Thelma first curve, increase dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katface, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Katface

Katface Member

Today is 1 week since diagnoses, and a food switch (dry wilderness grain free to tiki cat and fancy feast) her numbers are pretty consistently high, shes been getting .5 twice daily 9am/9pm do I increase her dose to .75? Thelmas Chart or wait until she's been on the wet food longer? I will have to miss the last curve today (2 hours before pmps) thanks for any help!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If you have completed the change over of food to low carb wet you can increase the dose to 0.75 units. If not you need to wait until the change over of food is complete. You don’t want to be doing the changeover to low carb and increasing the dose at the same time.

3. Katface

Katface Member

how long does the change over take? she's been on wet 1 full week now

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If she’s been on wet for a week you are ok to Increase the dose. As you are doing SLGS you will hold the new dose for a week unless she drops under 50 ( this is incorrect.. it should read under 90) in which case you would reduce the dose. Under 90 is the take action number where you give high carb food to bring the number up higher.
    If this happens I would post and ask for help.
    I suggest posting each day so we can see how she is going.
    Good luck with the new dose!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Reason for edit: Corrected mistake
  5. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Just a minor clarification, I believe with SLGS the take action and or reduction number would be 90.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yrs
    thanks @Christie & Maverick !! I’ll correct it!!
    I remember double checking it was a human meter not a pet meter! Then went with 50 not 90. Appreciate you picking that up!!!

7. Frogster

Frogster Member

Ehem... I believe 90 is a reduction number, not a take action number. Take action number is 50 on both protocols. But I'll happily hide under the table if I'm wrong ) What's the logic in rushing a kitty away from healthy numbers?

8. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Perhaps a few comments for clarification, and others are welcome to chime in. With SLGS, from my experience, in general the goal really is to achieve flat numbers that are above 90. Once a kitty drops under 90 their dose is reduced. Perhaps the phrase "take action" is something that has room for interpretation. I wholeheartedly agree that if a kitty falls under 50 regardless of the dosing method, intervention with higher carb food is necessary. But there are instances when a caregiver may feel that using some carbs to bring numbers up or keep them from dropping are needed. I consider that "taking action". There aren't really any hard and fast rules, that's why it is a guideline...it all depends on how your cat responds to insulin, and how they respond to different carbs....Know Thy Cat. For example, let's say my cat drops under 90 at +2. To me, that would signal time to feed some carbs, it is way too early in the cycle and kitty may still drop further. I might feed some higher LC or even MC and test again to make sure the carbs I'm intervening with are flattening out the drop. I'm taking action to affect the cycle.

Again, understanding of basic concepts is key in this whole process: concepts of onset (length of time the insulin reaches bloodstream and begins to lower blood glucose), nadir (lowest point in the cycle) and duration (how long does the dose continue to lower BG).

In this case, the OP's cat is newly diagnosed, and they are just beginning to understand the basic concepts and gathering data on their cat. There are other considerations too, like how often a caregiver can test. For safety's sake, until a caregiver on SLGS knows how their cat responds to insulin and how carbs affect their cat, I would suggest take action under 90 is prudent. We of course always suggest if someone is unsure they post for help here on the forum, since circumstances vary.

Many people start out with SLGS because by its nature, it is less aggressive than TR and will tend to keep kitties in higher numbers, and some people need that. When I first started, I was petrified of giving insulin and having to go to work and not know how low Maverick was getting during the day.

Katface, Briere Fur Mom and Frogster like this.
  9. Katface

Katface Member

Thank you for all your help!