? Thinking of lowering again

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MamaMug, Apr 3, 2019.

1. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

We bumped down to 1.5u a few days ago. We've still have a few occasions where we couldn't shoot, resulting in a moderately (yellow) high number on the next cycle. I'm wondering if 1.25 might be better for the time being so that we could gain some consistency. Should I give it a few more cycles or just go ahead and drop down another quarter?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, I would lower again. Gato is looking good! :D

MamaMug likes this.
  3. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I went with a skinny 1.5 today because I was a bit unsure. I think if we can shoot tomorrow 1.25 is the goal. It's so hard to discern half and quarter units on U-40s. I think I'm going to have to get some U-100s for my tired eyes! Miscalculating conversions scares me a bit, might have to see if my partner can build me a little converter formula in our sheet with his excel wizardry.

4. Djamila

It's already been created: http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

So if you wanted to give 1.2u (the closest to 1.25 you can get on a u100), you would draw the insulin to the line for 3. Easy peasy. ;):bookworm:

Although my hunch is you won't have to be at 1.25u for long. :D

MamaMug likes this.
  5. Djamila

I'm glad to see your note about setting an alarm for tonight. If he tries to wake you up before then, listen to him. Some kitties will let us know when they are going low. My guy pats my face quite insistently, and if I don't wake up, he'll bust out the claws and tap with a little more intent! :eek:

Silvia and MamaMug like this.
  6. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

That's amazing! Frustratingly enough, he doesn't come upstairs or get in bed with us like our civvies. He's always content to nap downstairs during the night. I'm going to try to get a +3 or +4 before bed, and adjust my midcycle alarm if needed.

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  7. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Ooof. We were in no shoot territory this morning once again. Definitely will need to go down. Is there any harm in skipping quarter increments and just going down to 1u?

8. Djamila

Nope. No harm. Sounds like a good idea.

9. Djamila

Nope. No harm. Sounds like a good idea.

MamaMug likes this.
  10. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I was looking over Gato's spreadsheet. I laughed out loud when I saw that you noted what he eats for "breffas!"

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  11. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Breffas is the most important meal of the day!

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  12. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Absolutely!

13. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

My poor little cats are sooo hungry for breffas now, because I don't leave any dry food for them to munch on during the night. My 14 year old calico has expressed extreme disappointment in me.

MamaMug and Jasper Blue and Jay like this.
  14. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Yep. I just stepped on a paw and created chaos becayse I had the audacity to be stacking new cans of food in the kitchen within an hour of dinner.

Have you tried Dr Elseys for dry food? Our littlest likes it as a mix in. Gato literally doesn't chew it, he swallows the little kibbles like pills within 2 seconds! And Keesmo despises it with a passion. So, a bit of a miss for us, but I know a lot of folks like it for low carb day kibble.

15. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I just ordered a 2 lb bag from Chewy this morning. I want to use it as a snack, because right now I'm letting Jack eat a little bit (a few morsels) of low-carb dry food as a treat. He also gets freeze dried minnows and freeze-dried shrimp. But it occurred to me, last night, that I don't think he should have that little bit of carb even as a snack. So, we'll see what they all think about it. They all easily took to wet food, but I know that my sugar baby misses his dry kibble. I test him in the bathroom so I keep his treats under the bathroom sink, in a cabinet. The last couple of days, he's taken to running down the hallway and standing in front of that cabinet when he wants a treat. It's really cute.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    MamaMug likes this.
  16. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Stepping on paws really can cause a ruckus. I stepped on Jacke's tail the other day, and when I picked him up and told him I was sorry, he punched me in the nose! I saw stars!

17. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Testing sure is easy when they're treat motivated! We tried the freeze dried shrimp today and Gato was a madman for them! Everyone else just looked at me like I was crazy.

18. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

It's the same here! Jack loves the shrimp, but the others just don't get the appeal. My other ginger tabby (the girl) likes it a little, but Jack devours it!