The results are in

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Rardito, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rardito

Rardito Member

Mitsy has Cushing's Disease.

The vet was very surprised and said he never had a cat with Cushing's before.

He said the test indicated an adrenal tumor so she has an ultrasound scheduled for Monday. He didn't sound hopeful. He said he would research everything although when I mentioned the medication he said it was like a chemo drug and toxic to cats?

Pretty bummed out :(

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sorry for your results.

Maybe @Ana & Frosty can provide some insights. Frosty has Cushings and on some meds for it.

Ana & Frosty (GA) and Rardito like this.
  3. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

It can be caused by an adrenal tumor, but adrenals are in the belly. Usually, the tumor is in the PITUITARY - which is in the brain. That makes more sense for your kitty because of the neurological symptoms too.

Does he know anything about Vetoryl in cats? The dosing is different for cats but it has been done and shown to be effective for some.

If the vet is giving you no options, I recommend looking for an internal medicine vet, who HAS seen Cushing’s in cats. Also, I know funds are really tight, but you MAY want to consult dr. McCue over the phone at least to get some info about possible surgery. They HAVE done it for cats with large pituitary tumors that cause neurological symptoms.

I’ll post more info about my convo with him tomorrow. Hugs

Rardito likes this.
  4. Ana & Frosty (GA)

It’s definitely not easily tolerated and it is toxic on some level (as most medications are) but some cats do tolerate it and respond well, and it’s better than nothing.

There is an endocrinology vet in NYC who has a lot of experience with Vetoryl in cats and he has a website where he has some vets email him with questions about their patients and he posts their discussions, it’s a good way for him/her to learn about this disease!

Rardito likes this.
  5. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I’ll post an journal article I have on 5 cats treated with Vetoryl tomorrow that you can send to the vet

Rardito likes this.
  6. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Rardito likes this.
  7. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Rardito likes this.
  8. Ana & Frosty (GA)

JeffJ and Rardito like this.
  9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That is an unfortunate result, but at least you now know the cause of the issues. Vetoryl is the typically given, as Ana already mentioned.

Ana & Frosty (GA) and Rardito like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.