.

99. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

A rescue that I volunteer for gave me a case of Purina NF when Joe first got sick. I have not used it and almost donated it. Now I will feed it to him. It is for kidney function and I will have to check but I think it is low phosphorus.
    Joe has two new places for water, both coffee cups, One on the table where we are testing, and another near a place that he sits. I might make a third.
    I joined the FB group. I will devour information from there.
    I will look into the B12 Methylcobalamin. Going to go check iherb for it. I will give the same amount you give Allie.
    Alright, I can be pro-active with this too.
    Sort of mad at my et for not be more specific.
    thank you Janet

100. JanetNJ

No don’t. That food is 27% carb. You done need any prescription food. The prescription kidney diets are for when they are end stage kidney failure. Otherwise it’stoo low in protein and there’s muscle wasting. Plus they are super high in carb which is no good for diabetics.
    In in the process of seeing which foods Allie likes best (so far she likes chicken checkmate and paw lickin chicken, laugh out loud, plus some gravy ones that your Joey can’t have).
    Here’s a list of good choices that I feed to CC. All are weruva foods. They are very transparent about nutrition information on the weruva website. Look at the DRY matter list for phosphorus info and ME list for carbs. There are more choices than I list here, but this is just what I tried with her.
    As I tried new ones I made a list of which ones she enjoyed.
    Weruva slide and serve pate foods Family Food (.97 phosphorus and 0 carb). Also Jeopurrdy Chicken (0.97 P 6.1 carb)
    What a Crock 0.71 phosphorus and 8 carb lots of gravy so she loved it.
    Goody stew shoes 0.71 phosphorus, 8.5 carb. This one was a big hit

Weruva Steak Frites (0.57 phosphorus 5.5 carb although I take out any big pieces of potatoes to try to limit the carbs just a bit)

Weruva LA isla Bonita - phosphorus 0.77 carb 4.5 (used to like, not a favorite anymore)

Glam and punk 1% carb, 0.93 phosphorous.

Weruva paw lickin chicken 3.3 carb 0.82 p and

Press your lunch 5.9 carb. 0.82 phosphorous

Bff play Laugh Out Loud chicken and lamb 7.7 carb, 0.82 phosphorous
    BFF play destiny (chicken and duck) 0.87 phosphorus 7.7 carb
    Bff play chicken cherish 0.71 phosphorus 7.6 carb
    Bff play best buds chicken and beef 7.9 carb 0.9 phosphorus
    Bff play chicken Checkmate. 7.7 carb 0.7 phos
    On the Cat Wok 3.8 carb 0.74 phos